Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRANTS FOR MATURE STUDENTS

Options
  • 31-01-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all, just a quick question? When how are where do u apply for a grant I am on lone parents allowence do u think I would be eligable for anything I have heard of the BTEA and the free fee dont really understand the free fees grant anybody got some advice? I have applied to Ucc for sept, I know my chances are slim of getting a place as there is only 10 spaces for my so do I wait till I get my offer and then apply???:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

http://www.studentfinance.ie/

Also, if you use the search function in this forum, it should bring up a lot of information on grants!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

you can only get the bte or a grant. you get the bte if your on the doel more than a year. you get a grant if your earnings from last year are lower than 40,000 or 20,000. there are different grant rates so you'll have to determine that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 angie07

:eek: As a Mature Student I saw on one post that the course I want to do is €9000 Per year how much of the grant will cover this I am a little worried now how much it will cost me does any one know how much I will have to pay myself If i do get a grant?? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

angie07 wrote: »
    :eek: As a Mature Student I saw on one post that the course I want to do is €9000 Per year how much of the grant will cover this I am a little worried now how much it will cost me does any one know how much I will have to pay myself If i do get a grant?? thanks

If the course is approved under the grant system, then you probably will be entitled to free fee's. If you are approved for BTEA you may also qualify for registration fees. Either way, you have to complete the grant application and return it, in the case of a level 7 course or below to your county VEC, level 8 courses or above, to your local county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

paky wrote: »
    you can only get the bte or a grant. you get the bte if your on the doel more than a year. you get a grant if your earnings from last year are lower than 40,000 or 20,000. there are different grant rates so you'll have to determine that yourself.

Afaik if you are on a lone parents or a disability payment you can still qualify for both BTEA/Lone Parents/Disability and the Maintenance grant unless this was changed in the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

I don't think you can get both! According to Social Welfare:

"The allowance is paid instead of the social welfare payment that entitled you to take part in the BTEA scheme."

At least that's what it says on welfare.ie You should look up 'studentfinance.ie' for more information,

jano1 wrote: »
    I don't think you can get both! According to Social Welfare:

"The allowance is paid instead of the social welfare payment that entitled you to take part in the BTEA scheme."

At least that's what it says on welfare.ie You should look up 'studentfinance.ie' for more information,

Last year the 'both' option was open to people on One Parent Family payment or a Disability payment. Both of these payments can be retained during full-time study, subject to certain conditions. I spoke to the grants officer in our local VEC this morning and she confirmed that there has been no change to this policy.
    I also called the Financial support section of the DES (057 9325317) who have the responsibility of administering govt policy in the area of financial support for Further and Higher Education and they referred me to C.5 in the grant scheme notes;
    C5. From the start of the 2010/11 academic year, students entering or progressing to a new course
    will no longer be eligible to hold Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or a Vocational Training
    Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) payment together with a student maintenance grant.
    If you hold a BTEA and are entering or progressing to a new course in higher education only
    you can apply to be assessed for the student service charge and/or tuition fees depending on
    the approved course you are attending and your overall eligibility under the relevant scheme.

In this case its only students on VTOS or BTEA who will be excluded from receiving the Maintenance portion of the grant. Students on other DSP payments can still apply, and receive both registration fees and maintenance subject to satisfying all other application criteria.

Where the restriction would apply would be in cases where a candidate would transfer from OPFP or Disability onto a BTEA payment. But it is hard to see why someone would do this as it would automatically restrict the level of funding open to them for full-time education. This does not negate what is on welfare.ie or studentfinance.ie as both sites are commenting on restrictions to students in receipt of BTEA only.

Hope this helps OP.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Afaik if you are on a lone parents or a disability payment you can still qualify for both BTEA/Lone Parents/Disability and the Maintenance grant unless this was changed in the budget.

Paperclip - I misinterpreted your reply; when you said 'both BTEA/Lone Parents/Disability and the Maintenance grant', I thought you meant you could get both BTEA and Lone Parents. Sorry for the confusion:o

jano1 wrote: »
    Paperclip - I misinterpreted your reply; when you said 'both BTEA/Lone Parents/Disability and the Maintenance grant', I thought you meant you could get both BTEA and Lone Parents. Sorry for the confusion:o

Sorry Jano, I did make that as clear as mud didn't I... :o

Advertisement