Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional and full licience..

• 31-01-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

hi,

by law do you have to wait 6 months to get your full licience and by law is there a minimun amount of drivin lessons which you have to get! i know its good to get them but want to know if its the "law".

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

You can't take your test until at least 6 months after you obtained your first learner permit.

Until April 2011, there are no laws regarding training. Learner permits issued after April 2011 will need to do a certsin amount of lessons before they can obtain their learner permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

looks like its gonna cost loads so with lessons, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

mcgarry098 wrote: »
    looks like its gonna cost loads so with lessons, thanks

Well if you apready have a provisional then you're fine - It's only new Permits issued after 4th April 2011 which will be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

• All new first time learner permit holders with effect from 6th December 2010 for motorcycles and 4th April 2011 for cars will be required to undertake mandatory initial basic training (IBT) with an approved driving instructor (ADI). The course will be 16 hours for motorcycle and 12 hours for car licences.
    • The role of the supervising driver accompanying learner drivers will be strengthened and we will introduce a requirement for learner drivers to keep a learner log to be signed by their approved driving instructor and their accompanying driver.
    • The drink driving limits for drivers with learner permits and those in their first two years on a full driving licence will be reduced to 20mg/100ml. This legislation has been passed by the Oireachtas and will come into effect in September 2011.
    • The penalty points for specified offences will be increased for learner and novice drivers so that accumulation of penalty points during the learning phase and in the first two years on a full licence will pose a real threat of disqualification and will impact positively on risk taking and driver behaviour.
    • A standard Hazard Perception Test will be developed and carried out during the novice driver phase. The hazard perception test will specifically address risk taking and perception of risk among novice drivers.
    • The current driving test will be modernised to more effectively reflect driver competencies and to influence the learning undertaken by learners. We will introduce a new externally accredited driving test format in the last quarter of 2011.
    • Novice drivers will be required to display an R (restricted) plate during the first two years of their full driving licence to support the restrictions that are placed on their licence for that duration.
    • The current Driver Theory Test question bank and supporting learning materials will be reconfigured to make it more effective as a learning tool.
    • We will engage with the Department of Justice and Law Reform, the Gardai and the Courts Service to develop the range and combination of sentencing options available to the courts for driving offences for learner and novice drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to Learning to Drive

cool didnt know there was a learning to drive thread,! if I have my provisional from march onwards does that mean i have to get driving lessons or is it only provisional liciences issued after april !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

That is brilliant haha!!! So I wont have to fork out a load!!! few, was startin to wonder how I would be able to afford it all! Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

out of interest,when applying for learners permit, must you have booked the driving test??someone told me you had to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

you wha? wrote: »
    out of interest,when applying for learners permit, must you have booked the driving test??someone told me you had to...

This is only true when applying for your 3 or subsequent Learner Permit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

hey guys, i'm 16 and was hopin to do the theory test for the car in feb or march, i'm not too sure on this but will i only get the liscense when i'm 17 and will i then have to take part in all the mandatory training stuff even though i might pass the theory test before 4th of april or what'll the craic be?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

ah shi.... only messin, my birthdays in october so i'm guessin i'l have to do the lessons and stuff, oh well....

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darren 20

wel ive been reading the forum and in need of help ive recently passed my theory test im 16 years old and now hear about the new laws comin in. if i apply for a provisional tractor licence before april 4th wil i avoid the new laws because im not 17 till later in the year. please help

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Hi,

Sorry about this stupid question but i'm getting confused by information being thrown at me from all sides!

I've just got my learners permit, does that mean that I have to get my full license by the 4th of April in order to avoid having to wear 'R' plates on a car? Or am I completly unaffected by the new laws coming into affect?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

Hi,

Sorry about this stupid question but i'm getting confused by information being thrown at me from all sides!

I've just got my learners permit, does that mean that I have to get my full license by the 4th of April in order to avoid having to wear 'R' plates on a car? Or am I completly unaffected by the new laws coming into affect?

Thanks

Once you have got your learners permit before April 4th you are not affected by the new laws coing into effect.So, no you don't have to wear the "R" Plates on a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Hi,

Thanks
    You will not be able to sit your driving test until you have had your learner permit for six months. The 4th of april is the begining of compulsory lessons for anyone who gets their first learner permit from then on. The first of the restrictions that will require 'R plates' will not come into effect until september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

What if my provisional licence issued before April 2011 will expire and i will have to do the test again after April 11 - will i have to have this 20 hours (not sure how many) driving lessons? Its 600€! :(
    One more thing - can my instructor refuse to give me receipt if as he says its "special offer" of 300 -for 10 lessons? :rolleyes: I think he is just trying to avoid tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Crasp: I'm guessing you're a biker. IBT (Initial Basic Training) is to motorbikes, what EDT (Essential Driver Training) is to cars. But who cares, that just my OCD (I'm getting carried away again).

Softmee: (More importantly) Your instructor should give you a receipt, if asked. It may not have a VAT number as their income may below the relevant threshold. But the idea that 'it is a special offer', is waffle and does sound like they are trying to dodge any records. Ask them for their ADI number (Approved Driving Instructor) to see if they are actually a driving instructor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement