Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen finished in Irish politics

• 31-01-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭

Brian Cowen will not be running in the next election

Statement
    In the next few weeks, the people of this country will be asked to vote in a very important General Election. Decisions have to be made which will affect all citizens, both now and into our future.

I hope that all those involved in the campaign treat the issues with the respect, consideration and measured analysis they deserve.

I said previously that I was going to reflect on my own position and whether I would offer myself for re-election. I have done that.

I am humbled by and grateful for the many messages of support I have received. The genuine decency and warmth of people in this country is one of our finest traits and long may that be so.

Buíochas ó chroí libh.

Having considered the situation with my family, close colleagues and friends over the past number of days, I have decided not to put my name forward for selection as a candidate in the Laois-Offaly constituency for the forthcoming election.

Although I am conscious that the Laois-Offaly Fianna Fáil organisation’s support remains available to me, they also made it clear that the decision rests with me and my family and that they will respect that decision. I thank them for their understanding and their solidarity.

Fianna Fáil faces new challenges ahead. We will do so with a new leader, and a new team. I am proud and grateful to have served with each and every one of my party colleagues. I pledge them my full support and wish them well.

I look forward to addressing the Laois -Offaly Fianna Fáil convention tomorrow night, when I can express my deep appreciation and gratitude to my constituents and supporters for the consistent and steadfast support they have given to me throughout my career and in seven successive elections.

I will also be taking the opportunity to reiterate Fianna Fáil’s continuing commitment to address those issues that affect our people in pursuit of the common good.

Ba mhaith liom buíochas a ghabháil le mo chomrádaí sa Dáil agus ar Údaráis Áitiúla an Dáil ceantair, go h-áirithe iad siúd nach bhfuil linn a thuile.

D’oibre muid le céile mar fhoireann aontaithe i gcónaí.

I have been greatly assisted down the years by the commitment of past and present local councillors at County and Town level. We have always worked together as a team.

But of course, my deepest gratitude of all belongs to my family for their support, forbearance and encouragement at all times. To my wife Mary, my daughters Sinéad and Maedhbh, go raibh míle míle maith agaibh. To my mother and brothers, my sincere thanks also.

The work of a TD in serving the daily needs of individual constituents and local community organisations could not be done without the dedication, discretion and professionalism and of my constituency staff, who greatly assisted me in that important work.

In particular, I want to thank my Constituency Secretary, Councillor Sinead Dooley, who along with Elaine Hogan and Colette Waters managed a considerable workload in my constituency office in Tullamore.

I would also like to thank Peter Lenehan, Annette McManus and Yvonne Graham who attended to constituency matters and wider political representations in my Dublin office.

I also want to acknowledge the many years of dedicated service to both my father and I by the late Patricia Johnson, our former constituency secretary, who worked in our office in Clara

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so long and thanks for all the fish debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

That'll do pig, that'll do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Sure we all knew that ages ago.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

One down, many more to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Cheerio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Looks like his brother Barry will run instead. Nepotism in Fianna Fail (the omission of the fada is intentional), well I never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nice paycheck for the rest of his days too. :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0131/cowenb.html
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen has announced he will not be contesting the General Election.

Mr Cowen made the announcement on Midlands 103.

Hesaid he had full support in the county and the preference of his team was that he run in the upcoming election.

He said the issue for him in making up his mind was what direction he wanted to take in life now and also to recognise that he held the highest office in the land during a very difficult three years.

He said he made the decisoon after consulting with his family over the weekend.

A cumann meeting took place in the Tullamore Court Hotel at 6pm to make final arrangements for tomorrow night's selection convention and to discuss the party strategy.

There has also been increased uncertainty about whether or not the Fianna Fáil TD in Laois John Moloney will run for re-election.
    Last night, Donegal North East TD Niall Blaney said he would not be contesting the election, citing personal reasons for his decision.

Cork North Central TD Noel O'Flynn said he would not run in order to maximise the chances of his constituency colleague Billy Kelleher.

The two men were the latest Fianna Fáil TDs to say they would not be contesting the election, with several ministers announcing their retirement in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Well thats a shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

He is going to fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a competitive eater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I miss the days on boards when you had high profile members with thousands of posts creating threads on Feedback where they retired their accounts.

Whatever happened to that thing that people had in their signatures? Some acronym with Accountability...erm and a couple of other words in there as well? They were trying to get The Man to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Good riddance to the cnut.

