Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to Medicine as a Mature Student

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys!

I'm a 22 year old lost soul desperate for enlightenment in relation to the above topic!

My birthday is the 6th January 1989 which means I won't be a mature student until 2012 and unfortunately I will have missed the deadline by 4 days.

I sat my first Leaving Certificate in 2006 with an average result of 425 points as a result of many negative external factors. That particular year I applied to various medical institutions and as a last resort, to Arts in UCD (and other colleges) with a view of becoming a teacher as a 'back-up'. On completion of my 3 year degree and a fairly disappointing 2:2, I decided to once again sit the Leaving Certificate along with the HPAT in 2010 and unfortunately missed out on the points for undergraduate medicine by the skin of my teeth. My next choice on the CAO was General Nursing in UCD, which I am now studying, and quite enjoying at that but I still aspire to fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor..!
    Ideally, I would like to use my mature years as a grounds for entry into Medicine as soon as possible but unfortunately I don't know what options are at my disposal! Which Universities would consider me? In which countries? And how can I increase my chances of succeeding??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have found it hard to find any clear, straight forward information.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

You definitely won't be able to be considered as a mature student until you are 23 from 1st Jan so 2012 at the earliest. I'm not sure how long your HPAT results last but you will need this to apply. I don't know the answers to all of your questions but I think that you will get more replies in the Health Science Forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1274

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

It's great that you still want to pursue your dream :) Think most here on the mature & non-traditional can identify with that :)

First thing to bear in mind the financial burden of fees now that you've done an undergrad already.

other than that, you can apply to all of the medicine courses as far as I'm aware in Ireland. Some would be on the basis of mature status, and some might be on the basis of your LC and aptitute tests, if they are sufficient. I think it's important to consider that when applying to be a mature student, colleges really take into account your motivation, interest, and commitment to the course for interviews and personal statements. I think you may have to be 'crafty' in how you explain why you chose to take up the nursing course, and turn it to your advantage in your application.

Other than that you could apply for graduate courses in the UK, you'd probably be in a good position with your year of nursing behind you. There are loads of courses out there, it's just a matter of sititng down at the puter and researching them one by one. Which can be quite daunting, but also exciting, as it's the start of the process :)

Loads of help here anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mostlycircles

Thank you Laydee and Feu :) I've also posted this thread in the Health Science Forum.. fingers crossed for more info!!

Advertisement