Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with no tail - advice needed

• 31-01-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I am looking for a bit of advice here…
    There are a couple of (presumably) stray cats around in my estate, and one of them has no tail. It looks like the poor animal has had some sort of accident, but I’ve no idea what happened, or how long ago. I’ve seen this cat around for the last 4 months, but she might have been without the tail for longer than that.
    The problem is, that there’s still an open, raw wound – a piece of bone covered in tissue is protruding from the stump. (I’ve attached a picture. It doesn’t look very nice...)
    I’ve been feeding her, and she has slowly become more trusting (she’s currently curled up underneath the kitchen table, see other photo). She’s eating like a horse – possibly beacuse she’s not getting much food elsewhere, and looks like she’s in pretty good condition apart from the tail, she doesn’t seem to be in pain or discomfort.
    Regarding that tail... do you think she needs attention from a vet?
    My gut feeling is, yes, but I’m not sure how the cat would react to being trapped and brought to a vet. She’s shy enough around people, doesn’t like it when I’m standing up, crouching down is ok though, she’ll come over then looking for food and cuddles.
    It’s likely that she used to belong to somebody – she knows food comes out of a tin, and will scamper over just on hearing that sound – but I honestly don’t know whether anyone is looking after her at this stage, because her tail is still an open wound (wouldn’t you get that looked at as a responsible pet owner?).

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Oh that looks really horrible. I would say get her to a vet asap. It really doesn't matter how she responds to the vet - she's going to need sedation and probably a proper amputation, it looks awful. Looking at the photos I'd say it's life threatening.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I would take her to the vet straight away before an infection can set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Shanao wrote: »
    I would take her to the vet straight away before an infection can set in.

The cat's been like that for at least 4 months, and the wound doesn't look infected, although it's not scabbing. It's possible that she keeps licking it?
    The thing with bringing her to a vet is - what do I do with the cat afterwards? She'll need aftercare, and I'm out of the house at work all day.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered by the cost, I just can't look after a sick cat once she's been operated on, and I could hardly just leave her out roaming freely? Being a possibly stray cat, I don't know how she would react to being kept indoors in a house she doesn't really know, especially when she's not feeling well after an operation.
    (I don't know a whole lot about cats, no idea how much looking after would be needed in this case...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

OP a cat that's had surgery will want quiet and sleep for most of the day anyway. That kind of wound isn't ever going to heal, the bone is exposed. It's possible she may have to be put to sleep. But she isn't going to survive long without vet treatment, please take her in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

OP I live in Galway and work from home, I have experience dealing with slightly crazy cats and post operative cats so if you wanted I could look after her for a few days after the surgery?

• Advertisement

Spadina wrote: »
    OP I live in Galway and work from home, I have experience dealing with slightly crazy cats and post operative cats so if you wanted I could look after her for a few days after the surgery?

Thanks a mil for the offer, Spadina! (Boardsies are great :D)
    I'm getting in contact with a vet via email at the moment, to see what the best course of action will be - things like, can I borrow a carrier from the vet? I don't have one, and need one to bring the poor mite to the vet.
    Once I know more, I'll send you a PM.

My main motivation for this is to get the cat healthy again, she seems to be in pretty good shape, but obviously the tail needs to be sorted out.

Well I would be happy to help out so yeah definitely send me a PM when you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

There is a great cat rescue community in Galway and they would be happy to advise you on this. Wonderful that you have taken the time to show some love to this cat. Are you on facebook, you can reach them through that (Galway Cat Rescue) Have you asked around or advertised the cat to see is anyone missing her? What area are you in?

There is a great cat rescue community in Galway and they would be happy to advise you on this. Wonderful that you have taken the time to show some love to this cat. Are you on facebook, you can reach them through that (Galway Cat Rescue) Have you asked around or advertised the cat to see is anyone missing her? What area are you in?

I'm in Claregalway myself. Thanks for the link to the cat rescue, that might be another way to go once the kitty has gotten her tail fixed.
    I haven't asked around, I know a few of the neighbours have seen 'the tailless cat' around for a good while now, she seems to be hanging around our estate a lot.
    To be honest, I don't think anyone owns her - who would leave an open wound like that un-treated for months? Not somebody that deserves her as a pet, that's for sure. She's shy, but a real sweetheart.

My OH has just checked out the Galway Cat rescue, he's just emailing them.

I'm in Claregalway myself. Thanks for the link to the cat rescue, that might be another way to go once the kitty has gotten her tail fixed.
    I haven't asked around, I know a few of the neighbours have seen 'the tailless cat' around for a good while now, she seems to be hanging around our estate a lot.
    To be honest, I don't think anyone owns her - who would leave an open wound like that un-treated for months? Not somebody that deserves her as a pet, that's for sure. She's shy, but a real sweetheart.

