Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent 'number not recognised' on my home number

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Recently, on the odd occasion that I have called my home number from my mobile, I have gotten a message stating that the number has not been recognised.
    The first time this happened, I called a family member and asked them to try from their landline, and they said the got a similar message.

Last week, I called eircom support, and was told to check the devices I had connected in the house. I asked what sort of checks I should do, she said to plug them out until the line started working. I explained a couple of times that this was an intermittent problem, and one that I only became aware of when I tried to call in, and that was pretty much the end of the call. She took my number, but I don't expect to hear from anyone.

So, eircom, what sort of tests should I be doing? All I have in the house are 2 phones and a Zyxel router.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

gerryk wrote: »
    Recently, on the odd occasion that I have called my home number from my mobile, I have gotten a message stating that the number has not been recognised.
    The first time this happened, I called a family member and asked them to try from their landline, and they said the got a similar message.

Last week, I called eircom support, and was told to check the devices I had connected in the house. I asked what sort of checks I should do, she said to plug them out until the line started working. I explained a couple of times that this was an intermittent problem, and one that I only became aware of when I tried to call in, and that was pretty much the end of the call. She took my number, but I don't expect to hear from anyone.

So, eircom, what sort of tests should I be doing? All I have in the house are 2 phones and a Zyxel router.

Hi gerryk,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.

I'm abit confused exactly what you mean when you say :

"I have called my home number from my mobile, I have gotten a message stating that the number has not been recognised".

I assume this might mean that your mobile phone operator did not recognise your home phone number.

In this case, you may need to contact your mobile phone operator and ask them if they have any information of a dropped or un-recognised call.

If another caller had the same problem, they may also need to contact their telephone operator/provider, likewise, to see if they have any information on this call.

If your problem is a Phoneline issue and you believe this is an eircom issue, then please call: Phoneline Faults : 1901 (freefone).

If your problem is Broadband related and you believe this is an eircom issue then please call into Broadband Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall).

I think the broadband support technician that you called in eircom, may have been trying to advise that you of a best approach to help resolve your problem : Removing the adsl splitter or any long private phone extension cables may be helpful or may isolate or resolve the problem of interference with your phone line or handset, etc.

She should have probably advised you to call into Phone Line Faults 1901, as this sounds more like a phoneline fault.

However from what you have said it does appear that the fault may lie with a dropped or unrecognised call - and you may need to call your mobile phone provider (in your own case).

If there's any thing else I can help you with please let me know.

All the best
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi Ant... thanks for the reply. To clarify, the unrecognised number happened a number of times from my mobile, but also happened from an eircom landline, so that rules out any inter-carrier miscommunication.

To help with diagnosis, rather than just getting me to try random things, can you give me an indication of what sort of line-fault would cause the problem above. I am pretty familiar with telecoms, transmission line threory and electronics in general, so don't feel that you have to dumb it down.

Also, to clarify, it was phoneline support I spoke to (1901) rather than broadband. I do have broadband issues, but this is purely about the connection failure problem.

I will ask my mobile carrier about dropped calls, but since the problem also happened when my brother tried to call from an eircom landline, I'm not sure what this will prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Anyone? It seems like there are 3 or 4 eircom reps in this forum, and no replies for 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It sounds like something's not setup correctly on the network side.

Your phone number's a little bit like a URL on the internet i.e. 021 999 9999 routes to a particular end point. If, for whatever reason, the database has some glitch in it, it's possible that people calling your line are not getting through as the number is not recognised by the switching system.

Specifically what announcement are you getting?
    That the number isn't recognise/valid or that it's out of service / unavailable / very fast engaged tone?

We had all sorts of issues like this for a few days after we switched over to Smart Telecom. It seems that it takes a while for the new data to work its way through to every local exchange and some people were getting the 'doooo deeee dooo' (wrong number) tone.

Things are a little more complex since they introduced number porting and intelligent network services.

Get onto 1901 and ask for repairs, it's nothing to do with broadband. It's a problem on the telephone voice service.

There's nothing on your line that would physically cause this problem. It's a programming/setup error on the exchange side.

If it's not resolved make a complaint and then escalate to comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

gerryk wrote: »
    Anyone? It seems like there are 3 or 4 eircom reps in this forum, and no replies for 3 days.

Hi gerryk,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I can check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement