Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Visa options skilled work

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

Sorry if some of the questions I've asked have been covered else where, I have trawled through the threads and NZ immigration website for the answers but can't find what I am looking for.

I've decided to head to NZ to find engineering work.

I only have 115points for the Skilled Migrant Category so I think a WHV visa would be the best option for me. Followed by upgradiung visa type after securing skilled employment.

Has anyone else gone through this way of moving over for a professional career. Did you find it the best option or would it better to go the SMC route?

If by some miracle I get engineering work here or in the UK after I apply for a WHV I won't use the WHV.

Would this stop me from applying/getting a WHV for NZ in the future?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Hi Ditchdigger,

Can't answer your exact question but I'm going over on a Silver Fern Visa this June. It could be another option available to you. The visa initially lasts for 9 months but is extended to 2 years upon gaining work in your chosen field. There is only 300 of these visas given out every year and I think it opens again for 2011 in April. 2010 was the first year of these new visas bing issued.

All the best
    Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ditchdigger

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the silver fern visa approach and decided it wasn't for me.

I want to get out to NZ sharpish, within the next 2-3 months, if i have to (Still waiting on interview outcome in the UK though).

Also the Silver Fern job search visa and Silver Fern practical experience visa would serve the same purpose for me as the WHV followed by SMC visa IF i get a skilled job offer. Unless I'm missing something major!!!!!

Have you got your Silver Fern visa sorted already?

Best of luck when you head down.

Ditchdigger

Yeah I have the Visa sticker in my Passport and now have 6 months to get into NZ (mid June). The Silver Fern option seemed perfect for me as I'm not sure how easy it will be to get work. They approved the visa in just 1 day!

Wow, That's pretty quick turn around on a visa application. I think it is something I would apply for if they still had places open. The new round of SF visas aren't open until the 28th of April but I plan to be in NZ at that stage.

I think it all depends on what industry you are looking to get in with regard picking up work easily. What kind of work are you looking for in NZ?

I'm hoping to pick up work in Civil Engineering so fingers crossed! I'm under no illusions that it will take time and alot of effort on my part to pick this up. I would imagine I will be doing some sort of low skill work before I pick up civils work.

It took a good while to gather all the necessary documentation for the SF visa but it got approved very quickly.

I work in IT and will be searching for IT jobs when I arrive. Probably making some initial phone calls to job agencies before I depart.

One thing I am worried about it getting temporary accommodation for the initial few months.

What part of NZ are you going to? I'm planning on going to Wellington. Have you accommodation sorted?

• Advertisement

I'm going to start in Auckland for a couple of weeks and then head to Christchurch for another couple of weeks. The plan is to have a few meetings with recruiters and hopefully employers set up for these few weeks.

Then i'll pick one of these cities for temporary work while I wait for response/ look for more interviews.

No accommodation set up yet. I've to book flights first!!!

So are you moving for the lifestyle/adventure or can you not find work in IT over here? I thought IT was in demand pretty much anywhere even here.

Yeah IT hasn't been hit really that much with the recession. Very lucky. I'm moving mainly for a lifestyle change and before I get older and less brave. Seems like a good time to try something new.
    Have you been to NZ before?

No, I've never been but from what I've read annd heard it seems to be the best fit for my career options and what I want in a place to live for a few years. I would have prefered to visit first before making up my mind but my budget doesn't stretch that far.

What drew you in particular to wellington?

Are you with a company with offices in NZ? A mate of mine working in IT got a transfer from Ireland to SE Asia with his company. He did not take too much of a pay cut either and currently earns about double what a local doing the same work would get. So it is something you could explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Good amount of IT work right now, mostly permanent roles though there are some contracts. Contract work is your best bet for WHV, otherwise you've got to prove you want to stay and not leave after your year. Wellingtons a lot smaller so less jobs in general but more government and some blue chips here too.There seems to be a good few positions on www.seek.co.nz. I got lucky and got a job that helped me get a 3 year work permit, I should be able to get PR pretty easily if i stay that long.

Plenty of civil engineering jobs in Christchurch right now thanks to the constant aftershocks still :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 damo_87

kelzer wrote: »
    Hi Ditchdigger,

Can't answer your exact question but I'm going over on a Silver Fern Visa this June. It could be another option available to you. The visa initially lasts for 9 months but is extended to 2 years upon gaining work in your chosen field. There is only 300 of these visas given out every year and I think it opens again for 2011 in April. 2010 was the first year of these new visas bing issued.

All the best
    Aidan

Hi Aidan, I'm thinking of applying for the Silver Fern Visa this year. I work in the Film & Television industry but my main reason for going is also a lifestyle change! At the same time, I don't want to go there and end up working a crappy job, I want to get my carer going. Any advice you could give me about applying for the visa?

Thanks
    Damo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 gforgriffin

hi i just want to know how yez got on?... as i'm in NZ at the moment, started in auckland got a few interviews with agencies but most of them didn't want to know me because of the WHV.

i ran out of money as i was waiting for an civil engineering job to come through (4-5 weeks), now i'm doing small jobs just to sustain myself. theirs a lot of talk about Christchurch & engineers but i think its hearsay, i lived there (3-4months) and a small few with lots of experience and getting a tonne of money. but it doesn't seem like they want anyone fresh out of University with minimal experience.

i'm still trying to get in there, but seriously considering moving to Oz, if i've nothing come Nov i'm going.

Advertisement