Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a start into IT

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I'm a mechanical engineer out of work. For the last few months ive been helping a web developer put together a website for an engineering supplies company. I'm basically uploading information onto it and organising categories etc.

Ive found it quite interesting and once the site goes live ive been offered a job handling orders that come in from the public. All this has got me interested in WEB design/administration and ive been looking into IT postgrads and courses.

Id this a good area to move into? is there much work out there for WEB design/admin. I rekon if I trained up in this area whilst working with the website orders etc I'll be learning along the way. What do ye think.??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea, think you could get work with that plan. Main thing i'd suggest is making sure you've a good idea of HTML/CSS, and knowedge of CMSs like Wordpres/Drupal etc... And some experience editing photos.

There's a 2 main routes I could see you taking:

1. Webmaster - someone who maintaines one, or more sites, but doesn't handle the core dsign or development of it. Universities & large orgs often need people like this who are generally savvy and know a bit about everything.

2. Developer - If you're more into the programming side, learning more about development, CMSs etc... could let you push into the web dev industry.

Whatever you decide, all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭00lk

Thanks P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Have a look at this as a possibility - I'm currently on the course: http://ww2.dkit.ie/schools_and_departments/imcm/computing_mathematics/courses/dka22

Advertisement