Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamma Cabinet to MAME

• 31-01-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I've decided that it's probably better to change my cabinet from Jamma to a MAME cabinet.

Does anyone know of anyone who does conversions for cash?

I might as well sell the PCB games I have to help fund the cost, no point in keeping them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

JPAC seems to be the way to go.

What games you got? (Purely as a matter of interest :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Get a 1000 in 1 board and have bes of both worlds without messing around too much, will always have the option to play jamma then if needed.

Food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I love the amount of mame/cab threads popping up here lately:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Hi O1s1n

PCB's I've got are

Superman

Spider-Man

Street Fighter Championship Edition (think it's a clone)

Puzz Loop

Double Dragon (can only play 1 player due to 2nd player automatically moving in one diection - wonder if it can be fixed?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

1069 in 1 or mame cab with Arcade VGA/Japac are your options. The xxxx in 1's are prone to breaking though so image the hardrive!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, the only problem is that I want to use the cabinet I have (due to the fact that the front door had to be removed from the house to get it in, so don't wanna have the trouble of that again) but I've asolutely no experience with electronics so would not be able to convert what I've got to MAME myself.

Had a look at the xxxx in 1's but they don't seem reliable and the website said this...

"The XXXX-in-1 Games Family Units have been discontinued through JammaBoards.com online store. Basically the XXXX-in-1 units can be described as a self-contained MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine E mulator) computer system with a JAMMA arcade connector. Although these Games Family units are a great concept and a very popular product, the hardware failure rate is much too high. JammaBoards.com is committed to only providing the highest quality gaming board, components, and devices...unfortunately the XXXX-in-1 units limited longevity and random hardware failures can no longer be tolerated.

I would highly suggest avoiding them and going with a more traditional MAME type system instead which would be much more stable and customizable than the XXXX-in-1 units."

That's why I was wondering if anyone who builds cabinets as a hobby, or makes cabinets to sell on, actually does housecalls :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Have you ever built your own PC? Are you comfortable installing a new gfx card into a PC? It's really not as hard as you think!

Logie, Never built a pc and wouldn't know what a gfx card looks like, let alone where to put it :o

Master of the Universe

Hygro wrote: »
    Hi O1s1n

PCB's I've got are

Superman

Spider-Man

Street Fighter Championship Edition (think it's a clone)

Puzz Loop

Double Dragon (can only play 1 player due to 2nd player automatically moving in one diection - wonder if it can be fixed?)

Ah I remember seeing that list! You were the guy who posted the pics of that monster cab you got in Quirkeys I think?

I may be interested in the Superman and Spiderman boards down the line if you do want to sell them. Although I'll mention it no more here as we're not meant to be trading in this forum.

Hygro wrote: »
    Logie, Never built a pc and wouldn't know what a gfx card looks like, let alone where to put it :o

It's all very modular. Almost a case of 'if it fits, that's where it goes!'

You wouldn't even need to build a pc. Could just get an old ready made one. Just make sure it runs all the games you want.

ok, understood about the pcb's, but I will be getting rid of them as Im gonna defo go for the MAME conversion.

I've a couple of spare pc's (nothing to write home about) but although I'm sure I could put a MAME emulator on them I'd never be able to connect it to a cabinet.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

All you have to do (from what I understand) is buy a JPAC.

Connect your pc to the JPAC and connect that to the JAMMA harness in the cabinet. It seems pretty straightforward and easy. If you can connect a JAMMA game board, you can connect a JPAC. Few of the lads here have done it, should be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    All you have to do (from what I understand) is buy a JPAC.

Connect your pc to the JPAC and connect that to the JAMMA harness in the cabinet. It seems pretty straightforward and easy. If you can connect a JAMMA game board, you can connect a JPAC. Few of the lads here have done it, should be able to help.

Thats essentially it, the JPAC turns your pc into a pcb of sorts, giving you a jamma edge connector.

Sounds all to simple to be true :) I'll check it out though.

Advertisement