Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lemon meringue pie

Options
  • 31-01-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I was big fan of the royal L .M pie mix bit it seems so be gone off the shelves for awhile now . In its place is a mix made by Greens. So i bought it, made it , ate a a slice and threw it out. Really really awful , nasty , bitter and synthetic tasting. Off I went and got a recipe which looked the job but was over poweringly lemon.. eye wateringly sour. We didnt finish that either ! I would love a nice recipe please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

lemons beginning to shrivel ! anyone ? I ll have to resort to a cook book.. I was hoping to get a recipe that had been tried and tested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

This is a recipe I've used before and I was happy with the result. I did find it online and I do sadly use the U.S measurments rather than the normal measurements here but I hope it works :)

Measurement conversions are dead easy to find online.

Lemon Meringue Pie

Makes one 10-inch pie
    For the Crust:
    ¾ cup cold butter; cut into ½-inch pieces
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    ¼ cup granulated sugar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup ice water

For the Filling:
    2 cups water
    1 cup granulated sugar
    ½ cup cornstarch
    5 egg yolks, beaten
    ¼ cup butter
    ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon lemon zest
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Meringue:
    5 egg whites, room temperature
    ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    ¾ cup granulated sugar

For the Crust
    :
    Make sure all ingredients are as cold as possible. Using a food processor or pastry cutter and a large bowl, combine the butter, flour, sugar and salt. Process or cut in until the mixture resembles coarse meal and begins to clump together. Sprinkle with water, let rest 30 seconds and then either process very briefly or cut in with about 15 strokes of the pastry cutter, just until the dough begins to stick together and come away from the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and press together to form a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 20 minutes.
    Allow the dough to warm slightly to room temperature if it is too hard to roll. On a lightly floured board (or counter top) roll the disk to a thickness of ⅛ inch. Cut a circle about 2 inches larger than the pie plate and transfer the pastry into the plate by folding it in half or by rolling it onto the rolling pin. Turn the pastry under, leaving an edge that hangs over the plate about ½ inch. Flute decoratively. Chill for 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 190c . Line the crust with foil and fill with metal pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden. Cool completely before filling.

For the Filling:
    Bring the water to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan. Remove from the heat and let rest 5 minutes. Whisk the sugar and cornstarch together. Add the mixture gradually to the hot water, whisking until completely incorporated.
    Return to the heat and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. The mixture will be very thick. Add about 1 cup of the hot mixture to the beaten egg yolks, whisking until smooth. Whisking vigorously, add the warmed yolks to the pot and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in butter until incorporated. Add the lemon juice, zest and vanilla, stirring until combined. Pour into the prepared crust. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming on the surface, and cool to room temperature.

For the Meringue:
    Preheat the oven to 190c. Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar, salt and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Add the sugar gradually, beating until it forms stiff, glossy peaks. Pile onto the cooled pie, bringing the meringue all the way over to the edge of the crust to seal it completely. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a rack. Serve within 6 hours to avoid a soggy crust.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you very much Loren . I am delighted with that and will get the conversions online as you suggest. Thanks:)

Thank you very much Loren . I am delighted with that and will get the conversions online as you suggest. Thanks:)

Not a bother at all! I absolutely adore lemon meringue pie, it's a bit of a tricky one and takes a little while making it from scratch but boy is it worth it!
    I sometimes use a whole cup of lemon juice, but I'm a complete lemon fiend and I saw you found some mixes too tart, but there's nothing worse than a bland filling for a lemon meringue pie. :mad:

It's a pity no one else got back to you on it, it must not be as popular in Ireland as I thought! You should check out the Florida favourite "Key Lime Pie" some time! It's out of this world. :)

Please let us know how it turns out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

mmmmm my favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055985813

there's a great key lime pie recipe i seen on this forum a few months ago, i've made it loads since...massive!!! :p

Lornen wrote: »
    Not a bother at all! I absolutely adore lemon meringue pie, it's a bit of a tricky one and takes a little while making it from scratch but boy is it worth it!
    I sometimes use a whole cup of lemon juice, but I'm a complete lemon fiend and I saw you found some mixes too tart, but there's nothing worse than a bland filling for a lemon meringue pie. :mad:

It's a pity no one else got back to you on it, it must not be as popular in Ireland as I thought! You should check out the Florida favourite "Key Lime Pie" some time! It's out of this world. :)

Please let us know how it turns out. :)

how many lemons would you need for your 3/4 cup ?

how many lemons would you need for your 3/4 cup ?

depending on the size of your lemons. Small ones about 5-6, large around 4 :)

emzolita wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055985813

there's a great key lime pie recipe i seen on this forum a few months ago, i've made it loads since...massive!!! :p

I made one about 2 hours ago :)

Mixture tasted absolutely stunning. Now to wait for it to cool completely!

Should be good to go by the morning :)

ok nearly ready to go ! what can i use as a substitute for cream of tartar ?

• Advertisement

ok nearly ready to go ! what can i use as a substitute for cream of tartar ?

All the cream of tartar is needed for is to stabilize the egg whites so if you have lemon juice left over from the filling you can use 1/8 a teaspoon of juice per egg. Maybe add a dash more sugar to the egg white mixture as it will be a little tart thanks to the lemon juice.

Hope that helps! If not, I'm sure aslong as you beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form it should be fine. I know people who don't even use cream of tartar :)

worked out really well. I do have a pic if I can figure out to to attach it !

worked out really well. I do have a pic if I can figure out to to attach it !

Great to here that!

Help on attaching a picture, if you see the little toolbar that sits about your comment box when replying, on the top line there is an icon of a paperclip.
    If you click on the paperclip, a window will pop up and it will give you 2 options in which you can upload a file.
    If the file is located on your computer, use the first option and click on the browse tab.
    Search your computer for the file and click the upload button!!

Can't wait to see! :)

PIE.jpg

hope this works ! thanks again

PIE.jpg

hope this works ! thanks again

Wow!

Very nice! :) Hope it tasted as good as it looked!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Haruki

Looks good ! Damn, i want lemon meringue pie now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

Yum! That looks really lovely. I'm not that experienced with baking, but methinks I'll have to save that recipe and try it when I've practiced a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

I searched all my recipe book for lemon meringue pie yesterday!! If only I'd looked here. Had to settle for lemon pudding instead. Now I know what I'm doing on my next day off!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i use this recipe and it works perfectly every time

actually, its a great website

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=lemon-meringue-pie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I like the Greens syntheticy lemon mix but making it from scratch is almost as nice to me, although ensuring you only get the lemon rind and not the bitter white pith underneath I found tricky and mine ended up a bit bitter.

Must try it again soon, it's a nice fresh spring recipe to do, will wait for my oul lad to make the pastry coz I hate making pastry plus I always mess it up.

• Advertisement

the just roll bought pastry or marks frozen pastry is a handy cheat ! When i make pastry I always make extra , it freezes well.

Advertisement