Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB - New Tariff - Be careful

Options
  • 31-01-2011 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a business and he was approached by Bord Gáis to sign over to them for electricity. He said he would think about it and he then rang ESB and told them BG were offering cheaper electricity.

ESB said they would put him on a new tariff for his business called "Prime" and his unit rate was reduced by 15% and he was over the moon. When he got his bill he paid it and popped it off to the accountant who in turn rang him and pointed out that yes his unit rate had been reduced BUT his standing charge had went from €149.65 per year or €0.41c per day to €934.98 per year or €2.5616 per day. This is an increase of 600%.

The rep in ESB never told him this,they just sold it to him saying it was 15% less that BG.

Please guys and gals if you are in business be aware of this and check all details when getting a quote. I was burnt by Airtricity and Energia over they years and the only company i can vouch for is BG because after 4 years with them i am yet to be ripped off.

I have only seen this on a commercial tariff but as ESB are now fully de-regulated this could very well creep in on domestic bills.

Just wanted to warn people of this new tariff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

you obviously have some sort of personal vendetta aganst the ESB posting identical psots in multiple forums.

He changed tarriff - if he checked the publicly available tarriff sheets he would have seen that a different standing charge applies. Its not an increase of 600% its a different pricing tariff. - Suitable for a high user of electricity.

Not a rip off - and electricity prices are now cheaper in Ireand than Germany, France, Netherlands, Denmark and even many of the UK companies (recent 8% increase in UK) and now lower than EU average.

Advertisement