Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholenut Peanut Butter

Options
  • 31-01-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

So, I was in Tesco today and I saw this Sun Pat that I've never seen before.

I eat alot of peanut butter, but I'm lost as to what makes this called Wholenut? Does anyone know if they use the shell or anything?

Just tried some there and it tastes a bit richer, not sure why though. The colour is alot darker and it tastes less sweet than the other varieties.

Anyone else had it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Never had that one but IMO this is the best peanut butter Ive had in ireland
    http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/index.php/peanut-butter-1/oldfashionedcrunchy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

plonk wrote: »

Oh it is. Absolutely gorgeous. That layer of oil really does show you the quality of the stuff! As well as the Whole Earth Organic Crunchy one.. But I just fancied this as it was a really dark colour and I wanted to know what it tasted like. I think it's Sun Pat's attempt at a richer peanut butter with more flavour so it can be on par with more pricey PB's..

http://www.wholeearthfoods.com/products/3

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I have a peanut butter problem. I thought consuming it by the barrel would be a passing phase, but 3 years later.. :( ALDI do an impressive peanut butter; quite sweet, but perrfect on toast! Must try some of that whole nut stuff. Tesco Value (88c; I'm a student) PB is actually not half-bad, although full of crap no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lornen wrote: »
    but I'm lost as to what makes this called Wholenut? Does anyone know if they use the shell or anything?
    I think it is just the reddish/brown skins left on the nuts, like when you open monkey nuts up. I noticed a tesco brand one -but it still had added oil & sugar
    That layer of oil really does show you the quality of the stuff!
    You can get meridian brand in holland & barret, about 6.50 for a 1kg tub (sometimes it is kept out back so ask). The layer of oil is usually a sign it is not as processed or has crap added to keep it "stable". Some will have hydrogenated oils in them. The meridian is 100% nuts, or they have another with just salt added, but no extra oils or sugar.

Only problem is I demolish a 1kg tub in no time and the smaller jars are relatively poor value.

rubadub wrote: »
    I think it is just the reddish/brown skins left on the nuts, like when you open monkey nuts up. I noticed a tesco brand one -but it still had added oil & sugar

You can get meridian brand in holland & barret, about 6.50 for a 1kg tub (sometimes it is kept out back so ask). The layer of oil is usually a sign it is not as processed or has crap added to keep it "stable". Some will have hydrogenated oils in them. The meridian is 100% nuts, or they have another with just salt added, but no extra oils or sugar.

Only problem is I demolish a 1kg tub in no time and the smaller jars are relatively poor value.

That stuff looks absolutely gorgeous! And just peanuts, amazing. I'll have to check it out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I remember going to a supermarket in New Zealand and the bulk foods section had a grinder with peanuts in it, you turned the grind to whatever degree of coarseness you wanted and pushed the button, and peanut butter would come out the nozzle into your container.
    My son has a peanut allergy so we can't even have peanuts in the house now:(

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I remember going to a supermarket in New Zealand and the bulk foods section had a grinder with peanuts in it
    Meant to mention this, you can always make your own just liquidising nuts, you can add a little oil to make it more spreadable. Health shops charge a fortune for fancy nut butters, like cashew or hazelnut, but you can make your own far cheaper.

I would have to make a "peanut shed" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use cashew butter now, pretty acceptable taste as well.

Yeah, I've seen almond butter in a local deli in town and they had a very small container going for 6 euro's.. Don't think so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Where did you get this?

• Advertisement

Where did you get this?

Tesco do it for 3.09 I think! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Ya its in tesco, cant afford it these days but its the most amazing food ever especially on toast.
    Tried to make my own peanut butter this morning but I failed miserably.

Ya its in tesco, cant afford it these days but its the most amazing food ever especially on toast.
    Tried to make my own peanut butter this morning but I failed miserably.

I could imagine it to be tricky enough :/

What did you use?! Food Processor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭Worztron

My fave sandwich: white bread with crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam – delicious! ;)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    My fave sandwich: white bread with crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam – delicious! ;)

I don't think you could go back to Strawberry jam after having a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich.. Absolutely amazing. Pity you can't get it here in Ireland though! I get it sent over from the states in massive jars. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get meridian brand in holland & barret, about 6.50 for a 1kg tub (sometimes it is kept out back so ask).
    It is hard to find 100?% nut butters in Ireland. I see them everywhere, most supermarkets in the organic section etc.

Expensive though. 6.50/kilo is great value, would you not struggle to get a kilo of nuts for that price?
    I remember going to a supermarket in New Zealand and the bulk foods section had a grinder with peanuts in it, you turned the grind to whatever degree of coarseness you wanted and pushed the button, and peanut butter would come out the nozzle into your container.
    Health food shop near me has that.

Surprized it hasn't been mentinoed but ABC nut butter is yum, ABC = Almonds, Brazil, Cashews
    Although, i think almond on its own is just as good too

Mellor wrote: »
    It is hard to find 100?% nut butters in Ireland. I see them everywhere, most supermarkets in the organic section etc.
    I have never seen any in tesco anyways, and they have a good selection.

Tesco have the whole earth one, which I see in health stores but it is not 100% either.
    Roasted Peanuts* (92%),Palm Oil*^ ,Sea Salt† ,*Organically Grown ,†Approved non-organic ingredient ,^Palm Oil proudly sourced from RSPO members

Kelkin crunchy below
    Roasted Peanuts (97.7%),Palm Oil (1.3%) ,Sea Salt (1%)

sun pat wholenut below
    Roasted Peanuts,Peanut Oil ,Stabiliser (E471) ,Cane Sugar ,Sea Salt ,Total Peanut Ingredients (95%)
    (you get the info on tesco.ie)

I am always looking at labels and meridian is the only one I can recall as being 100% that I have seen.

even this organic whole earth one is only 95%
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2789&prodid=3047
    Mellor wrote: »
    Expensive though. 6.50/kilo is great value, would you not struggle to get a kilo of nuts for that price?
    Bigger bags of even KP might be cheaper, I expect the peanuts in the butters are low grade odd shapen ones, or crushed ones, so it should really be cheaper. Tesco sell value cashews and they are all mishapen, some oriental shops have broken cashews which are fine for cooking, saves me having to crush them. Tesco value roasted salted peanuts have been as low as 29cent for 200g in the past, which is cheaper than you can get 25kg sacks of them in pet shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yeah, I've seen almond butter in a local deli in town and they had a very small container going for 6 euro's.. Don't think so :pac:

I tried Almond Butter before, it's soooooo dry... I swore I could've been eating sawdust.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe Ireland is dragging on the health food aspect. I'll double check labels when I go to the shop again.

Advertisement