Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy office-cant focus

Options
  • 31-01-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I've been having (a relatively minor) problem at work. Everyone in the office is really nice and friendly but way too chatty for an open-plan office environment. We all do very different roles in a small organisation and my role would be very busy, time-dependent and pressured.

Other members of staff have more relaxed work with less to do and less pressure.

I am fully capable of carrying out my role but I am finding it hard to concentrate as other staff chat non-stop in the small open-plan office. I have to stay late to get some quiet time to do my work and find that hours of the day are lost by the constant distractions of chat/ laughing/ messing.

What should I do? It's affecting my work but my colleagues are lovely and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings/ cause ill feeling. :confused:

What to do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Hm.. barring talking to a manager and possibly asking to be moved to a quieter part of the office.. are you allowed to use headphones?
    Maybe some white noise type setup or well something peaceful to listen to rather then getting hooked into conversations?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Unfortunately there's nowhere else to go- really small, open-plan and then management are in offices across the hall.

Earphones are an option with some soothing 'relax and try not to scream' mantras playing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think earphones are probably your best bet. Noise cancelling earphones won't work for you unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I have this problem too, working with nice people in a large open plan area, and the only solution is an mp3 player with my favourite tunes on it... blocks out all the loud voiced women and the football talk from the blokes. Productivity up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

What do people think about using ear plugs in this situation? Would it be considered a bit rude even if it is justified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah I think it's probably considered rude because you never dicussed the issue with anyone before hand.

Just listen to some nice music or even the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What do people think about using ear plugs in this situation? Would it be considered a bit rude even if it is justified?

I use in ear monitors (earphones) to block out 90% of the noise. I use music though, radio is too distracting. You can always ask a manager if its ok. Its common sense though, if you need to be hear things, like the phone, or customers or colleagues.

Advertisement