Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from ESB to other suppliers

Options
  • 31-01-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

am considering switching power suppliers but am nervous about it

I live in Donegal - just got our ESB bill - very high -

whats the general view - is it worth checking out

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

finolamck wrote: »
    Hi

am considering switching power suppliers but am nervous about it

I live in Donegal - just got our ESB bill - very high -

whats the general view - is it worth checking out

thanks

Hello Finolamck

I would strongly recommend waiting until April, i switched to Air***ity 2 months ago and had to sign a 12 mth contract.

A friend of a friend got let go from BG and let the word out that my Electric supplier and BG are desperatley trying to tie people down to fixed contracts before hand because the unit rate will drop drastically in late april, early may.... i cant remember why something to do with privatisation or something...

Thats why you see them knocking on doors and stalls set up in shopping centres

Reddevilfan

• Registered Users Posts: 19 finolamck

Thank for advice - they are advertising in our shopping centre - good to
    know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Ok first, you do not have to sign a fixed contract for an electricity supply. You have the option to for a lower rate but you do not have to take it. Salespeople will try to push for it but you don't have to take it. The option for a fixed term contract is there but you are under no obligation to take it.

Try asking in the consumer issues forum for more info.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JamesValentine

I would wait until April. I believe the shackles are being removed from ESB and the regulator, will allow ESB to compete in the open market for domestic customers.icon12.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 teaandbiscuits

I'd wait too if I were you...right now other companies seem cheaper but remember they will cut you off almost immediately if you're late with a payment. My neighbor was cut off on the run up to christmas even though she had contacted them asking if she could pay half after christmas. I had the same issue but ESB were very accommodating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 finolamck

Thanks for all replies

will wait a while and see how it goes

~Fin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement