Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like sandy bridge is gonna be recalled due to design flaw..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have one of them, bugger!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Alas, the reward for being an early adopter is almost always PAIN! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Not good. Anybody thinking they were taking a shortcut with the 6-series chipset?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

$300 million ouch, even for a company of Intels size :o

Posting up the full text for Tea_Bag
    A problem requiring a "silicon fix" is bad news in the chipset business, and sadly that's what Intel is announcing. Its new Intel 6 Series chipset, Cougar Point, has been found to have a flaw, something to do with the SATA controller. Intel is indicating that the ports can "degrade over time," leading to poor i/o performance down the road. All shipments have been stopped and a fix has been implemented for new deliveries, but it sounds like recalls will be starting soon for those with this ticking time bomb silicon within. It isn't a critical problem right now, though, so if you own a Sandy Bridge Core i5 or Core i7 system keep computing with confidence while looking for a recall notice, but it is bad news for Intel's bottom line: the company is advising a $300 million hit to revenue.

Not good. Anybody thinking they were taking a shortcut with the 6-series chipset?

Most certainly. The more functionality migrates to the CPU, the less the chipset has to do, and the sloppier they get making them. It wasn't just performance reasons that is causing this integration - its also cheaper and more economical. Thus shortcuts are taken and Failblog inevitably follows...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

happy out with my i5-760 now so ! :pac:

+1 :D:P It would be years before an mITX P67 came out anyway! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

holy!!! i am too sure i should be happy or not lol (didnt help any friend to make sandy bridge build)

hope everyone get their refunds back tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

and the 3 month wait begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I was thinking of going to this chip next. If it is garbage, would people recommend AMD? If so anything current of upcoming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

......and the cougar point chipset is mostly made in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

grizzly wrote: »
    I was thinking of going to this chip next. If it is garbage, would people recommend AMD? If so anything current of upcoming?

They're hardly "garbage"... They still piss all over anything else out there right now (in the opinion of a biased owner), and I'm sure I'll have no problem getting a replacement.
    This only affects the 3GBPs ports anyway, so someone with a P8P67 Pro like myself still has 4 other unaffected ports...

If you're thinking of buying, I'd say just hold off a few weeks and be careful that you're getting newer stock which hopefully won't have this issue

From one of the links above;
    Intel maintains that Sandy Bridge CPUs are not affected, and current users are highly unlikely to encounter the issue even under heavy loads. So far Intel has only been able to document the issue after running extended testing at high temperatures (in a thermal chamber) and voltages
    Thread title is kind of misleading...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Diamond7

Help needed guys!

I just spotted this thread and i'm freaking out...
    I just recieved my i5 sandybridge cpu from intel a few days ago and was about to place an order for everything else to hardwareversand to build my first PC. I have read all the links from this thread but am still very unclear as to whats happening.
    The problem is on the mobo is this correct? The engadget link says its only the P67 chipset not the H67 if so i would be fine.

The chip is still in the (opened)box. What should i do? Any ideas where I can get more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Diamond7 wrote: »
    Help needed guys!

I just spotted this thread and i'm freaking out...
    I just recieved my i5 sandybridge cpu from intel a few days ago and was about to place an order for everything else to hardwareversand to build my first PC. I have read all the links from this thread but am still very unclear as to whats happening.
    The problem is on the mobo is this correct? The engadget link says its only the P67 chipset not the H67 if so i would be fine.

The chip is still in the (opened)box. What should i do? Any ideas where I can get more info?

From Intel.
    In some cases, motherboards featuring the 6 Series Chipset (P67 & H67) that have Sata devices connected to ports 2-5 could potentially degrade over time.

Motherboards with devices connected to Ports 0 & 1 remain unaffected

So you can still use ports 0 and 1 with no issues while you wait and see if they will recall the mobo or not.I think its only a small percentage of newer mobos that have the fault.
    It will be at a good few weeks before the new mobos ship so you have to decide should you buy now and risk having to go through the hassle of swaping mobos if the mobo you buy needs to be recalled (albeit it a very small chance) or just wait for new versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Diamond7

Thanks Game4it70

My instinct is to just go for it, but seen as i havn't baught any mobo yet i'd love to find out more.

Solitaire wrote: »
    +1 :D:P It would be years before an mITX P67 came out anyway! :p

Me and my big mouth banghead.gif

At least it's a H67 - no OCing for you! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just noticed on dabs description for the Asus P8P67 that it should be unaffected due to using a Marvel controller and not Intel.

My PC suddenly refused to boot for me the other day (fans spin, stop and repeat with no beeps) and in the course of trying to solve the problem I did what I usually do and start to think of using it as an excuse to do a new build :) I have a new PSU coming and if that doesn't fix it then I'm probably going to say sod it and move to sandybridge.

Serious withdrawal symptoms here especially seeing as I watch TV on my PC too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mewso wrote: »
    Just noticed on dabs description for the Asus P8P67 that it should be unaffected due to using a Marvel controller and not Intel.

Sounds like a crock of **** to me... The 4 x 3GBPs ports use an Intel controller:confused:

/edit
    On re-reading that Dabs page, they only really say that 4 of the 8 ports available won't develop the issue :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

marco_polo wrote: »
    $300 million ouch, even for a company of Intels size :o

Posting up the full text for Tea_Bag

300m is the spare change they find down the back of the couch in the janators room. Didn't they just post record fiscal year profits? Still, it's pretty nasty on the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Ah feck, got a P8P67 PRO last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Just bought an Asus N53s the other week. Seems I've dodged a bullet on this one, the 2630QM is unaffected. Happy Friday :-)

Check here to see if you are affected:
    http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Products/Processors/chipset.htm

20goto10 wrote: »
    Just bought an Asus N53s the other week. Seems I've dodged a bullet on this one, the 2630QM is unaffected. Happy Friday :-)
    Hate to burst your bubble, but there is nothing wrong with any of the processors. It's their chipsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So me new PC is already suffering problems and I haven't even got the thing yet. :(

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is nothing wrong with any of the processors. It's their chipsets.

Yes and the 2630QM does not use the faulty chipsets. <B><snip></B>

Edit: apologies for the incorrect information, anything purchased after 9th of Jan MAY be affected.

Follow the steps in the link to see if you are affected.

Yes and the 2630QM does not use the faulty chipsets. Not only that but if you purchased after the 9th of January then you are unlikely to be affected.

Follow the steps in the link to see if you are affected.
    Sandy Bridge wasn't out before 9th of January... Therefore, if this is affecting all Cougar point chipsets, which it is, your laptop will be using one of those chipsets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Your link says if you purchased it after Jan 9th then you may be affected but you are not affected if you purchased before then.

mewso wrote: »
    Your link says if you purchased it after Jan 9th then you may be affected but you are not affected if you purchased before then.

Ah yes of course. Apologies I'm on a smart phone. Like I say, follow the steps. No need to listen to me or anyone else after that.

Sandy Bridge wasn't out before 9th of January... Therefore, if this is affecting all Cougar point chipsets, which it is, your laptop will be using one of those chipsets.

No hang on, you're right about the date I got that backwards. But I'm still in the clear because the i7 2630QM does not use the faulty chipset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

No hang on, you're right about the date I got that backwards. But I'm still in the clear because the i7 2630QM does not use the faulty chipset.

Your not in the clear.. All Sandy bridge CPU's are UNAFFECTED. Its the chipset that is the issue. That page you quoted above is actually missing some processors so its misleading. The correct way to determine if you have the issue is if you are using the series 6 chipset. Details here

Advertisement