Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News Report about Increase in Irish emigrating to Australia 2011

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Adrian Lydon talks to some of the thousands of Irish who are setting up home in Sydney, Australia for RTE NEWS

I'm afraid that the woman in this video was very stupid to over stay her visa and is in for a surprise when she goes to the airport to go home . Immigration is going to want to have a chat with her and probable will be band her from returning to Oz for a while.

Trust me you don't want to over stay your visa in Australia. They don't like poeple who mess them about when it comes to visas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

More feckin' Irish on their way here?? jeez..

It is good immigration are putting an emphasis on English language and skills as a lot of people here have little or no English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

More feckin' Irish on their way here?? jeez..

It is good immigration are putting an emphasis on English language and skills as a lot of people here have little or no English.

Yeah it's a good thing for most of us, but those from Cork might be struggling ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Jezz more cork jokes? Is any where safe!

These changes will make it easier but one still has to have the relevant skills and experience to get a skilled visa, plus stump up a **** load of cash. Those expecting handouts will be expectedly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ozeire wrote: »
    I'm afraid that the woman in this video was very stupid to over stay her visa and is in for a surprise when she goes to the airport to go home . Immigration is going to want to have a chat with her and probable will be band her from returning to Oz for a while.

It didn't say she overstayed.
    Said she considered the illegal route but decided to go home as she no longer has a visa. I would assume this means her current visa is up very soon so she is going home.

Wouldn't consider it a **** load, defo a worthwhile investment if you wish to stay on and are looking at going home to no job (and maybe no dole if you've been away too long)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Ozeire wrote: »

Mellor- shes been here 3 years so likely illegal already.

What difference does it make that she said it on tv? Ive known FA people who returned home while illegal (tbh Ive known hardly anyone who has returned home when the visa is up full stop) but those who did return went to the DIAC in advance to inform them they had overstayed, not sure why but maybe because they wanted to get any interview over and done with that might hold them at the airport and delay getting to their flight.

Also, is it ture than once the visa runs out you are given a 28 day grace period to leave without restriuctions on coming back?

BTW where is the 30,000 figure come from? Something like 30,000 arrived in 2009 and a smaller but big enough number in 2010. The only 09 arrivals I knew who had to go home were lads who arrived in the January- May economic scare who ran out of money. Take into account few people leaving, student visas, skilled visas, and all the partners attatched to student/skilled visas, and illegals, there surely must be twice the RTE number.

Mellor- shes been here 3 years so likely illegal already.
    She said she considered going illegal, but decide to go home. ie hasn't been illegal for a year. If she was alredy 12 months illegal, I'm sure she'd stay.

Most likely she did 24 months on a WHV and the rest was student visa, which is a common, and acceptable way to extend a say and support yourself in work.
    Also, is it ture than once the visa runs out you are given a 28 day grace period to leave without restriuctions on coming back?
    For a 457, you get 28 days if get a new sponsored position, or leave.

AFAIK, there is nothing in place for a WHV. you have a defined date to leave, and know what day this is 12 months in advance. That said, they prob let a few days over stayed slide, although, i'd ring in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

but those who did return went to the DIAC in advance to inform them they had overstayed, not sure why but maybe because they wanted to get any interview over and done with that might hold them at the airport and delay getting to their flight.

Simple reason for that Shane.

If you are an overstayer and you decide to go home you can then go and buy a plane ticket, then go and turn yourself in to your Consulate or DIAC.

DIAC will then issue you with a bridging visa either for 28 days or until the date on the ticket. The bridging visa will keep you legal for that short time to sort out your affairs and allow you to actually leave the country thus avoid any issues at the Airport on the way out. (you dont want to miss your flight as that means Villawood)

Its always better to turn yourself in sooner than later as constantly looking over your shoulder would literally be a pain in the neck, if you got caught in an immigration raid or for instance you got caught speeding/drink driving or simply got caught up in a pub punch up and they find out you have no visa the police can turn you over to immigration. If you have no ticket booked then you obviously have no intention of leaving and its a 1 way ticket to Villawood.

If you end up in Villawood they can keep you there for as long as they want, usually until they have arranged for you to be removed (deported) at the cost of the Australian government. Been locked up for 3 days with the chance of being arse raped by some big Tongan would not be my idea of a better alternative than returning to Ireland and the dole queue.

Also as I mentioned in another thread overstaying then turning yourself in will cop you a ban but this does not affect ENS PR as long as you have the skills assessment, Sponsor and met all the other the criteria, getting caught and deported would not look good on any application as then you owe thousands to the Australian Government.

That is actually true. (sorry Mellor)

Exclusion from Australia

Persons who overstay their visa by more than 28 days become subject to an exclusion period that prevents them from being granted a temporary visa to travel to Australia for three years. This exclusion period applies whether they leave voluntarily or not.

Even after the exclusion period has finished, the person cannot be granted a visa unless they repay any debt they owe to the Commonwealth, including for costs of removal, or they make satisfactory arrangements to repay their debt.

also if you have no valid visa you have no Hosp or medical cover, if you end up in accident you are then in the Governments pocket for serious $$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Thats a really bad article...

1: Refering to WHVs as 2 year holiday visa is not good we all know the visa is not a "Here have 2 year visa".

2: Saying that the PR route is changing but not elaborating in what way is b()llix, as said if you have engilish but no skills your still not getting in.

3: The whole 3 year chick thing not explianing the 3 years leads to assumptions in Ireland you can stay for three years on the "2 year WHV"

Actually here is a good Fact sheet on overstaying.

Fact Sheet 86

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    Thats a really bad article...

1: Refering to WHVs as 2 year holiday visa is not good we all know the visa is not a "Here have 2 year visa".

In fairness these days its nothing less than that for the Irish. The WHV is a backpacker visa for everyone else- for pretty much all Irish arriving these days its an introduction to play the game and hopefully secure permant residency. Most wont do it within the 2 years, even skilled lads, all will skirt a line of half illegal/ half stay on cheap student courses until theyve been here so long they score residency/ sponsorship/ a sponsored Irish bird/ an Aussie girl. tbh the smartest way for any Irish couple to stay is for one to take a student course, the other be de facto, and split the costs.

Dont really know why its changed right now mind bar the economy- if anything when I first arrived the difference in cost of living was ridicilous. While Australia is currently still way cheaper, back on 08/ 09 the difference was beyond belief. I cant believe anyone wanted to go home back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I thought it seemed like the news clip was designed by the Irish government/RTE to get rid of as many young men as possible so they wouldn't be claiming benefits here anymore...:rolleyes:

mandrake04 wrote: »

Exclusion from Australia

Persons who overstay their visa by more than 28 days become subject to an exclusion period that prevents them from being granted a temporary visa to travel to Australia for three years. This exclusion period applies whether they leave voluntarily or not.

Even after the exclusion period has finished, the person cannot be granted a visa unless they repay any debt they owe to the Commonwealth, including for costs of removal, or they make satisfactory arrangements to repay their debt.

that's good to know (sorry Fr. Damo) seeing as it potentially applies to me if things go bad :(

However, just to play devils adovocate, its doesn't say that its ok to stay up to 28 days. Its says over 28 days = automatic 3 yr ban. Tiny difference.
    They could potentially, if somebody stayed over say 21 days, decide to hand out a ban, or a bit of questioning at the airport. I'm not saying they would, or that they do, but the above doesn't say its ok to overstay.

Is there anything to specifically stop them giving you grief, ban threats etc, at the airport if you overstay by less than 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

30,000?! :eek:

I'll be avoiding Bondi so.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    30,000?! :eek:

I'll be avoiding Bondi so.

lol, that was supposed to be the total for all australia, not the number in bondi.
    The report was a bit sensationalist.

The numbers for the last few years were (appears to be counted per tax year);
    Ireland
    05/06 - 12,554
    06/07 - 13,518
    07/08 - 17,120
    08/09 - 22,786
    09/10 - 14,833

Ireland are 4th highest on the number of WHVs issued, (UK, korea, Germany are top 3). Which is obv high for irish relative to population.

But remember, these are number WHVs issued, not number of people. Every 2ndWHV issued, increases the numbers above, but not the people here (that prob effects the UK, Germany, etc stats too if hey aren't getting 2ndWHVs in the same ratios)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mandrake04 wrote: »

"Also, is it ture than once the visa runs out you are given a 28 day grace period to leave without restriuctions on coming back?"

There is restrictions on coming back, a friend of mine overstayed by two days (apparently she got a tuesday and thursday mixed up)

She was on a WHV and was going to Fiji and coming back to Aus for a holiday before going home.

When she got to the airport they would not let her leave until she bought a flight home (or possibly away from Oz).

I know that is only a small condition, but otherwise emigration didn't really have a problem.

Now if you over stay by 20days it could be a different story

hussey wrote: »
    There is restrictions on coming back, a friend of mine overstayed by two days (apparently she got a tuesday and thursday mixed up)

She was on a WHV and was going to Fiji and coming back to Aus for a holiday before going home.

