Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting deposit back.

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Having rented in the past, I've experienced some difficulty in getting my deposit back - being fobbed off, told the money would be put in my account etc.

I am moving very shortly, my current lease is up. I have given the landlord my notice, the apartment has not been damaged in any way and I am planning on thoroughly cleaning it. My utility bills are up to date, all have been paid and I have proof of this.

I paid the deposit in cash and I do still have the receipt for this. Can I request that the landlord returns the deposit to me in cash, and on the day he comes to view my apartment, which is when I'll be handing over the keys?

I don't want to be left without this money again as it is a rather substancial amount and I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of chasing after it for weeks/months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Don't give the keys back until you get your deposit back. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

since you paid the deposit in cash, let the landlord know that you would like it to be returned in cash following inspection and confirmation that all utilities are paid.

Better than telling him on the day, btw, gimme a thousand euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Xiney wrote: »
    since you paid the deposit in cash, let the landlord know that you would like it to be returned in cash following inspection and confirmation that all utilities are paid.

Better than telling him on the day, btw, gimme a thousand euro.

I meant would it be okay to ask in advance that he give it back to me in cash on the day that he calls round, wasn't planning on springing it on him! :) I'm just unsure as to how this getting your deposit thing back normally works because it's never worked out well for me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You can request it but your landlord doesn't have to give it back like that. It's standard that they can take a couple of weeks, Threshold and PRTB will tell you so.

However if you're well organised and you've been a reasonable tenant with a reasonable landlord and you put your request in then there's no real reason for your landlord not to have the cash there and then.

The system for deposits is incredibly poor in Ireland, an organised third party system would take a lot of pressure off the PRTB. I hope you can get it back without fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You can request it but your landlord doesn't have to give it back like that. It's standard that they can take a couple of weeks, Threshold and PRTB will tell you so.

However if you're well organised and you've been a reasonable tenant with a reasonable landlord and you put your request in then there's no real reason for your landlord not to have the cash there and then.

The system for deposits is incredibly poor in Ireland, an organised third party system would take a lot of pressure off the PRTB. I hope you can get it back without fuss.

Myself and the landlord haven't had any problems at all. My rent was always paid on time and the apartment is in perfect condition. I spoke to him on the phone a while ago and I requested the deposit when we meet and he said he will give me a cheque. So that's fine. I've just been worrying about it so much because it took over a year and a solicitors letter to get a previous deposit back.

Thanks a million :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Personally i wouldn't accept the cheque, cash only these days. You paid cash, get cash in return.

Advertisement