Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia Programming and Design or Software Development

Options
  • 31-01-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Filling out my CAO form and interested in doing 2 courses in LIT as follows:

Multimedia Programming and Design or Software Development. Does anyone have an opinion on which would offer me better job opportunities?

Irish Eyes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Volsere

I'm not sure about multimedia, but at the end of software development you are pretty much guaranteed a job as the software sector is booming according to one of our lectures. It all depends on which course you would like to do more though as Multimedia has good job prospects as well.

Have you tried programming before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irisheyes121

Hi Volsere,

No I haven't tried programming before. I have done a short Web Design course and loved it. Really like the idea of trying programming but would be a bit worried that it might be out of my depth?

IE

Well programming gets a lot more in depth than html coding does.

However first year of software dev isn't that hard, they break you in slowly.

All you you need is some interest and you'll fly through the year. However if you are more into the design side of things I believe in multimedia you learn how to make things pretty using photoshop and programs like that on their websites and apps.

Whereas anything made in SD is very robust looking as you are only learning how to build programs.

SD is a lot of fun, in 2nd year now and its a massive step up compared to first year, but the stuff we are capable of doing now is a lot more interesting than the black console boxes we made in first year :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 seriousbuns

third year is a bit of a nightmare though, everything starts to pile up after christmas coz you finish up at the end of february and go on placement for 6 months. really lookign forward to it though, except for these goddamn exams :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ScoreX

second year was a bit harder than first, the theory of software development(the class) is quite hard though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

I'm thinking of doing Internet Systems Development. Does anyone know if the maths part is really tough, it's been a while since i did maths.
    Also, do you guys use Macs or PC's at LIT? Thanks.

The maths is nothing to worry about as long as you go to the lectures, the lecturers assume no previous knowledge of maths and we use PCs with windows 7 on them.

Advertisement