Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out dispute with landlord-long rant

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I just paid my last 2 weeks rent and I will be moving out in mid February. After I paid the rent the landlord suggested I will have to pay 80 euro for the TV licence bill. There are 2 of us living in the house and the bill was 160 euro and is valid from November 2010 to November 2011. When the bill came in the door the girl in the house didn't want to pay it and suggested we ask the landlord to remove it. I said I was fine with that so I left her to it, this was before Xmas. When I came back after Xmas the TV was still there so I asked her had she not asked the landlord to remove the TV, she said she hadn't but she would soon.

A week later and I came in the door and the bill had been paid with a note on the table stating I paid the bill you owe me 80 euro. I confronted her about this and told her what about our agreement, she just said it had to be paid, obviously she changed her mind. So I said I wouldn't be paying it because of our agreement and she should have at least discussed it with me first. I also told her I would be moving out anyway at the end of the month so she said accepted that. This was about a month ago and today after paying the landlord his last months rent he said I owe for the TV licence as well as he had a complaint from the girl in the house I didn't pay my share of the TV licence.

I told him we had come to an agreement about this and at the very least if I do owe money its to her not him. He also told me theres a big ESB bill that needs to be paid even though a big bill was paid just before Xmas. I left the girl in the house pay the bill and gave her 240 euro before Christmas for my share of the bill. I'm so glad I'm moving out and into my own apartment, I don't know what to do about this situation. I am tempted to threaten to report this to the PRTB because I know he is not a registered landlord.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dont see your problem here.

ESB hasnt been paid since Mid December ESB bills are 2 monthly so ESB is due.

TV licence is the responsibility of the persons living in the house. Who cares who didnt remove it thats not the point.

Whatever argument you have about the TV licence which frankly I dont believe is valid your 110% responsible for the ESB how you can even think your not is beyond me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I dont dispute that there will be some esb but there shouldnt be 240 owed if it was paid in mid december, regarding the licence my dispute is more with the girl in the house not the landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The TV License is also transferrable from house to house.

Also, whatever is on the ESB meter will have to be paid, there's no two ways about it. It's irrelevent what you paid, and when, it was quite possibly an Estimated reading.

testicle wrote: »
    The TV License is also transferrable from house to house.

Also, whatever is on the ESB meter will have to be paid, there's no two ways about it. It's irrelevent what you paid, and when, it was quite possibly an Estimated reading.

I cant bring the licence with me because the girl that im supposed to go halfs with is staying in the house, I know the esb will have to be paid im just worried that the girl I gave the money to didnt pay it all before xmas and thats why its high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I dont dispute that there will be some esb but there shouldnt be 240 owed if it was paid in mid december, regarding the licence my dispute is more with the girl in the house not the landlord

Just ask to see the last bill. It will say if it was an estimate plus you will see how much was paid on it if it was paid in the post office.

Regardless of the agreement with your housemate about the tv licence, you could have asked the landlord yourself to remove it. You do owe for the tv licence IMO. But you are only there for 4 months of that licence so pay your share, 26.66. The tv licence is always a tricky one when living with other people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

I am tempted to threaten to report this to the prtb because I know he is not a regeistered landlord

Report him for what?

You not paying your TV license or ESB bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know the esb will have to be paid im just worried that the girl I gave the money to didnt pay it all before xmas and thats why its high
    Have any proof that you gave her the money? Sounds like she may pull a fast one, if the TV license is anything to go by...

I have had problems with this guy since I moved in because he made his way into the house whenever he felt like it, he wouldnt let us pay him through direct debit or give me a rentbook, if the esb bill is legit I will pay it but I find it hard to believe its so big seeing as it was cleared only a month ago, regarding the tv licence,its valid from the end of nov10 to nov11, why should I pay for half of a tv licence when im not going to be there for most of its term, besides this issue is between me and the other tenent in the house, the tv licence is in her name not mine and it hasnt cost the landlord anything, he has no right to keep part of my deposit for this

I think I have sorted this whole thing out, basically the girl im living with who was in charge of the esb and bord gais bill( I took care of the bins), came to me just before xmas with a bill for both combined at 400 euro and she said this had to be paid before xmas, so I said fair enough and gave her 200 euro my share, sure didnt she just keep the money herself and not pay the bill and just let the thing go into arears, I was livid when the landlord told me the bill was so high and he showed me the exact same bill she did,I confronted her about this and she came clean, I could have taken it further but I was just happy that she admitted it and the current bill is mostly hers to pay, however I have this feeling I ma going to have a problem getting the deposit off the landlord, I asked him to take away what I owe on the bills from the deposit, I spend the day before I moved out cleaning my room, the bathroom and my cupboards and nothing is broken so he can have no complaints in that area, however he allowed himself into the house whenever he liked,wouldnt give me a rent book or let me pay him through the bank with a standing order and im almost sure he is not a regeistered landlord, all these things are making me worry, we will see tomorrow as im calling down with the keys and expect to collect my deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

One full stop! Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beanhead

i would love a 'listen as mp3' icon for this, i'm guessing no breaths taken lol

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ebixa82 wrote: »
    One full stop! Seriously?

If you have a problem with a post, please report it to a moderator.

Advertisement