Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless reception in my room really bad

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Just wanted to ask if there was anyway I could boost or improve my wireless connection in my room.

I have a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 with Eircom NGB 8mbs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Not being funny, but have you tried moving the router to another location?
    Wireless signals respond badly to things like dense concrete.

You could also change the channel it's working on, and see if there's any improvement.

Short of buying a repeater, I know there are some DIY methods of extending wifi range and/or direction: http://lifehacker.com/296367/boost-your-wireless-signal-with-a-homemade-wifi-extender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PJRStudios

tagoona wrote: »
    Not being funny, but have you tried moving the router to another location?
    Wireless signals respond badly to things like dense concrete.

You could also change the channel it's working on, and see if there's any improvement.

Short of buying a repeater, I know there are some DIY methods of extending wifi range and/or direction: http://lifehacker.com/296367/boost-your-wireless-signal-with-a-homemade-wifi-extender

I cant move my router tho, that's the thing because I have a desktop beside it.
    My router is more or less directly under my room which has my ps3 and laptop so I dont see why it it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

You can check my other reply HERE for reference.
    You know there are lots of things which could affect the signal, first is wireless Mice, Yes they use the same 2.4ghx channels.
    second is microwave ovens. and also some Power showers we use in bath rooms. Set those factors aside, have you tried changing channels like the other poster suggestion? See what you're neighbours are using and avoid them, try use channel 1 ,6 or 11.
    That DIY method works to some extend, while it can direct the signal to a specific direction thus increasing range, the signal quality often suffer, Guess why, you're using some cheap foils or wrapping paper, You'll end up with lots or signal rebounce and errors, and since its directional, it has to be pointing at your clients, not very practical on a router who might have multiple clients. of course you can try that DIY trick on your client and points to the router instead.
    You can also do a search in google or Ebay for some powerful Alfa wireless cards, that should do the trick for most house.

Advertisement