Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News Report about Increase in Irish emigrating to Australia 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    T
    WHV does not count as emigration because its just a holiday.... on average about 11,413* visa holders actually onshore ....

The average issued over the last 3 fiscal years was over 18,000/yr (from the immi website)
    But from those stats, a reasonable large number don't take the full 12 months, get sponsored, or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    The average issued over the last 3 fiscal years was over 18,000/yr (from the immi website)
    But from those stats, a reasonable large number don't take the full 12 months, get sponsored, or otherwise.

Those updated stats are from the immi statistics Dec 2010, they are the average of 417 visa holders actual onshore at end of each QTR over 09/10.

Ties in with your stats 14,883 visas issued in 09/10 but only an average 11,413 actually onshore.

I know, thats exactly thought they were??????
    Which is why i said a reasonable number didn't stay 12 months, (or also never came to Oz at all I suppose)

Look at june 09, 22k issued, half that on shore.
    Basically long story, RTE are scaremongerers, I doubt that there is 30k irish in australia now.

Mellor wrote: »

Same data for the 417 actual onshore over the

2008/2009 fiscal year 12,075
    2007/2008 fiscal year 9,179
    2006/2007 fiscal year 7,965

457 holders onshore in Australia (Actual)

2008/2009 FY 3,521
    2007/2008 FY 2,666
    2006/2007 FY 2,373

457 visa granted in FY (Primary & Secondary applicants)

2009/2010 FY 3370
    2008/2009 FY 3130
    2007/2008 FY 2770

and the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I find it strange that people keep going on about our 'best and brightest emmirgrating due to the economy'. Its not really emmirgration as the majority of these people are on holiday visas and will be back in a year or two

I find it strange that people keep going on about our 'best and brightest emmirgrating due to the economy'. Its not really emmirgration as the majority of these people are on holiday visas and will be back in a year or two

Yip over the last 3 FY years only 6689 Irish people emigrated to Australia.

Also note the onshore PR grants which I assume was 457--> 856 route. A bit of an increase over the last 2 FY probably due to the rule changes.

2007-08 584
    2008-09 854
    2009-10 1256

On average only 2853 Irish people were on 457 per year. (over the same 3 years)

I find those figures amazing, I would have thought they would have been far more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Emigration is beneficial to everyone involved at the minute. Its beneficial to the unemployed in that they can get jobs/experience, and of course send a few quid back to Ireland every month. Its beneficial for Irish tax payers not having the burden of so many people on the dole to pay for.

Uh no if they are employrd here well maybe I'm selfish but I would like them to spend their cash here.

If they are the best and brightest they may well stay its the lack lustre and lazy that I would be happy to see the back of after a year.

Zambia wrote: »
    Uh no if they are employrd here well maybe I'm selfish but I would like them to spend their cash here.

If they are the best and brightest they may well stay its the lack lustre and lazy that I would be happy to see the back of after a year.

They just use the term 'best and brightest' as a stick to beat the current government, I doubt many Irish brain surgeons or scientists are heading over to Oz any time soon..

Personally I think with the amount of people who went to 3rd level over the past couple of years, jobs shortages were always going to happen due to the small size of our population and jobs market... Couple of my lecturers said they've 'dumbed down' degree courses as well so now a days just about anyone can get a degree in something or other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Ive been here 2 years and known 6 people who went back. The rest are illegal, on student visas, went on to NZ/ Canada/ USA etc etc....basically, arriving in Australia is like back in the convict days- nobody actually goes back.

• Advertisement

Ive been here 2 years and known 6 people who went back. The rest are illegal, on student visas, went on to NZ/ Canada/ USA etc etc....basically, arriving in Australia is like back in the convict days- nobody actually goes back.

Ha, my ol man is in Sydney at the mo, said its unbelievable.. Says hes doesn't want to leave funnily enough

I dunno, I don't see the point in stayin illegally.. As far as I know getting a job is tricky when you illegal, and for me its kinda pointless staying if you can't get good work.. your only kidding yourself really if you are just hanging around for the nice weather etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ha, my ol man is in Sydney at the mo, said its unbelievable.. Says hes doesn't want to leave funnily enough

I dunno, I don't see the point in stayin illegally.. As far as I know getting a job is tricky when you illegal, and for me its kinda pointless staying if you can't get good work.. your only kidding yourself really if you are just hanging around for the nice weather etc

Agreed at some stage you have to go legal.What you going to do? Work at a bar for the next 10 years. Actually is there a path for someone who is there illegally to go legal? Sponsorship I presume.

The DIAC will cop on at some stage if there are thousands of illegals staying all of a sudden. Expect a today tonight program on it! ;)

jank wrote: »
    Agreed at some stage you have to go legal.What you going to do? Work at a bar for the next 10 years. Actually is there a path for someone who is there illegally to go legal? Sponsorship I presume.

The DIAC will cop on at some stage if there are thousands of illegals staying all of a sudden. Expect a today tonight program on it! ;)

Employer sponsorship ENS 121 can be a path (not effected from a 3 year exclusion because its Permanent Residency) but I have been told that DIAC will not accept your application unless you are offshore. So its either hide out for the rest of your life or bite the bullet and go home and apply same as everyone else.

If your illegal and end up in hospital your reciprocal agreement is no longer, you have to foot that bill yourself.

Employer sponsorship ENS 121 can be a path (not effected from a 3 year exclusion because its Permanent Residency) but I have been told that DIAC will not accept your application unless you are offshore. So its either hide out for the rest of your life or bite the bullet and go home and apply same as everyone else.

If your illegal and end up in hospital your reciprocal agreement is no longer, you have to foot that bill yourself.

Ouch, that could be a big one that will catch many on the hop.

Ouch, that could be a big one that will catch many on the hop.

Indeed.... No one thinks of these things when they go illegal, then they get knocked down by a taxi or fall over pissed. No cover so you are up for all bills.

Overview
    The Australian Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with the governments of the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand which entitles you to limited subsidised health services for medically necessary treatment while visiting Australia.

Period of cover
    As a resident of the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand you are covered for the duration of your approved visit to Australia.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

Not true. The Aussie health and police have a policy of turning a blind eye to immigration status for a few reasons (mainly humanitarian- the thinking by the cops is that they cant let witnesses or victims of serious crime not come forward for fear of deportation, the thinking of the health service is that its immoral to have illegals deny themselves treatment for fear of being deported). I gashed my leg open in work and was asked was I legal, and when I said I was was pretty much told not to worry about it, as in the nurse assumed I might be lying (this was late 2009, when the amount of Irish illegals was kicking off). Id two mates (one illegal, a girl) who witnessed an assault, and pretty much the first thing told to her when giving a statement was that her status was irrelevant and they wouldnt chase it up. My mate was in St Vincents for 4 days after falling off 10 ft of scaffolding- they just wanna see the passport, they couldnt be ****ed checking your time of arrival and all that...its Australia FFS, like theyd bother :pac:

Not true. The Aussie health and police have a policy of turning a blind eye to immigration status for a few reasons (mainly humanitarian- the thinking by the cops is that they cant let witnesses or victims of serious crime not come forward for fear of deportation, the thinking of the health service is that its immoral to have illegals deny themselves treatment for fear of being deported). I gashed my leg open in work and was asked was I legal, and when I said I was was pretty much told not to worry about it, as in the nurse assumed I might be lying (this was late 2009, when the amount of Irish illegals was kicking off). Id two mates (one illegal, a girl) who witnessed an assault, and pretty much the first thing told to her when giving a statement was that her status was irrelevant and they wouldnt chase it up. My mate was in St Vincents for 4 days after falling off 10 ft of scaffolding- they just wanna see the passport, they couldnt be ****ed checking your time of arrival and all that...its Australia FFS, like theyd bother :pac:

Really Shane you should read over what you have just posted, to be honest it sounds like you are really trying to convince yourself that there is no negative effects of being illegal.

Its the same as you banging on other threads about Visa Fibbers..... you are just trying to convince everyone here that these people are doing nothing wrong by using a diluted phrase, you wouldn't use the term Visa Fraudsters on here because you are afraid of everyone thinking it was wrong. As above its sounds like the only one you are trying to convince is yourself, only the truth is..

Visa Fibbers = Visa fraudsters= ruining the proper process for everyone else.

So from now on lets call it what it is Visa Fraudsters...

So back to the Reciprocal Health question, I know someone who was illegal and got slapped with a $4000 bill to fix up his face after he fell and broke his cheek bone. Also its written there on the medicare website so technically your claims of it being Not True would be false, it might be the case that if you fall and scape your knee and require a bandaid then A&E might not be bothered filling out the paper work but then Father Damo you could be just making those examples up. What happens if you are seriously hurt and need an major operation?... cant see them letting it slip.

Really Father Damo after you writing the above how ironic would it be if you got hit by a bus and had to phone home for the money, that would be a tragedy of fate and a half.... talk about sods law & skuding yourself.

Sorry MODS have I done anything anything wrong by trying to correct Father Damos claims that the medicare website is wrong and that if you are illegal then you are fully entitled to Reciprocal Health cover? I am just concerned that any young Irish people reading Father Damo's usual comments might think that going illegal is normal. I would hate for some poor parents having to fork out for hospital bill because Father Damo said it was all good.

Cuts and gashes are one thing. But if you get knocked down by a car, need a life saving operation and 24x7 treatment for a few weeks/months then the hospital will be looking for someone to pay. Its something that is not going to happen everyday but it will be kinda ironic that some pissed paddy out in OZ to earn a few bob and escape the recession manages to bankrupt the family back home. Then again personal responsibility is not something most of these idiots know.

Indeed.... No one thinks of these things when they go illegal, then they get knocked down by a taxi or fall over pissed. No cover so you are up for all bills.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

Stop the bus, we get free healthcare in Oz? Whats the catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Stop the bus, we get free healthcare in Oz? Whats the catch?

Read the link - it's not free healthcare

• Advertisement

Really Shane you should read over what you have just posted, to be honest it sounds like you are really trying to convince yourself that there is no negative effects of being illegal.

Theres tonnes, which is why I dont intend to become illegal, though it will be a struggle.

Its the same as you banging on other threads about Visa Fibbers..... you are just trying to convince everyone here that these people are doing nothing wrong by using a diluted phrase, you wouldn't use the term Visa Fraudsters on here because you are afraid of everyone thinking it was wrong.

I would in my fcuking hole. Half my mates are visa fraudsters or illegals, I couldnt give a sh1t. If half my mates were paedophiles or muggers, yes, they would be terms that would bother me. Victimless crime that benefits the economy of a country where 5% of natives are too lazy to work really doesnt itch me too badly tbh. I might feel a slight guilt if any of us were actually stealing jobs off natives, but we arent. Fcuk, if I got 250 a week off the government, if Im living with my parents thats discount food, little rent and a load of beer and beach money while selling pills and weed- why the fcuk would I work ? The Australian economy would be in detriment without Irish illegals- I challenge you to argue otherwise.

So from now on lets call it what it is Visa Fraudsters...

Sound. Fight the power, the Irish have been fighting corrupt systems for 800 years. Conning a system that tacitly encourages semi slave labour is an extension tbh, although the rule change that allows for 2nd year qualification for working on flood related clean up and construction is certainly a positive step. But really I couldnt give a **** if people who gambled their savings on an ill fated trip to a fruit farm and left skint lied on their visa. Fair fcuking play to them. Typical Irish tradition- if the system want to fcuk you, fcuk it first.
    So back to the Reciprocal Health question, I know someone who was illegal and got slapped with a $4000 bill to fix up his face after he fell and broke his cheek bone. Also its written there on the medicare website so technically your claims of it being Not True would be false, it might be the case that if you fall and scape your knee and require a bandaid then A&E might not be bothered filling out the paper work but then Father Damo you could be just making those examples up. What happens if you are seriously hurt and need an major operation?... cant see them letting it slip.

Ill give you one point. Legal or not you are generally required to pay ambulance pick up fees, but generally speaking all treatment is free. An exception would be having to be flown back to Ireland by air ambulance which, if you have no insurance, you would be pretty fcuked for. However I know that despite whatever sh1te is on the websites I have known people to get free treatment and follow up without their visa status being questioned, only a showing of the passport was needed. I am not saying every single hospital in Australia takes this approach but certainly many do. Its a bit like the way it will cost you to go to a local GP here with a regular flu/ headcold but will be completely free to see the GP in your nearest hospital.

Really Father Damo after you writing the above how ironic would it be if you got hit by a bus and had to phone home for the money, that would be a tragedy of fate and a half.... talk about sods law & skuding yourself.

Seeing as Im not illegal I doubt it would be a problem, but even if I was I wouldnt be too worried.
    I am just concerned that any young Irish people reading Father Damo's usual comments might think that going illegal is normal. I would hate for some poor parents having to fork out for hospital bill because Father Damo said it was all good.

To think you actually live in Australia and take every government website word as gospel is baffling. Australia is so disorganised Im sure the DIAC site still has a Whites Only policy buried on its back pages somewhere. Final word- Im not saying you should completely ignore whats on whatever website, but personal experiences have me thinking they take it on a case by case basis.

The Australian economy would be in detriment without Irish illegals- I challenge you to argue otherwise.

Are you for real? A few hundred illegals propping up an entire nation!! Classic.

Seeing as Im not illegal I doubt it would be a problem,

I do apologize, I was informed otherwise.

To think you actually live in Australia and take every government website word as gospel is baffling.

It doesn't matter what I think or believe, it what you can write on this forum.

What you wrote was misleading, I just corrected you.

You just make these stupid statements I just pull you up on it. Simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Theres tonnes, which is why I dont intend to become illegal, though it will be a struggle.
    Very true
    I would in my fcuking hole. Half my mates are visa fraudsters or illegals, I couldnt give a sh1t. If half my mates were paedophiles or muggers, yes, they would be terms that would bother me. Victimless crime that benefits the economy of a country where 5% of natives are too lazy to work really doesnt itch me too badly tbh. I might feel a slight guilt if any of us were actually stealing jobs off natives, but we arent. Fcuk, if I got 250 a week off the government, if Im living with my parents thats discount food, little rent and a load of beer and beach money while selling pills and weed- why the fcuk would I work ? The Australian economy would be in detriment without Irish illegals- I challenge you to argue otherwise.
    Its not a victimless crime tho, it hurts the rest of us Irish here in Australia, it makes Police and the like Suspicious of us, it gives us a bad image.

Sound. Fight the power, the Irish have been fighting corrupt systems for 800 years. Conning a system that tacitly encourages semi slave labour is an extension tbh, although the rule change that allows for 2nd year qualification for working on flood related clean up and construction is certainly a positive step. But really I couldnt give a **** if people who gambled their savings on an ill fated trip to a fruit farm and left skint lied on their visa. Fair fcuking play to them. Typical Irish tradition- if the system want to fcuk you, fcuk it first.
    the only thing you are Fcuking up is the Chances of further Irish people to legally Emigrate to Australia, because a few Gobsh!tes couldnt be arsed to do a bit of Fcukin hard Graft for 88 Fcukin days.

in fairness I'd be glad that those people were gettin booted out of the country, cos ya know what they'd probably just end up at the Beach drinking beer and smoking Pot with the bogans
    Ill give you one point. Legal or not you are generally required to pay ambulance pick up fees, but generally speaking all treatment is free. An exception would be having to be flown back to Ireland by air ambulance which, if you have no insurance, you would be pretty fcuked for. However I know that despite whatever sh1te is on the websites I have known people to get free treatment and follow up without their visa status being questioned, only a showing of the passport was needed. I am not saying every single hospital in Australia takes this approach but certainly many do. Its a bit like the way it will cost you to go to a local GP here with a regular flu/ headcold but will be completely free to see the GP in your nearest hospital.
    your visa status WILL be Questioned at some stage, you are mistaken if you think otherwise, Ambulances aint Free, Doctors aint free, hospitals aint free, however the systems in place for billing are very efficient and usualy done later, what you and your mates do is effectivley Rob that Ambo or doctor of the Money they should have been paid
    Seeing as Im not illegal I doubt it would be a problem, but even if I was I wouldnt be too worried.
    you should be tho, The Passport only covers Basic and emergency needs, you need Medicare or some other private health fund too to properly cover yerself
    To think you actually live in Australia and take every government website word as gospel is baffling. Australia is so disorganised Im sure the DIAC site still has a Whites Only policy buried on its back pages somewhere. Final word- Im not saying you should completely ignore whats on whatever website, but personal experiences have me thinking they take it on a case by case basis.

1) government Information is usually very informative and up to date in matters of Central policy like Imigration
    2) you come from Ireland and you consider the Australian Government, Civil service and Public sector to be disorganised :pac:
    3) The whites only policy is for a different debate
    4) the final word belongs to THEM not you, they wrote the rules, their interpretation is what counts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Victimless crime
    Tax evasion, fraud, hurt reputations, all victimless crime?
    The Australian economy would be in detriment without Irish illegals- I challenge you to argue otherwise.

Ha ha - YOU prove otherwise, the Irish over here are a tiny minority (1-2% at best?) you state a ridiculous statement which is laughable, and say to prove it wrong

Mod
    Father Damo - please enough of your imagined stats about Irish people over here, you if cannot back it up don't state it, that goes for all threads, if I read another 'sure half Irish are illegal' statement I will ban you - it simply is not true, and frankly an insult to the legal Irish
    Mandrake wrote:

mandrake This was a thinly veiled insult/questioning about his visa status - make it your last.

