Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Cabling Question

• 31-01-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am not sure whether this should be on the satellite or terrestrial forum and is similar to a thread on the previous page but here goes anyway. I currently have a UHF antenna with a Televes 5352 amplifier in my garage attic (pointing at Collins Barracks which is only about 5 miles away). I also have a satellite dish on the roof over the garage (quad LNB with an available output). Both are cabled to my front room (using old sky box without a subscription for freesat channels) and it all works fine. However I now have a Panasonic TV that has built in Freesat. I would like to add a second satellite input to the front room but I am wondering if I can do this without making another hole in the wall.

I notice that my Televes amplifier has a satellite input also. Could I cable from the satellite dish into this and, thus, use the existing cable to deliver both terrestrial and freesat. If so, what would I use at the TV side to split the cable. Does this make sense. Is it a TV/Satellite combiner

I previous bought combiners in eBay. Make was Blue Line - example at http://cgi.ebay.ie/Combiner-SATELLITE-TERRESTIAL-TV-Diplexer-sat-tv-1-/160469379870?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item255cb86b1e
    This combiner didn't seem to work. Were they too cheap or might I be doing something wrong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

i think you will need 2 of them one outside and another at the back of the tv if there going into different boxs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

This PDF might be useful (maybe you looked already). See page 8.
    You'll need a diplexer at the receiver end anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks guys. Peter, I have seen the pdf but that is showing just the power supply on page 8 as far as I can see. When you are saying that I need a diplexer, is this instead of the combiner.
    Davlacey. If the cables from the UHF antenna and satellite dish both go into the masthead amp, do I not just need one combiner at the TV side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

WHL wrote: »
    . . . When you are saying that I need a diplexer, is this instead of the combiner.

That combiner is also a diplexer, it will seperate the sat. & terrestrial signals if used 'in reverse' at the receiver end (or should anyway). If you have a wallplate with a satellite output you could use that either.
    The amplifier will do the combining job at the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks Peter,

Currently away from home so I will try next week when I get back home. I think that I tried before with that Blue Line combiner and it didn't work. Possible I need to buy a Televes combiner/diplexer and try that instead

• Advertisement
Advertisement