Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen 12V recessed lights - safest options?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

We've a set of 12V halogen recessed lights in our kitchen. They're very well ventilated into an attic and not at all in a position where they should overheat. However, on some of the fittings, the cables have (after about 5 years) burnt just at the back of the bulb holder.

I'm not entirely happy with the safety of these fittings and I'm considering swapping them out for something a little more robust.

They're open at the back, I'd rather have something that was a little more self-contained and controlled.

Any suggestions?

A lot of the fittings available in the usual DIY stores seem like absolute junk.

Ideally, I'd prefer to stick with 12V as the transformers are already in place.

BTW: how does the light output on those compare to standard halogen bulbs?

We have our hall lit with MR16 230V LEDs and they're OK, but not as bright as I would like.

I know the technology's improving rapidly though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

its the heat off the bulb causing the holder and cable to burn and perish
    you can replace the holder
    and also using 12v led lamps will help
    http://www.qvsdirect.com/12v-3W-MR16-LED-Lamp-pr-23755.html
    available from wholesalers here but not suitable with all transformers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I might look into that. I'm just generally not very keen on these recessed fittings from a fire-safety point of view. They run ridiculously hot.

There's a lot to be said for surface mounted spots and they don't look THAT bad! At least they won't usually burn your house down !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

led lamps run really cool
    only 3watt
    try the super bright ones

3 Watts - Ultra low power consumption
    45 superbright LEDs per lamp
    150 Lumen
    Energy class A
    50,000hrs average service life
    Fits standard MR16 fitting
    96% energy saving compared to halogen bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

If replacing you shoud consider a fire rated downlighter (such as the 1 in the link below) as this will return the fire rating of the ceiling which was decreased by the installation of recessed downlighters.
    http://www.aurora.eu.com/ProductPages/LampProductDetails.aspx?g=6908&c=375&b=94&oc=375

Advertisement