My OH has just checked out the Galway Cat rescue, he's just emailing them.

They are sure to help, I adopted through them recently. They have little funds but will help you with advise and maybe with rehoming her later. I am not far from you myself. All the best, let us know what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

If you tie a piece of string to his leg you can swing him around over your head just as good as if he already had a tail.

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    If you tie a piece of string to his leg you can swing him around over your head just as good as if he already had a tail.

:)

You can have a red card for that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You can have a red card for that comment.

Please no...no..... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!:eek:

But I had so much more to say about cats.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Please no...no..... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!:eek:

But I had so much more to say about cats.

Whats that supposed to mean?

lol red card had crossed my mind then i thought i would try see the "funny" side... lol you better speak up or forever hold your peace :D

A quick update on how things are progressing here - we got good responses from both the Galway Cat Rescue and the vet in Briarhill, so it looks like the cat will be getting the medical attention she needs this week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Great news , if you need a loan of a cat box pm me :)

minxie wrote: »
    Great news , if you need a loan of a cat box pm me :)
    Thanks minxie, I appreciate the offer! I'm amazed at and thankful for the offers of help, nice to see that there's people out there that care!

We might be getting a loan of a cat box from the vet, or the girl from the cat rescue might pick the cat up and bring her to a vet, not sure yet how we'll proceed.
    I'll keep this thread updated, either way.

That's great to hear, and fair play to you for helping the poor little thing.

I made the mistake of mentioning the tail less cat to my boyfriend though, will have to go back and tell him he doesn't get to mind her! :)

Hope it all goes well.

Spadina wrote: »
    That's great to hear, and fair play to you for helping the poor little thing.

I made the mistake of mentioning the tail less cat to my boyfriend though, will have to go back and tell him he doesn't get to mind her! :)

Hope it all goes well.

See I'm not sure yet just what we'll do with her after she's been operated on, so don't crush your boyfriend's hopes just yet :) I really don't know at this stage, but I'll say as much - I'm really thankful for the help offered, and might take you up on it yet.

• Advertisement

Good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have a carrycase for my small dog that would do a cat, you can borrow it no problem am going Galway to Loughrea every evening so could drop it to you.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I have a carrycase for my small dog that would do a cat, you can borrow it no problem am going Galway to Loughrea every evening so could drop it to you.
    Thanks for the offer TillyGirl!
    What we'll do now is this (the plan is taking shape!): go to the vet in Briarhill tonight and pick up a cat box from them, hopefully we can then introduce the cat to the box, feed her in it tonight or something.
    If she turns up tomorrow morning, we'll trap her and bring her to the vet straight away.
    If not, we'll try again the following mornings - we'll definitely get her on Saturday morning or Friday afternoon, if not before that.
    I don't want to trap her in the evening and leave her in the box all night to bring her in the next morning, she'd have a meltdown I think!
    I'll have a chat with the vet tonight though, to see if we can maybe bring her in out of their opening hours if we can get her into the box. The problem is, we never know when she'll show up, she's there some mornings, and then most evenings, but not always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'll have a chat with the vet tonight though, to see if we can maybe bring her in out of their opening hours if we can get her into the box. The problem is, we never know when she'll show up, she's there some mornings, and then most evenings, but not always.

If you can get her indoors tonight, keep her in your bathroom overnight. Put the box with a towel in it in there with her - she'll be in it tomorrow morning (warm towel va cold tiles).

PM sent to Spadina :)

We got the box from the vet, and are going to keep her in the downstairs bathroom overnight, with the box + some food. Hopefully she won't go entirely crazy - but she does seem to enjoy being indoors, and warm. So off to the vet tomorrow it is, for 'Socks' the cat! :D (yes, I've named her :p)

So, good news!

'Socks' is going to the vet tomorrow, to get her tail fixed and probably get spayed, too, while we're there.

Then, she'll recover in the capable hands of Spadina - thanks a mil!

And myself and my OH are basically going to adopt her afterwards - leave her as an outdoor cat, as she is now, but make sure she'll be fed regularly, and let her in if she wants to.

This is what she's doing at the moment:

D5F609E8BD904123BF8268679ACDCA77-0000324172-0002147392-00500L-19C32B019F4B41CB90BF4552ADC87C52.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Great stuff !
    She's a bit of a cutie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Looking forward to hearing how this story goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wonderful story. We once saw a stray, clearly recently dumped in a small town and looking very lost and wary, with red duct tape round a stump of a tail. We were able to feed it but no way could we catch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

What a sweet-looking cat! She looks really contented there. She must have been someone's pet at some stage - a truly feral cat would never relax that quickly in a house.

You are great to take this on & I hope her vet bills don't amount to too much for you.

Advertisement