Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got new gun... now what?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Ok So I picked up my new (previously owned) Tikka T3 Lite .223.

It needs a good cleaning before I go shooting and zeroing etc.
    I have the following...

1 x .22 cal cleaning rod with brass wire brush, plastic brush and fabric cleaning tip yolk.

1 x can of brunox turbo spray

1 x bottle of Hoppes elite copper terminator

loads x rags.

Having only ever had a .22 rimfire I'm not used to cleaning centrefire rifles so I would really appreciate it if someone here gives my a blow by blow so I can have this firearm pristine and ready for tomorrow.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Ok So I picked up my new (previously owned) Tikka T3 Lite .223.

It needs a good cleaning before I go shooting and zeroing etc.
    I have the following...

1 x .22 cal cleaning rod with brass wire brush, plastic brush and fabric cleaning tip yolk.

1 x can of brunox turbo spray

1 x bottle of Hoppes elite copper terminator

loads x rags.

Having only ever had a .22 rimfire I'm not used to cleaning centrefire rifles so I would really appreciate it if someone here gives my a blow by blow so I can have this firearm pristine and ready for tomorrow.
    Thanks

brush out teh loose debris with teh brush, then soak a wipe with Copper eliminator, thorroughly wet the inside of the barrel with it.

Then put a few eggs on the boil and do a bit of toast.

When you have eaten and washed up run a dry jag down the bore.
    If there is a lot of crud on it keep running through until she runs mostly clean.

The hoppes stuff is a solvent, solvents make copper soft, when it is liquidy you will get to remove most of it.

Repeat once an eve for a few days and by the weekend she should be clean as a new pin.

There is a veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long cleaning thread.
    Most will agree on teh basics, the purists will all have there own regimes;)

However, regualar cleaning is necessary on a centrefire as she will build up a lot of copper on any round travelling faster than 1500fps

Silicone is a replacement for oil on moving parts, same stuff used in fishing reels etc. (it is a little bit cleaner to use)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Personally, I soak a patch in oil and run it through the bore, then go to town on it with a bronze brush, then brush through with dry patches until they're coming out clean or very slightly grey. Then I soak a few patches in a row with copper solvent and run those through (The bore should be well coated in it). Leave that in for a few minutes, then have another session with the brush, before patching out until they come clean or very slightly grey. I then repeat, leaving again for a few minutes to dissolve the copper, and if all you're getting out on patches after this is the solvent itself, you're sorted. If you're still getting copper, repeat until you're not. I then use a bit more oil to get out anything leftover and patch dry for storage. I'm never confident taking an entirely unfouled rifle out hunting however, so I usually then go and fire a three shot group just to ensure it's where it'll be for the next fifteen to forty shots, depending when I get around to cleaning it again. That's a personal thing though, and it's yet to shoot anywhere but point of aim on the first shot, just a confidence issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Always clean from the the chamber towards the crown and not the other way around. That's about the only point of agreement you'll find amongst people, everybody sort of swears by their own habits. And also, a little drop of oil means exactly that, a little drop.

Advertisement