Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 126 - Silva vs. Belfort - Feb 5th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

So many potentially great fights on this card, should be very exciting. I honestly can't pick a winner in most of those fights right the way through the card. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

thought ruediger got his marching orders after lauzon destroyed him in his last fight? didnt dana white say hed never fight in the UFC again or am i just imagining it?

edit: maybe it was after he couldnt make weight on TUF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Silva Belfort will be epic:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

sonic85 wrote: »
    thought ruediger got his marching orders after lauzon destroyed him in his last fight? didnt dana white say hed never fight in the UFC again or am i just imagining it?

i coulda sworn i heard that also, either way i hope he loses again. never really liked him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 molum

looking forward to see how jon Jones will do against Bader. Bader is a tough fighter, but jones will be a massive favourite to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah looking forward to this card

My Bets/Predictions

Main card
    • Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort
      The first reaction is that Vitor is too old, been around too long, until you remember that even thoguh he was only 19 when he won UFC 12 and is 3 years the junior of the two.
      That said, I really can't see past Silva at 185. Especially given Vitors absense from the octagon for well over a year
    • Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin
      Franklin is the big fav here. But neither has been impressive lately, Franklin losing to Vitor, was clered by beating Chuck, but it wasn't really Chuck. It was an old guy who looked like Chuck. Griffin also had a hard time after losing to Silva, hardly embarassing in its self, but the nature of the KO was. Again clear b beating Tito, but again, old man Tito. I think Rich wins, but going ith the odds, the value is on Griffin, which is my bet.
    • Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
      Close of to call. ellenberger is solid, Rocha is undefeated but yet to be truely tested. But on look at the odds make it an easy bet. Rocha is a huge outsider on BF, this is a mistake in the market. Time and time again we see a new guy enter a divesion, and clear the lower rungs, move up against a journey man type and the bookies excepts his first loss, only to clear up and go on to challenge the top.

• Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader
      Epic fight imo, basically both guys have 12 fights, neither has been bested (I know, what the actual records say).
      I dislike Baders style, basically laying on guys and wrestling a win. Jones won't take much of that and I imagine he'll win via TKO

• Miguel Torres vs. Antonio Banuelos
      Expecting a clash here from the exciting guys at bantum.
      It's all Torres for me. Odds aren't great, most likely as he as a win over Manny tapia, who beat Banuelos via split. The guys unfamilar with WEC bets prob dn't look past this and the BF market is skewed, still think torres is best though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lads, on Paddy Power Vitor and Bader are the underdogs. I was thinking of putting an accumulator on Vitor, Bader, Franklin and Torres. 5 euro gets you 110 euro. Accumulators always dodgy in MMA but Belfort does stand a chance against silva and Bader could overpower jones. fairly sure franklin and torres will win.

You're gettin 21/1 for a reason! But as always anything is possible

Mellor wrote: »
    You're gettin 21/1 for a reason! But as always anything is possible

ah ya but its just a fiver, no big if I lose but it is possible those 4 can win, will make it even that much better watching it! Will be on the night shift for it so hopefully I can find a good working link saturday night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What odds is everyone getting for Franklin/Griffin? I do my betting on bwin since I have an account there and its not giving any odds for the fight.

• Advertisement

What odds is everyone getting for Franklin/Griffin? I do my betting on bwin since I have an account there and its not giving any odds for the fight.

Paddy has it at:

Forrest - 5/1
    Rich - 4/7

I'm not the best with odds but thats fair harsh against Forrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

5/1 on Forrest? That looks tasty, fancy Rich to win but i think it'll be a close fight that goes to the scorecards.

edit: Forrest is 5/4. Thought that looked odd.

Really looking forward to Anderson Belfort. I'm not sure Anderson has been in the cage with anyone that has the striking of Belfort. Still feel Anderson will just be too quick for him. But who knows what kind of fight Anderson will fight, hard to work that dude out. If he's as hesitant as he's been in his last few? Who knows?

Jones should make pretty light work of Bader, who i just don't rate that highly. He's had a few nice wins but has never really impressed me in anything close to the same way Jones has. Questions about his gas tank too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Was about to go straight to PP online when someone said he was 5/1. Koscheck wasn't even 5/1 :D

aaaahhhhh sorry lads, couldn't really believe that one myself!

I reckon stick a few bob on Rocha. He's getting written off by the bookies because he's new, I reckon he can submit Ellenberger quite easily. I think he's going to clean out the welterweight division. Nice addition to an accumulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I reckon stick a few bob on Rocha. He's getting written off by the bookies because he's new, I reckon he can submit Ellenberger quite easily. I think he's going to clean out the welterweight division. Nice addition to an accumulator.

Strong words. The only thing i've seen of him was his quick work of Savage McCray. Looks like a solid prospect!

