Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out an areas hardware standard?

• 31-01-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Long story short, moving back to the country for various reasons. When I last lived in the area the first bb offered wasn't available. The phone line in the house was turned off years ago since everyone used mobiles.

Now I want to get bb, but I've talked to UPC, Vodafone and Eircom, all of which have said they can't tell me what kind of speeds, service etc they will be able to offer until I get the line turned back on, which means an engineer call out blah blah $£$£$.

Thing is, I only want bb if I can get a good enough package to make gaming on an xbox and on PC worthwhile.

So I'm kind of at a dilemna since the neighbours aren't much help. Two are on vodafone bb in a box but they're both older couples so what's "grand" for them could well be barely fast enough to make browsing less than a chore.

Anyway around having to turn the line back and incurring the costs/contract that'll involve, before even knowing if its worth doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nevore wrote: »
    Long story short, moving back to the country for various reasons. When I last lived in the area the first bb offered wasn't available. The phone line in the house was turned off years ago since everyone used mobiles.

Now I want to get bb, but I've talked to UPC, Vodafone and Eircom, all of which have said they can't tell me what kind of speeds, service etc they will be able to offer until I get the line turned back on, which means an engineer call out blah blah $£$£$.

Thing is, I only want bb if I can get a good enough package to make gaming on an xbox and on PC worthwhile.

So I'm kind of at a dilemna since the neighbours aren't much help. Two are on vodafone bb in a box but they're both older couples so what's "grand" for them could well be barely fast enough to make browsing less than a chore.

Anyway around having to turn the line back and incurring the costs/contract that'll involve, before even knowing if its worth doing?

Its a real Catch 22 question. Even if your neighbour's line was perfect there is no guarantee that yours would be any good.

You could make a general guess and have a look at the line stats of your neighbours - take into account the distance from the exchange can you remember what sort of speed you used to get on dial up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It was years ago, don't know if it's relevant but good enough to play Unreal Tournament in 1999. :D
    The lines have been upgraded since, it's just a question of how much. :(

Advertisement