Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No picture,no beeps

• 31-01-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

ok so i came home today and went to start up my pc and i get nothing,no picture on the monitor and no beeps from the machine,i tried the monitor with another pc and its fine so can rule that out straight away,ive also stripped everything out bar 1 stick of ram and still nothing,any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

maccer666 wrote: »
    ok so i came home today and went to start up my pc and i get nothing,no picture on the monitor and no beeps from the machine,i tried the monitor with another pc and its fine so can rule that out straight away,ive also stripped everything out bar 1 stick of ram and still nothing,any help greatly appreciated

If it's hardware you'll have to do some more troubleshooting. Like removing one piece at a time and trying to boot it up. Even changing the RAM to another slot when you get down that far.

I know this is a pretty stupid question, but have you ensured that the power cable is seated ok and that it's plugged in? Also the red switch at the back for voltage. Make sure that hasn't been tampered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maccer666

ok thanks ill try that and see how i get on,also yes tried the power cables and that:D,all good there,have my green light on the mobo so guessing its not a psu issue.

got it sorted,just popped the cmos out for abit then she booted up first time,dnt know why i didnt try that before posting on here :p,guess im having one of those days:confused::confused:,thanks for your reply

ok seems that was only a temp solution as im having the same problem again,anyone out there got any ideas,really bugging me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Has your graphics card become loose. Sounds like a graphics card problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

practice wrote: »
    Has your graphics card become loose. Sounds like a graphics card problem.

Well I wouldnt have suggest that unless he had been moving around the PC and caused the card to move.. I certainly have had issues with having to reseat video cards a number of times, but you would think it should beep if this was the case....

Sounds like either component on the board or PSU.. What I would do is as follows:
    Plug out everything.. until you are down to the board and the PSU.. If there is onboard video, plug out the video card.. try to power on.. If you had access to an old/spare power supply in an old PC, I would pull it out and try it..

Well I wouldnt have suggest that unless he had been moving around the PC and caused the card to move.. I certainly have had issues with having to reseat video cards a number of times, but you would think it should beep if this was the case....

Sounds like either component on the board or PSU.. What I would do is as follows:
    Plug out everything.. until you are down to the board and the PSU.. If there is onboard video, plug out the video card.. try to power on.. If you had access to an old/spare power supply in an old PC, I would pull it out and try it..

Hi,i have tried to reset the graphics card and problem was still there,also have no on board graphics so it has to stay in there,i stripped it dwn to the bare minimum last nite and also tried a different psu and it powered on fine but once i shut it down or restart im getting the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Swap,round the ram chips, could you borrow a pci grahics card, pci not pci -express,try that.DISCONNECT ALL DRIVES,HD AND CDROM,DVD .
    ITS either faulty ram chip,faulty grahics card ,or faulty motherboard.

ricman wrote: »
    Swap,round the ram chips, could you borrow a pci grahics card, pci not pci -express,try that.DISCONNECT ALL DRIVES,HD AND CDROM,DVD .
    ITS either faulty ram chip,faulty grahics card ,or faulty motherboard.

I'll try that if i can get my hands on one,think all i have is a pci-e and an old agp card lying around,heres to hoping its the graphics card or ram,last thing i need is to be shopping for a new mobo. :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Did you try taking popping the battery out again.

Some machines (pretty rare) wont boot if the cmos battery needs replacing.

Disconnect as many components as you can, and use a different power supply if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

hearny wrote: »
    Did you try taking popping the battery out again.

Some machines (pretty rare) wont boot if the cmos battery needs replacing.

Disconnect as many components as you can, and use a different power supply if possible.

yup failing CMOS batteries will cause errors with boot up.

also failing capacitors with cause this too..... how old is your motherboard?

yup failing CMOS batteries will cause errors with boot up.

also failing capacitors with cause this too..... how old is your motherboard?

Ok,ill pick up a new Cmos on my way home and try that,motherboard is about 4-5 years old but i only changed the Cmos about a year ago.

Ive tried disconnecting everything except my psu 1 stick of ram and my graphics card and still nothing,should be getting a pci graphics card on thursday as an earliar poster suggested.

Some pcs,need 2 IDENTICAL,ram chips, 1 in slot 0,one in slot 1, to boot up.TAKE OUT, cmos battery, leave out, for 4 mins,put back in, make sure pc power cable is plugged out, from power socket.Reboot pc.peats sell a basic pci grahics card,15 euro,approx, see peats.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you changed the CMOS battery a year ago its unlikely to be that. Perhaps you could test the graphics card in the other PC you tested the monitor on ?

still the same after changing Cmos and trying different ram chips,i have 2 matching pairs and have tried them them in pairs and singlely and all together also i cant used the the card from the other pc as it has on board graphics,hopefully i can get that pci card today,once i get it ill post up my results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I meant test the card from the PC that does not work in the one that does. Sometimes a PC with onboard graphics will have a free slot. Is yours AGP/PCI/??

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I meant test the card from the PC that does not work in the one that does. Sometimes a PC with onboard graphics will have a free slot. Is yours AGP/PCI/??

sorry,i misunderstood you,cant check anyway as my graphics card is pci-e and the free slot on the pc with onboard graphics is AGP.

ok so this is where im at,got a old pci graphics card,didnt work,also tested my pci-e card in a mates pc and it worked no problem so can rule that at,so i guess its down to either ram or motherboard.

this may be a silly question but could it be anything to do with the cpu?

You could put a music cd,connect the cdrom drive, or put in a bootable cd,eg linux,or windows os cd, does it try and acess the disc.IF so thats a sign the motherboard is still working, id just buy another mobo, and cpu and rebuild the pc .

ricman wrote: »
    You could put a music cd,connect the cdrom drive, or put in a bootable cd,eg linux,or windows os cd, does it try and acess the disc.IF so thats a sign the motherboard is still working, id just buy another mobo, and cpu and rebuild the pc .

think thats settled it,think the mobos dead :mad:,looks like ive to go shopping so,i just taught that when the mobo dies that the light on it wouldnt come on anymore,it does on mine thats why i was thinking it was somethings else,tks for you help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I have been following this thread with interest as i have a acer desktop with the exact same problem,mine worked when i booted without any cmos battery in the m-board.

strangely i turned it on last night and it booted just fine and ran everything no problem then i shut it down but tried to boot up today and problem was back,could that still be faultly mobo.

could be a resister,capacitor, on the mobo,once it reaches a certain temp,it stops working.Thats why it booted up,,ie ifthe mobo is cold it may boot up, but it still needs replacing.Best to buy a new motherboard.
    resistance in an electronic component in a circuit varys with the tempeture ,especially if the motherboard is faulty.

Advertisement