Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a studio in Cork

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,
    I have a few tattoos already, last one is a large celtic one I got in a place in Midelton. To be honest I am not overly impressed with them even though I brought a drawing they still made mistakes. I went there based on a friends recommendation. I know it's possible to make mistakes but in fairness, I spent enough on it.
    I don't mind spending a few quid so as long the standard is high.

So if anyone can recommend a good place in Cork, plus post your experience I'd appreciate it.
    Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Hey there.

I've a few also done by different artists and my last one, and favourite experience, was in Smiley Dogg Tattoo (I think they used to be called xxx). They were based down a side street on the South Mall but they've moved now to Dennehy's Cross.

Raul frequents a lot of the tattoo conventions around Ireland and is quite popular. I had him do a simple, small one for me recently but had been toying with the idea of getting a 3/4 sleeve done. He talked me through it and advised me about the design do's and don'ts. Very friendly, great place, hygenic and they made me feel quite comfortable too.

I was delighted with the turn out but he spotted one part wasn't as black as the rest (awkward area). He apologised, marked down the original quote cost for the ink and told me to come back for a free touch up if I wanted. Ha I didn't have the balls to go over it again. :o

I'm not a big tattoo zoo fan. Everytime I've gone in there to chance getting something done they seem to be extremely rude until I mention money. Puts me right off.

Shame about your experience in Middleton. I'm assuming you're talking about the Holy Cow? I've heard nothing but praise for Ross Daly's work so that's disappointing to hear how you got on.

Oh I meant to say I have seen a lot of Raul's work and all of it (both on skin and in portfolio) has been outstanding imo. They do beautiful aztec designs and black and greys. I spent ages in there before and after getting my tattoo done just going through the artwork he had. :)

Hope you find the right artist for your next piece though. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OperaticBug

Hi NoDice, thanks for the advise fella, I'll check them out for sure. I did go to Holy Cow alright and the tattoo is a bit patchy with some mistakes, so all in all not a great experience. It wasn't Ross either, but I'd not like to name the lad that done it. I did call to the place off the side street on the South Mall but it must have been an off day there as they were not that interested (I was looking for a half sleeve). A friend did go to tattoo zoo and didn't have a great experience so I'd rather not go there, but it's always worth giving the benefit of the doubt and getting a few reviews. Anyone go to the place in the square in Fermoy?

No bothers, I'm a lady btw! :eek::cool:

Tattoo Zoo I've just never had a good experience. Back when I had a few piercings I got my lip done there. It was off centre, I said this when she showed me AFTER the bar was put in and she said if I wasn't happy I could take it out, leave it heal and get it done again but I'd have to pay because she thought it was fine. It was defo off centre, everyone had a laugh about it when I went home so I took it out. :rolleyes:

Never been to the one in Fermoy.

Best of luck again dude!

I did call to the place off the side street on the South Mall but it must have been an off day there as they were not that interested (I was looking for a half sleeve?

Ha I think that's just the way they are. They're very nonchalent and laid back. I got the impression he was bored at the beginning but once he got into it he was all talk and had some funky Spanish metal on which he was singing along to. :) IIRC he said he was from the basque region in Spain. Not all the artists in there have great English either but they seem to understand exactly what you want. He even pointed out that the design I wanted wasn't symmetrical and it was flawed in another part. He offered to correct it for me but I wanted it exactly as printed. It was an exact copy of my dog's paw. Sad I know please don't comment - I love my dogs.. :o And I didn't want the typical block paw or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OperaticBug

Sorry NoDice :o, I tend to say fella to everyone without checking if they are male or female. I totally understand about your dog's paw tattoo, I have 2 fantastic dogs (golden retriever and a soft coated wheaton terrier) that are like kids to me. I love them dearly :)

I'll probably go check Smiley Dogg again soon, see what they think of my medieval designs lol

Ha ha that's fine, I do the same with "dude". Cool man, let me know how you get on. Haven't seen the new studio yet so would be interesting to know what it's like. Still toying with the idea of the sleeve so may pop back in there once I've the funds and on hearing how you find it.

The dogs sound gorgeous! I've a JRT/King Charles cross and a long haired German Shepherd. Got the smaller one's paw done last year at Smiley Dogg and don't think I'll be getting the GSD's paw done as it's massive! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I got both mine done in Holy Cow, and I'm very happy with them, it's unfortunate you had a bad experience. Although I think it can often depend on how much the artist is into what they're doing on you.

i have heard a few times that Smiley Dogg is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

If Karen Russell is still tattooing down there I'd go to her

Advertisement