For the Main event........ for some reason I see a 1st round TKO for Anderson Silva. Belfort is quick and likes to come agressive, but i can see Silva countering and it not getting out of the 1st!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Strong words. The only thing i've seen of him was his quick work of Savage McCray. Looks like a solid prospect!

Just because of the high amount of wrestlers, easier for him to work his ground game, where he's clearly strong. I don't know though haven't seen anything of his stand-up, if he wins this maybe Nate Diaz would be a good fight for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bader to win by KO is 6/1 with PP. Might have a punt on that.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Bader to win by KO is 6/1 with PP. Might have a punt on that.

Yeah I'm liking the underdog odds on Bader, think they're underestimating him a bit. Jones seems a bit arrogant about this fight, don't know why, not going to say anything else because it seems to be getting trendy to hate Jon Jones :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Yeah I'm liking the underdog odds on Bader, think they're underestimating him a bit. Jones seems a bit arrogant about this fight, don't know why, not going to say anything else because it seems to be getting trendy to hate Jon Jones :pac:

anarchy rules eh joe ? punks not dead haha.

I really do like Jon Jones, while the whole " biggest threat " is X fighter. The biggest threat to Jon Jones progressing as a fighter IS Jon Jones.

Bader takes this one for me, IF he can dictate it to his direction. I don't see him having much of a plan B if Jones goes AWOL with the flying elbows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cowboy_909

Belfort's lay off of over a year is a concern imo, I'm thinking Silva but I'm hoping both fighters will explode on each other at some point and the winner will be a toss of a coin if that happens.

I'm sure Jon Jones' excellent striking will be a step too far for Bader and I would think Franklin's technical stand up advantage will be enough to see off Griffin.

Also looking forward to Donald Cerrone, fabulous BJJ skills.

Jaysus this should be a cracking night of fights!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

sonic85 wrote: »

Was probably after his antics of TUF, but that was a few years ago now and he was on quite a winning streak outside the UFC which led to him getting the Lauzon fight. IMO it's only fair to give him another fight, they threw him in against a fired up top-tier lightweight in Joe Lauzon fighting in front of his home crowd.

This is a seriously good card though, I like Silva but I think there's a good chance of an upset. I might even put money on Belfort as the odds will probably be very long. He's bigger and faster and punches harder/better than Chael Sonnen and we seen what nearly happened there.

Jones vs Bader is a fantastic matchup. Jones is a total monster, physically and technically. I was never sold on Bader as a highly ranked title contender, whereas I think Jones is a champ in waiting. Jones is probably going to make an absolute mess of Bader.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

50 yoyos on the Belfort-Silva fight not to go the distance at 3/10 :D

You really think so?
    I've just watched a load of build up stuff on UFC.com
    jones came accross well imo, he came out and said that he knows Bader has KO power in both the left and the right, and didn't sound like he was dismissive of Bader.
    Bader commented that he expected less flashy stuff from jones, to which he replies, that's exactly what i'll be giving, flashy stuff he isn't expecting, that he hasn't seen before.

As for the flashy stuff, it's not like Jones is showboating when he does it, like say Evans in TUF, its an effective style of striking, more like some of Silva's strikes. A spinning right elbow, left hook combo type from jones is a serious combo and he lands it a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

My prediction's

Silva v Belfort - Going for Silva but id love it if Belfort beat him
    Jones v Bader - Jones coz he's just too good for Bader
    Griffin v Franklin - Franklin coz i think in the stand up he has better skills
    Torres v Banuelos - Torres coz i think he'l be back to his old best with this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

This is going to be a cracking card. My predictions are...

Silva v Belfort - If he can push the pace on the feet I can see him dropping Silva.
    Jones v Bader - Better striking than Bader but it's a bit of a toss up if it hits the ground. Haven't seen much of either on their backs.
    Griffin v Franklin - I'm looking forward to this fight the most and I'm hoping Forrest can take it. I hope they stick to their "loser gets tatooed" wager (see below) :D

I'll be sticking a €10 double on Griffin and Belfort. 6/1 on paddypower. It's a long shot but I'm going with my heart rather than head. Hopefully the 1 year away from competing won't effect them too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

might do a double on rocha and belfort with PP, odds were bout 11/1 yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Belforts standup is very messy at times, Silva is far too technical.

I think Bader will lie on top of Jones for 3 rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

I think this fight Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Demetrious Johnson should be on the main card and they could have the Welterweight bout: Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha on the spike tv slot or facebook instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

White has said he wants to make sure people have a way to watch the Yamamato fight, so hopefully it could be shown on Facebook like the last card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

Jayo_M wrote: »
    White has said he wants to make sure people have a way to watch the Yamamato fight, so hopefully it could be shown on Facebook like the last card.

