Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ripplecom

• 31-01-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I've just switched my broadband to ripplecom and am also switching my phone line. At present I have located my router in the attic as I don't want to be running cables everywhere in the house. I know I need an adapter to use the voip service with my existing phones but I have a few questions which someone may be able to answer.

I think I can get an adapter from ripplecom, is it a case of just plugging in my phone basestation (eircom wireless) and using this to sent the signal around the house?

I don't really want to put the basestation in the attic, but will if necessary, so is it possible to get an adaptor that sends a signal to other dect devices?

Is it possible to use voip for alarm monitoring?

think that's it for now.

thanks
    Mossie

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I would have the router in the house, not the attic. It is possible to use VoIP for alarm monitoring, however it is not a reliable solution as the messages may be slow. It will depend on your alarm. If you have alarm monitoring, you should have a backup plan (ie gsm) in case of the ata going bonkers. The dialler in your alarm has to be a voice dialler usually becuase texts get jumbled and change via Voip.

Ripplecom should provide an ata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭mossie

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    I would have the router in the house, not the attic. It is possible to use VoIP for alarm monitoring, however it is not a reliable solution as the messages may be slow. It will depend on your alarm. If you have alarm monitoring, you should have a backup plan (ie gsm) in case of the ata going bonkers. The dialler in your alarm has to be a voice dialler usually becuase texts get jumbled and change via Voip.

Ripplecom should provide an ata

I have asked them for an adapter. I'm not too worried about the monitoring, just to have the alarm call me if there's a problem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If your alarm has a text dialler it is not as reliable.

If your alarm has a voice dialler it is better as it cannot get jumbled up like you calling another phone..

Because of the nature of the internet, alarm monitoring via VoIP is not advisable. In the event of a power failure you must have a Uninterrupted power supply connected to your router and ata to back it up.

GSM is also not advisable. The most secure way of monitoring is by a protected telephone line or Radio.

If you post over in the home security systems forum they will be of help to you.

Rec>Home and Garden>home security systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mokd2810

mossie wrote: »
    Hi.

I've just switched my broadband to ripplecom and am also switching my phone line. At present I have located my router in the attic as I don't want to be running cables everywhere in the house. I know I need an adapter to use the voip service with my existing phones but I have a few questions which someone may be able to answer.

I think I can get an adapter from ripplecom, is it a case of just plugging in my phone basestation (eircom wireless) and using this to sent the signal around the house?

I don't really want to put the basestation in the attic, but will if necessary, so is it possible to get an adaptor that sends a signal to other dect devices?

Is it possible to use voip for alarm monitoring?

think that's it for now.

thanks
    Mossie
    Mossie I would like to know if you did eventually change over to VOIP? We did about 2 months ago and since then our internet and telephone quality are very poor - internet keeps cutting out and telephone quality is good sometimes but more often than not it's poor! We are seriously thinking of changing to somebody else!
    Thanks,
    Mokd2810

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

We have Ripple and they have been highly unreliable in the last year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭mossie

mokd2810 wrote: »
    Mossie I would like to know if you did eventually change over to VOIP? We did about 2 months ago and since then our internet and telephone quality are very poor - internet keeps cutting out and telephone quality is good sometimes but more often than not it's poor! We are seriously thinking of changing to somebody else!
    Thanks,
    Mokd2810

Hi.

Sorry for the dealy in replying. I have had no real problems with Ripplecom beyond a few initial teething problems with setup of my router etc. Internet is fine, not up to the advertised 8meg but mostly steady around 5meg and far, far, far better than eircom etc. I rarely use the phone but when I do it's crystal clear. Support is a bit hit and miss. It took me ages to get on to someone but when I did he was helpful and knowledgable.

I thik a lot has to do with where you are and wh the previous supplier, taken over by Ripple com, was. Some of those had pretty poor infrastructure whis has't been replaced.

Advertisement