Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing novice (need help)

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently bought some fishing gear with the intention of starting to fish off piers around Dublin. I know it's not mackerel season so I'm not expecting to catch any of them just yet. So i have four questions for you;

(1) What are the other species available at the moment?
    (2) What's the best rig for catching them?
    (3) Where's the best place to go for a complete novice where I can make lots of mistakes without disrupting some of the more seasoned folk?
    (4) Does anyone know of someone that does lessons around the Dublin area?

I have a 3.6m Lineaeffe sea spinning rod with a weight of 326gr and a rainbow Kg6000 spinning reel with what I think is 14lb line??

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm as new to this as possible.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

to be honest, find out where the nearest angling club is and ask them to help you out, their local information will be invaluable to species and what rigs and bait works, and they should be more than only helpful to get you started,

and dont worry about fishing beside the more seasoned folk, they are the ones who can teach you everything you need to know, best start a conversation with them about fishing and let then know your only starting off, at one stage they were like you too, a beginner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If you give IFI (formerly Eastern Regional Fisheries Board), in Blackrock, a ring they should have an angling officer who will have all the info you need. They may have publications of interest too. You could look them up online either.

Advertisement