I couldnt give a sh1t. If half my mates were paedophiles

I lol'd at this given your username

hussey wrote: »
    Mod
    Father Damo - please enough of your imagined stats about Irish people over here, you if cannot back it up don't state it, that goes for all threads, if I read another 'sure half Irish are illegal' statement I will ban you - it simply is not true, and frankly an insult to the legal Irish

I am here over a year and haven't meet one illegal Irish person. Though I did meet one with a questionable 2nd year whv. I think Damo has some imagination up on him. Either that or you hang around with losers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I Know OF one, Mammy told me about a youngfella from home that came over here, overstayed. was hunted by DIMMI and legged it in his Van.

He's not surfaced again.

Its not a victimless crime tho, it hurts the rest of us Irish here in Australia, it makes Police and the like Suspicious of us, it gives us a bad image.

Bollocks. Getting drunk in a pub makes us look like stereotypes, and is illegal. Have you ever been drunk in a pub? You cant pick and choose what victimless crimes are right and wrong mate. Dont like visa fraud? Well dont you ever dare get drunk in a pub again. Its a victimless crime but a crime all the same- you cannot differentiate.
    the only thing you are Fcuking up is the Chances of further Irish people to legally Emigrate to Australia, because a few Gobsh!tes couldnt be arsed to do a bit of Fcukin hard Graft for 88 Fcukin days.

You seem to be insinuating that mates who worked with me 12 hours a day 5 days a week and 10 hours on a Saturday are afraid of hard graft. Something you or Mandrake have probably never seen a bit of. Maybe my mates are just afraid of slave labour for slave money. Explain or STFU.

in fairness I'd be glad that those people were gettin booted out of the country, cos ya know what they'd probably just end up at the Beach drinking beer and smoking Pot with the bogans

Or working our arse off on jobs bogans wont do. Something you and Mandrake wouldnt have a clue about.

I havent smoked weed in 18 months but cheers anyway.

your visa status WILL be Questioned at some stage, you are mistaken if you think otherwise,

Bollocks
    Ambulances aint Free,

True
    Doctors aint free,

GP in the hospital is.
    hospitals aint free,

Bollocks.
    however the systems in place for billing are very efficient and usualy done later,

Efficient? Its Australia FFS. One of my mates has enough train fines to renovate Central.

Are you for real? A few hundred illegals propping up an entire nation!! Classic.

I realise you have little to no Irish mates because of the fact you have the same opinion of Irish in Oz as you do on the net. It doesnt give you an excuse to pretend what you are on about.

I do apologize, I was informed otherwise.

By....who? Exactly? Im leagally in this country until mid April, but cheers anyway.

What you wrote was misleading, I just corrected you.

No. You have just told any illegal Irish on this forum they are not entitled to free healthcare. Which is absoloute bollocks- generally the only charges they get is ambo fees. Like most of the bollocks you post here, incorrect. You are truly the Sunday Indo of this forum.

You just make these stupid statements I just pull you up on it. Simple.

On what? What incorrect statement have I made? Tell me and BTW also link me to the "lies" Ive posted that you accused me of on a previous thread- Im still waiting for that link. Again, the fact you have probably alienated any Irish mates you had here is no excuse to take it out on randomers on the net. Grow up, provide some actual facts or STFU.

Again, I want to see a link to my "lies", otherwise quit talking sh1te.
    hussey wrote: »

Ha ha - YOU prove otherwise, the Irish over here are a tiny minority (1-2% at best?) you state a ridiculous statement which is laughable, and say to prove it wrong

Ok.

5% of Sydneysiders are on the scratch.

If there wasnt x amount of Irish lads getting up at half 5 to go to sites....who would be there?

All due respect but, come on. The lads keep construction going, and there alot of offices who only employ Irish girls because Aussie girls are just too job hopping/ ringing in sick to rely on.
    3) The whites only policy is for a different debate

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69802410#post69802410

if A Black person asked me something in a Bar ore somewhere I would Ignore them, because I have no particular interest in talking to that person

You sir are a lovely lad, sound like a great lad to go for a few pints with. Jesus H Christ Id love to see you caught with some Maoris.

• Advertisement

I am here over a year and haven't meet one illegal Irish person. Though I did meet one with a questionable 2nd year whv. I think Damo has some imagination up on him. Either that or you hang around with losers!

Im going to asume you have met 3 Irish people in total so.

Advertisement