Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like sandy bridge is gonna be recalled due to design flaw..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

20goto10 wrote: »
    No hang on, you're right about the date I got that backwards. But I'm still in the clear because the i7 2630QM does not use the faulty chipset.
    It uses Cougar Point chipsets. These are the chipsets being recalled. To put it simply - if you're using a sandy bridge cpu, this affects you. Although it's not an immediate concern, so don't worry about it. You're best off contacting your laptop manufacturer and see what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Thanks guys. I spoke to Intel and everything you say is correct. If you have the chipset shown in lynchie's link then you've got the flaw.

Sorry for any confusion :o

Pain in the rocks, my laptop will eventually have to be shipped back to Asus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

20goto10 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I spoke to Intel and everything you say is correct. If you have the chipset shown in lynchie's link then you've got the flaw.

Sorry for any confusion :o

Pain in the rocks, my laptop will eventually have to be shipped back to Asus.
    I'd definitely hold off for a while though. You'd want to do it when they have plenty of replacement parts (whether it's a new mobo or a repair) so you get a quick turn around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Tbh it's not like it works this way but I would insist that the replacement be sent out first and on receipt I will return the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the cpu is fine...the problem is in the chipset that certain motherboard use to support the cpu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well new PSU solved my problem so I won't be switching yet. I did the ATI fanboy thing, though, and got a 6950 so a new toy anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

if you were to add a PCi sata card and not use the affected sata ports there would be no problem right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Trevor451 wrote: »
    if you were to add a PCi sata card and not use the affected sata ports there would be no problem right?

Yep - even if the problem did occur by some horrible stoke of luck, you wouldn't notice it due to not using the affected ports.
    I'm in two minds about sending mine back... Currently have 4 sata devices so it'll never really be a problem for me (P8P67 Pro), but at the same time I want to add an SSD at some stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

tman wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about sending mine back... Currently have 4 sata devices so it'll never really be a problem for me (P8P67 Pro), but at the same time I want to add an SSD at some stage...

I would if i where you,just for the resale value alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Jaysus, relax....its all good in sandy hood.......

If you have multiple HDDs and sata DVD etc you MIGHT have a problem sooner or later. The 6 sata and the marvell satas are not affected so for those (LIKE ME) that only have 4 items to install its fine. I will PROBABLY at some stage buy another of the same board and get it 1st then send the old one back and get refunded so I am not without my rig for a week or so. Yes its stupid and yes its messy but not as bad as if the CPU's were faulty.

I have a 2500K @ 4.8ghz with an Asus P8P67 Deluxe and 8GB DDR3 upgraded from a Q9450 rig....and it is FLYING!!!!

BTW

For people with Asus P8P 67 mobos there is a misprint in my manual that might confuse people if the same in theirs. The light blue sata ports (4) are the FAULTY PORTS the dark blue (2) are not the 600 sata ports they are the MARVELL sata ports (ideally use these for DVD ROMs etc. Its the GREY sata ports (2) that are the 600 sata. Use these for the HDDs....they are labelled wrong in my manual. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm using all the sata ports bar one on my asus P8P67 PRO, will this mean I'll definitely run into trouble?

I currently have the SSD with my OS plugged into the 6gb port should I move it to a 3gb one just to prevent possible errors? The cd drive and front ports won't get used much so I can leave them on the 6gb ones but I will still be left with one HD using a 6gb port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

AFAIK it's the 6gb ports you want to be using – keep the 3gb free (if possible) until you get a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm using all the sata ports bar one on my asus P8P67 PRO, will this mean I'll definitely run into trouble?

It's by no means definite... Intel reproduced this issue by putting the machines under extreme stress for a massive duration of time in an already warm environment.

If by some chance this does happen to the average joe, it's not going to happen overnight.
    Just wait until this is all sorted, order a replacement motherboard and then send your original one back for a refund, there's nothing at all to panic about here!

Advertisement