Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet WebTV, Watch Free Irish TV Channels live

• 31-01-2011 4:50pm

Watch RTE 1, RTE2, TV3, 3e and TG4 on the internet for free live: https://www.magnetwebtv.ie register now and get a coupon for a free pizza from the Pizza hut either online or over the phone.

I imagine this would be good for students that are living in apartments and don't want to pay for TV licenses.

All you need is a 1MB connection ( So I suppose in rural areas even Mobile broadband could work OR on the go)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I think you have to be a Magnet customer to avail of this service

Nemeses wrote: »

Well unless Magnet and Vodafone partnered there's no ties. In fact I'm watching Judge Judy right now on my computer. All you need is a 1MB connection and adobe flash.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nemeses wrote: »

It works on my UPC connection, but a different Irish IP is blocked. There's some form of geo-blocking in place, probably just a whitelist of the main ISPs in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Interesting. I tried it on another connection (Irish Fixed Wifi) and told me that I wasn't able to view because I wasn't a Magnet BB customer. I am a magnet customer at home.
    Interesting.. I'll try it here at work ;)

Update : Fricking awesome! I was clearly wrong. works here no bother. must be this fixed wifi so. ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Great to see.

This is the first step towards true internet TV. I hope Magnet expand their packages soon.

• Advertisement

There should be no problems with any Irish ISPs. BBC and channel 4 and other English channels require the Magnet broadband and €3.99 a month but the Irish channels are all free. Makes me proud to live in Ireland! I'd like to see a iOS application! Android is ok because it has flash anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

Watching now on my HTC desire.Good find.

vandriver wrote: »
    Watching now on my HTC desire.Good find.

1. Is it smooth?
    2. Does the sound work?

I'd see this used for students that don't want TV licences and have Laptops and watching Good TV on the go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

Tested on wifi and 3 signal. Works really well. The sound is clear and the picture is smooth with only very slight stuttering every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Good for using up your cap,

I'll stick to a USB DTT stick on Laptop and get 6 TV channels +10 Radio. With DVD quality, and part time HD.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Good for using up your cap,

I'll stick to a USB DTT stick on Laptop and get 6 TV channels +10 Radio. With DVD quality, and part time HD.

I dunno, I have a 270GB DSL cap and I can monitor it, also remember it's SD and the requirement is quite low, 1 MBPs! Remember that youtube needs about 2 megabytes to stream 360P at a medium bit-rate.

Hehe as a nerd that loves Pizza boo ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Like Watty said, most of the country don't have the option to avail of this because of the crap broadband packages/providers here.

Ten years from now I doubt much will have changed either.

Out of curiosity watty, where can I get USB DTT stick and what are the 6 channels you get? (3e by any chance?) Saves me spending hours looking it up.:o

Loads of Places. Windows 7 needs no software. If using XP/Vista you need stick with good supplied software.

Yes 3e is FTA on Saorview. PayTV otherwise. http://www.saortv.info/channels/

USB DTT sticks
    About €9 to €15 online for single Tuner (€20 to €35 in Maplin, PC World etc).
    About €28 to €32 for dual tuner online (need for PVR when 2nd Mux starts).
    Review of Dual Tuner (suitable for PVR) http://www.techtir.ie/reviews/mobidtv-dual-usb-dtt.
    Make sure what you buy for windows (XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Win7, no earlier versions) has a BDA driver, and if not for Windows 7, that it has full application with bundled Codec. Some makes the Application has MHEG5, which is really needed. Windows 7 has MHEG5 and MPEG4 built in. DVB-T or DVB-T2 works. HD and MPEG4 is purely your PC, not the stick.

You need a better aerial than one with it unless you can see the mast
    UHF is what is needed: http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

If using Linux or Apple see http://www.techtir.ie/node/1003625

If you have a PC with PCI slots and somewhere for a Dish, then you can have HD Satellite PVR at 1/10th of price of a good "Freesat HD" PVR.

With a PC and the size of drives now and a Dual Tuner USB Stick, even when Irish DTT is 9 or 10 channels you could record all channels continuously (About 48Mbps data rate) on rotating 1 week basis, and simply browse the last 7 days, never need to schedule recordings and mark what you want to keep. Potentially true instant HD quality VOD!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

I imagine this would be good for students that are living in apartments and don't want to pay for TV licenses.

I believe the law was changed recently to take into account watching TV on a computer screen. I never thought students gave much thought into paying for a TV license.

I do know a few people that have good broadband and crap terrestrial reception. This could work for them.
    Is this going to be a long term service from Magnet?

I dunno, I have a 270GB DSL cap and I can monitor it, also remember it's SD and the requirement is quite low, 1 MBPs! Remember that youtube needs about 2 megabytes to stream 360P at a medium bit-rate.