It is been shown on facebook but i think the fight it is worth a main card slot

I think the Cerrone v Kelly fight should be on the PPV card tbh. 2 exciting fighters who will throw down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Did a 10 double on Bader and Belfort, bit of a risk but worth 113 if it comes through and I think its very possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

So much money to be made at this event if all goes well.. Some major underdogs that could easily win given a chance.

• Advertisement

True, but imo the money is not to be made be betting on underdogs.

People punting the underdogs, like Bader, Belfort doubles for a bit of fun are what creates the liquidity in the market and value on the otherside. To be clear, i'm not criticising Tones69 or Sheehy83 or anyone above. They have said it's only for fun, or only $10 etc.
    Just pointing out that these big match ups are rare, where there is a big underdog, who is a really good fighter in his own right, often get badly priced. Otherwise, MMA is quite tightly priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

d_jordan wrote: »
    I think this fight Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Demetrious Johnson should be on the main card and they could have the Welterweight bout: Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha on the spike tv slot or facebook instead.

Good news!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70437064#post70437064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Mellor wrote: »
    True, but imo the money is not to be made be betting on underdogs.

Very true in most sports but betting in MMA is relatively new and as such bookies tend to great odds on underdogs which have more than a punchers chance. If i remember correctly, Silva had very good odds to submit Sonnen and Velazquez had great odds to (T)KO Lesnar. So the bookies can get it wrong and it's important to really analyse fights before betting.
    However, you can also bet for abit of fun rather than money making. It seems stupid, the whole point of wagering money is the chance to make money. This is done by going for the favorites with poor return.
    Then there's the converse, you can always bet with your heart for fighters you like dispite the odds (which is what i'm doing with this) for fun and fully expect yourself to lose the money.
    People punting the underdogs, like Bader, Belfort doubles for a bit of fun are what creates the liquidity in the market and value on the otherside. To be clear, i'm not criticising Tones69 or Sheehy83 or anyone above. They have said it's only for fun, or only $10 etc.

As you and others have said, it's all a bit of fun. Moderated gambling can add a bit of spice to watching a card. Not that this card needs it.
    Just pointing out that these big match ups are rare, where there is a big underdog, who is a really good fighter in his own right, often get badly priced. Otherwise, MMA is quite tightly priced.

Very true, so take advantage while you can. Like all sports, bookies are very tight when issuing odds. It will always insure that the bookies payout a minimum and try generate profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I'm really looking forward to Joe Rogan completely ignoring any effective offense by Bader, and going "OOOOHH" and "WOOOWWWWW" if Jones so much as rolls his shoulder.

Jones will win btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Has there been a countdown show for this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

evil_seed wrote: »
    Has there been a countdown show for this yet?

Yea mmalinker .com has them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I'm watching the UFC 126 press conference at the moment and it's very funny how Dana White basically fires the translator in two minutes and makes Ed Soares take over. In. the video, the sacked translator had to sit there in the camera shot for the rest of the presser because he was beside Ed. He looked a bit pissed off.
    To be fair he was a crap translator.

Poor guy :pac:

t-ha wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to Joe Rogan completely ignoring any effective offense by Bader, and going "OOOOHH" and "WOOOWWWWW" if Jones so much as rolls his shoulder.

Pat Barry-Joey Beltran was the worst commentated fight ever. Every time Beltran landed a combination there was an awkward silence but if Barry threw a leg kick it was a huge deal.

Might put a treble on Bader, Rocha and Belfort. 23/10 13/5 and 27/10 are nice odds indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I'm watching the UFC 126 press conference at the moment and it's very funny how Dana White basically fires the translator in two minutes and makes Ed Soares take over. In. the video, the sacked translator had to sit there in the camera shot for the rest of the presser because he was beside Ed. He looked a bit pissed off.

yeah was quite funny, the translator was awful its probably the only time l ever wanted ed soares to take the mic:)

Pat Barry-Joey Beltran was the worst commentated fight ever. Every time Beltran landed a combination there was an awkward silence but if Barry threw a leg kick it was a huge deal.

Joe Rogan is the man!!... but he does have his moments!

I was rewatching UFC 67 and he said "Steve Mazagatti is an excellent referee..........". Come on now Joe!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Oh_Noes wrote: »

Pretty intimidating staredown from anderson I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

couldnt seem to find the primetimes / buildups on mma linker

anyone got a direct link please?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

TechnoPool wrote: »
    couldnt seem to find the primetimes / buildups on mma linker

anyone got a direct link please?

http://mmavideolinks.to/tv-shows/45-misc-ufc-tv-shows/10194-countdown-to-ufc-126.html

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

What time is ufc showing at and how long does it tend to go on til? Local pub guy said would show in pub for me. My only Internet at the mo is on my phone so I can't search well to find details

Thanks

Later than pub opening hours

Does he stay open till 4am??

• Advertisement
Advertisement