Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding another socket to radial circuit

Options
  • 31-01-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I want to add an extra socket (maybe 2) in my shed/open garage. It was wired last year.

The only socket in the open shed is on a radial circuit (it does not go back to the consumer unit in the shed (as far as I can see)).

Is it safe for me to add a junction box and connect in another double socket (weather protected kind) to this? Or is it safe to spur off the existing socket?

Finally what kind of length of cable can I use at maximum? 5 meters would allow me to put one on the wall opposite the current socket (where I need it).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I don't see the need for a junction box. You can just run a cable from the existing socket to the new socket. And from there, run another cable to a 3rd socket if required. There's no need to make a ring - that seems to be what you are worried about, i think?

Over that short distance, 2.5 cable will be fine. You might like to add conduit for mechanical protection but that might be over-kill as regards your setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Yes - my worry was that it was not a ring - I can understand how to spur off a ring main (have done it before). Just wasn't sure about spurring off a radial. Thanks for the clear answer!

Advertisement