Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Get Rid Of Cat.

• 31-01-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Alright, I've never posted in this forum before, but I have a problem.

A few days ago, I started noticing a white cat in my back garden. He has been in my garden constantly for the last few days. He stands outside my back door, constantly purring. My Mom couldn't get out the back today to put out the washing as the cat was trying to get in. She managed to get him out the front at one stage, but he came back again.

At the moment, he is standing on the window-sill outside my kitchen window, purring away.

I can't think of any reason why he is there. We haven't given him any food, or left out any food.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Water is a very effective means of getting rid of an unwanted cat.

We had an issue of neighbouring cats coming into our garden and terrorising our very nervy cat and I found throwing a large glass/bowl of water at them as an easy way to scare them off without harming them.

Also my friends mother had a similar problem a couple of years ago and used her sons water pistol to good effect

It might take a few splashes but the cat should get the message in a day or two.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Alright, I've never posted in this forum before, but I have a problem.

A few days ago, I started noticing a white cat in my back garden. He has been in my garden constantly for the last few days. He stands outside my back door, constantly purring. My Mom couldn't get out the back today to put out the washing as the cat was trying to get in. She managed to get him out the front at one stage, but he came back again.

At the moment, he is standing on the window-sill outside my kitchen window, purring away.

I can't think of any reason why he is there. We haven't given him any food, or left out any food.

Any suggestions?
    i do pity an animal that tame, i suggest you feed the poor mite in this cold weather, i have two cats in a shelter outside that came to me six yrs ago the same way, i feed them, there are enough cruel people on this plannet who would not feed an animal, in this cold weather they need more food for fuel, at least give it the leftovers, just like us they have feelings and need food for uuel, could you emagine going without food for a couple days yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WeeIrish

Do you think the cat is looking for somewhere to have kittens? Maybe it likes your house. That's what happened at my house, cat had two kittens, and we kept one.

It should go away after a few days if it's not getting food though.

It's obviously used to being inside houses and around people, maybe put a few posters up in your area saying you found a cat. Some little girl may be crying her eyes out because she lost her cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

goat2 wrote: »
    i do pity an animal that tame, i suggest you feed the poor mite in this cold weather, i have two cats in a shelter outside that came to me six yrs ago the same way, i feed them, there are enough cruel people on this plannet who would not feed an animal, in this cold weather they need more food for fuel, at least give it the leftovers, just like us they have feelings and need food for uuel, could you emagine going without food for a couple days yourself

Well, to be honest, I'm wary of feeding it as I'm worried it will keep coming back.

No offense or anything, but I don't really care about the cat. I feed the birds everyday at the moment, and I don't particularly like cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

If its that tame it definately has an owner somewhere. Take a pic and pop up a few posters in local shops and at the local vets. I know its a bit of bother but if it was your pet missing wouldn't you like to know someone was caring for it and trying to get it back to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

feed it and then spray with water, at least it will not have the pain of hunger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

There are sprays you can use, around 6 euro a bottle, spray the area you dont want the cat to visit, ie a windowsill, flowerpots, etc, it seems to work and is harmless.
    Cats love windowsills and providing its not a tomcat, wont leave a smell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

A stray wouldn't purr at you, he someone's pet. It would be kind to make some attempt to find his home - there could be a heartbroken family nearby. Also if he's pure white there's a possibility that he's deaf, if that elicits any more compassion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

What area are you in... contact the spca or your local shelter and they will take care of this. Sounds like he is a bit lost or maybe he is jsut left out during the day and comes to your house cos you are home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Doorknock the neighbours and the folks in the houses behind and enquire as to whether anyone knows who owns the cat. You may also want to take some pics and flier the letterboxes around you.

If nobody local owns it, bring it into your house and organise for it to go to the vet and be scanned for a microchip. Then ask your vet if they can assist you in efforts to rehome the cat, but confirm that you have doorknocked the area and nobody owns it.

A lot of people are dumping their animals in the current economic climate. If the cat is all white he may be deaf. Perhaps someone hadn't got the time or interest in caring for a special needs cat and dumped him. If he's dumped he needs your help.

1. Figure out if anyone owns him - doorknock or fliers.
    2. If nobody claims him, take him to your vet for a microchip scan.
    3. Ask your vet for assistance in rehoming if he has no chip. (If he has a chip, the vet can organise for central animal records to contact his owner).

If the vet tells you you're on your own, come back on here and we can give you more suggestions and advice about potential rehoming. It would be animal cruelty to stand by and do nothing for a cat that friendly - if he's been dumped and you chase him off, he will quickly fall foul of hunger, disease, parasitic infection and possible trauma from accident or deliberate injury, potentially dying a painful death. In an extreme case, it would be kinder for him to be humanely euthanised (a route that a cowardly owner may have been unwilling to take if he HAS been dumped).

If you establish that he's not owned, the rehoming thread on here may help - there are plenty of people out there who'd love a handsome, smoochy cat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement