Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Italian Sausage

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Alot of the Lasagna recipe's I'm coming across call for this ingredient.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find it, as alot of butchers here in Sligo don't actually sell it :/
    Sligo/Dublin butchers or deli's are the only ones accessible to me so any recommendations would be amazing. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

I think you're probably looking for Mortadella. My missus makes a savage lasagne with it :D

As far as I know many of the large supermarkets (Tescos, Dunnes etc) would have it in their fridges, already sliced.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

rcdk1 wrote: »
    I think you're probably looking for Mortadella. My missus makes a savage lasagne with it :D

As far as I know many of the large supermarkets (Tescos, Dunnes etc) would have it in their fridges, already sliced.

No no no, I know where you can get Mortadella, it's kind of like Bologna. Definitely looking for a smaller sausage.

More like this?
    http://www.brooklynporkstore.com/LARGE_IMAGES/fresh_sausage.jpg

I'd be skinning the actualsausage and just using the meat :)

Thank you for your suggestion though and if I can't find the sausage meat I will definitely give the mortadella a bash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try making it yourself.

Spicy Italian sausage
    2 kg boneless pork shoulder diced
    225g back fat. (note I buy skinless pork belly and use that instead of these two Ing.)
    40g coarse salt
    32g granulated sugar
    16g toasted fennel seeds
    8g toasted coriander seeds
    24 g hungarian paprika
    1g cayenne pepper
    24g fresh oregano leaves
    24g fresh basil leaves
    12g hot red pepper flakes
    6g coarsely ground black pepper
    185ml ice water
    50ml chilled red wine vinegar.

For Sweet Italian sausage
    1800g pork shoulder diced
    450g back fat
    40g salt
    32g sugar
    12g minced garlic
    16g toasted fennel seeds
    6g coarse ground black pepper
    16g sweet spanish paprika
    185ml ice water
    60 ml chilled red wine vinegar

combine all ingredients except water + vinegar and mix throughly.
    Chill until ready to mince.
    Mince ingredients
    add water and vinegar and mix until liquids are absorbed and the mixture looks uniform and sticky about 1min in machine or 2 mins with strong spoon.
    fry and taste for seasoning, and correct if necessary.
    stuff into 6" links or just make into patties and fry if you don't have a sausage maker.

I estimated the ingredient costs for my dish and it was pushing the 30 euro mark (I do round off very generously though so maybe it's a slight exaggeration) but I think I'll just grab some regular 85% pork sausages and smash up some fennel seeds!

I read online that that was the main flavour in an italian sausage anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Hicks sausages should do the trick... you can get them in Donnybrook fair and in their shop in Dun Laoghaire... They're in a bunch of other shops as well...

hicks facebook site

• Advertisement

Living in Sligo and I definitely won't be anywhere near Dublin by Valentines!

I think I'll just get good quality pork sausages and grind up some fennel seeds and a few more ingredients to get a similar flavour to a sweet Italian sausage.
    Thanks for the suggestion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You would be better buying minced pork rather than sausage meat.
    Irish sausage meat is very fine, the real stuff is more coarsely ground, and has a better texture.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You would be better buying minced pork rather than sausage meat.
    Irish sausage meat is very fine, the real stuff is more coarsely ground, and has a better texture.

Wow, I never even thought of that! Thanks a million, that sounds like a really good idea. Think I'll go for that over the sausages now and just incorporate the italian sausage spices into the mix! :)

Advertisement