Ideally I would like to see him executed along with ahern, mccreevy, lenihan, sean fitzpatrick and anyone else responsible for taking ireland down. March the lot of them to the top of croke patrick for their hangings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

So another of the big rats deserts the sinking ship. Is that 16 or 17 of them, at this rate there will be another emergency budget to pay their fat pensions, oh and their parachute money so they can adjust to life as a peasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

I suppose he'll have to get a handout from the community welfare while he's waiting for his dole to be processed. Poor dumb b*stard.

Looks like his brother Barry will run instead. Nepotism in Fianna Fail (the omission of the fada is intentional), well I never.

He has sex with dead people! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hopefully when the truth comes out he will be forever known as

"the disgraced former Taoiseach Brian Cowen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

BIG FAT PENSION FOR THE FAT BASTARD,his brother is a scumbag too...tax defaulter.

charlemont wrote: »
    BIG FAT PENSION FOR THE FAT BASTARD,his brother is a scumbag too...tax defaulter.

Turf Accountant and Greyhound trainer is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Bye bye Biffo :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

He lacks Berties smirk.

I cannot truly despise him the way I do Ahern and believe me, I've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A Cowen will still be elected. Some things never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

We will have to renegotiate ... the country simply can't afford all these TD & ministerial persions. Oh sorry I forgot they have 'legitimate expectations':mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Out of interest have the pair of cúnts got a few fat children lined up and ready for when another heir to the family seat is required?

No, his brother the landlord is a tax defaulter.
    His brother the councellor is a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Turf Accountant and Greyhound trainer is that right?

28/03/2008 - 17:18:23
    A brother of Finance Minister Brian Cowen has been hit with a tax bill of nearly €100,000 by the Revenue.

Publican Christopher Cowen, from Co Offaly, reached the settlement after he was found to have under-declared his income tax.

Mr Cowen, who is also Deputy Taoiseach, said in a statement that he had no involvement in his brother’s business affairs and excessive publicity would be unfair.

“I accept that my position as a public representative means close attention will be paid to my financial affairs.

“I had and have no involvement whatsoever in my brother’s business so it would not be fair to him were any greater media attentions paid to his revenue difficulties on account of my position in Government.

“I know from him that he gave full cooperation during the Revenue audit and I understand that these matters have now been resolved.”

Mr Cowen, of River Street, Clara, owed €61,395 in unpaid tax and was hit with €34,596 in interest and penalties to make a total bill of €96,351.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojojauqley/#ixzz1Ce5EyeQ6

Hopefully when the truth comes out he will be forever known as

"the disgraced former Taoiseach Brian Cowen"

Well he'll have to get in line behind Bertie and Charlie.

Guill wrote: »

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Regardless of what people think of him he is a very smart man. He has the intellectual smarties and I have no doubt he will be back. He is way smarter that that fukwit Bertie.

Still think he is a pr1ck though but none of it was due to bumbling foolery. He took care of what he needed to, Sean Quinn and friends.

That's my take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It took him a while to admit defeat but that's politicians for ya.

A brother of Finance Minister Brian Cowen has been hit with a tax bill of nearly €100,000 by the Revenue.

Publican Christopher Cowen, from Co Offaly, reached the settlement after he was found to have under-declared his income tax.

Mr Cowen, who is also Deputy Taoiseach, said in a statement that he had no involvement in his brother’s business affairs and excessive publicity would be unfair.

“I accept that my position as a public representative means close attention will be paid to my financial affairs.

“I had and have no involvement whatsoever in my brother’s business so it would not be fair to him were any greater media attentions paid to his revenue difficulties on account of my position in Government.

“I know from him that he gave full cooperation during the Revenue audit and I understand that these matters have now been resolved.”

Mr Cowen, of River Street, Clara, owed €61,395 in unpaid tax and was hit with €34,596 in interest and penalties to make a total bill of €96,351.

Perfect FF material alright:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Still think this is great if true. While talking to Martin McGuinness who said he would have to take certain proposals to the IRA for discussion, allegedly said,

"Well there's a mirror in the toilets if you want to go talk to them" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Guill wrote: »

Oh dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fcuk! I never saw that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Brian Cowen you cunt running from the ..... Dail,
    Where are you going with your fat lips blowing in the.... wind

I want to piss down your back and throw you over.... fences,
    kick you up the hole every single day, and take away your.... pension

Pig ugly Brian you're the Taoiseach no...... more
    Running around with the CAB at your back, like a miserable shite, like a miserable....
    (wait i can get this bit) ......SHITE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

FYI I'm pretty sure that that is about Christopher Cowen. Barry Cowen is a councilor and I'm gussing if FF are picking one to contest the election it would be him..

• Advertisement
Advertisement