When she got to the airport they would not let her leave until she bought a flight home (or possibly away from Oz).

I know that is only a small condition, but otherwise emigration didn't really have a problem.

I reckon thats just a holiday visa thing, she was lucky to get back at all.

I have said this before but entering with a holiday visa straight after a WHV is risky enough and you could be refused... Lot of people do a 'visa run' to NZ or Fiji and then come back on a tourist visa and pickup their old job and continue working for another 6 months. DIAC view it that way.

I reckon that the 28 days grace shouldnt be taken as gospel, it would be the wrong message that a WHV is 393 days instead of 365. But technically the fact sheet says you will receive no ban.... probably just a 4 week grey area to cover mistakes like your friend or maybe people having 2nd thought of going illegal.

Now if you over stay by 20days it could be a different story

tbh anyone Irish coming in on a 3 month tourist visa would probably not be admitted if they didnt have a return to Ireland or a ticket forward to another country. Especially if they had already done 2 years of WHV.

tbh anyone Irish coming in on a 3 month tourist visa would probably not be admitted if they didnt have a return to Ireland or a ticket forward to another country. Especially if they had already done 2 years of WHV.

That is very true.

Wisco wrote: »
    I thought it seemed like the news clip was designed by the Irish government/RTE to get rid of as many young men as possible so they wouldn't be claiming benefits here anymore...:rolleyes:

I would be lying if I said this did not cross my mind??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70418396#post70418396

Lets see what conspiracy theories thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

as far as immigration is concerned (according to them when i asked), overstaying by one day, or even a few hours technically makes you an unlawful non-citizen. Has to do with everything being recorded electronically, so if your visa expires on the 21st of march 2015, then you have until midnight on that day to leave the country. Once the system records you as being unlawful, that's it! game over. Now, having said that, some officers will take the letter of the law quite literally, others will apply common and humane sense to the situation, as in the case of your friend. once they knew she had an onward ticket out of aus and on to a country she was allowed entry to, she was allowed in. simple, aparently :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

as far as immigration is concerned (according to them when i asked), overstaying by one day, or even a few hours technically makes you an unlawful non-citizen. Has to do with everything being recorded electronically, so if your visa expires on the 21st of march 2015, then you have until midnight on that day to leave the country. Once the system records you as being unlawful, that's it! game over. Now, having said that, some officers will take the letter of the law quite literally, others will apply common and humane sense to the situation, as in the case of your friend. once they knew she had an onward ticket out of aus and on to a country she was allowed entry to, she was allowed in. simple, aparently :pac:

The brother overstayed by 3 days on the 2nd WHV and was banned for 3 days.

The brother overstayed by 3 days on the 2nd WHV and was banned for 3 days.

Days or years?

Ok in the space of a few days another one

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0131/media-2896640.html#

Haha, government funded research no doubt.
    I used to work beside that site at shown at the start, Ambercrombie st, near broadway.

Quick dump the unemployed till the next election!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

The government should be applauded for making rte do these reports though. Its exactly whats needed right now.

Emigration is beneficial to everyone involved at the minute. Its beneficial to the unemployed in that they can get jobs/experience, and of course send a few quid back to Ireland every month. Its beneficial for Irish tax payers not having the burden of so many people on the dole to pay for.

Ireland has a ton of unemployed construction workers. Australia needs a ton of construction workers. It makes sense. I think its fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The government should be applauded for making rte do these reports though. Its exactly whats needed right now.

Emigration is beneficial to everyone involved at the minute. Its beneficial to the unemployed in that they can get jobs/experience, and of course send a few quid back to Ireland every month. Its beneficial for Irish tax payers not having the burden of so many people on the dole to pay for.

Ireland has a ton of unemployed construction workers. Australia needs a ton of construction workers. It makes sense. I think its fantastic.

I think this deserves a....

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

That figure of 50,000 would not becoming to Australia the majority would be going to UK or other European countries. Maybe a few to USA & Canada.

Really on average there are 2300* Irish people emigrating to Australia per year compared to 29,000* brits.

WHV does not count as emigration because its just a holiday.... on average about 11,413* visa holders actually onshore ....they will have to return at some stage unless they get sponsored, but even then the average total number of Irish people actually onshore on a 457 sponsorship visa over last fiscal year was 4254***.

* Average over the last 3 fiscal years
    **average over the last fiscal year (09/10) and would include 2nd WHV
    *** average primary & secondary 457 visa holders over last fiscal year (09/10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Advertisement