Hehe as a nerd that loves Pizza boo ya!
    1Mbps? Rubbish quality/frame rate then. For RTE1 & RTE2, then RTE's own site may be as good.
    We use 512k bps for personal media player encoding, 3.5" and 4.3" screens. More than a 7" screen and this will look rubbish compared to a real TV broadcast, which are all migrating to HD.

This is nearly just a stunt. Unless there is massive infrastructure and Fibre to Home/Kerb, then TV on Web is about 1/4 the quality of 1936 405 Line TV, just coloured. Better than a Baird Televisor though.

This isn't remotely like proper TV viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jom1133

Can't seem to even sign up for this - tried to register but nothing happens and haven't received email confirmationo... unalbe to log in etc...

1Mbps? Rubbish quality/frame rate then. For RTE1 & RTE2, then RTE's own site may be as good.
    We use 512k bps for personal media player encoding, 3.5" and 4.3" screens. More than a 7" screen and this will look rubbish compared to a real TV broadcast, which are all migrating to HD.

This is nearly just a stunt. Unless there is massive infrastructure and Fibre to Home/Kerb, then TV on Web is about 1/4 the quality of 1936 405 Line TV, just coloured. Better than a Baird Televisor though.

This isn't remotely like proper TV viewing.
    You should just check out the quality yourself. I mean some people don't care about infranstrucutres and fibre and kerbs and just want to watch Border Control :D

I believe the law was changed recently to take into account watching TV on a computer screen. I never thought students gave much thought into paying for a TV license.

Google chrome ignoto mode. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

"Showing results for "chrome incognito mode". Search instead for "chrome ignoto mode"" ;)

"Showing results for "chrome incognito mode". Search instead for "chrome ignoto mode"" ;)

Chortal dude, I use safari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

jom1133 wrote: »
    Can't seem to even sign up for this - tried to register but nothing happens and haven't received email confirmationo... unalbe to log in etc...

Hi There,

There's an issue with the registration page on the current version of the site if you're coming from particular versions of IE (7 in particular). We'll be putting a fix up for it later this afternoon.

Could you let me know what browser you are using to access it?

Many Thanks
    Adrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gruser

changing channel doesnt seem to work in chrome. works fine in ie7

You should just check out the quality yourself. I mean some people don't care about infranstrucutres and fibre and kerbs and just want to watch Border Control :D

Don't make assumptions

146075.jpg

IMO this is a stunt to gather User info for marketing. They already have fibre and TV feeds for their real TV customers.

Some people are just easily satisfied.

How many are reading the Terms and Conditions?

How many have tried RTE's own web player or Free Digital TV via an aerial?

Don't make assumptions

146075.jpg

IMO this is a stunt to gather User info for marketing. They already have fibre and TV feeds for their real TV customers.

Some people are just easily satisfied.

How many are reading the Terms and Conditions?

How many have tried RTE's own web player or Free Digital TV via an aerial?

The only terms and conditions is about the pizza. Link me up! Also why use RTE's web player / TV3 as you have to wait for the program to air on TV before using it, and not all programs are available for catchup: For e.g RTE showed Eastwick at night and never archived those episodes and your on a bus home or something (that was a bad example). I already have digital TV ( expect it's not a fancy one where you get billions of channels and record it. I just use iTunes TV HD)

Edit: Yea sue me Fig 3.3 on T&C

3. Acceptable Use
    You agree that any use by You of the Webtv Site shall be in accordance with the following conditions:
    3.1 You will not copy, record, download, reproduce, republish, frame, broadcast, transmit any of the Service in any manner whatsoever.
    3.2 You will not do anything that affects the operation or security of the Webtv Site or causes unreasonable inconvenience or offence or disruption to our staff or users.
    3.3. Magnet Networks reserves the right to alter, edit, modify, remove or shut down all or part of the Webtv Website or its contents without notice.

Your my hero....

Still, I think this will be fine. Magnet has enough coin and it's not like RTE player is giving us HD here.

You are stunningly missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kentaree

Gruser wrote: »
    changing channel doesnt seem to work in chrome. works fine in ie7

I ran into this issue too, turned out the by Adblock not liking something on the site. I turned it off for the site and I could change channels again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yay, free marketing with something thats already free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gruser

Kentaree wrote: »
    I ran into this issue too, turned out the by Adblock not liking something on the site. I turned it off for the site and I could change channels again

lovely thats it sorted thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

Last I heard, RTE's claims were thrown out.

Quality was pretty bad when I did a quick look, but then it's free...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

"Login failed. Bad credentials" keeps coming up.

Tried multiple password resets. Argh:(

Advertisement