Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy saplings?

• 31-01-2011 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi i am wondering where the best place to buy saplings are. somewhere in the Munster area would be best.

also could anyone also point me in the right direction as to how to plant a few hundred saplings.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We had dealings recently with Hedges.ie and found them good. Some good advice on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EcoplanMan

I get a lot of trees from Fermoy Woodland Nurseries and the quality is always good and they're helpful and great to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

thanks a million for the ideas. im thinking of planting maybe a few hundred noble firs. im new to this so i could do with any help that you could offer. eg spacing and how long do they take to grow etc etc.

would be interested in talking to anybody who has planted these and whats their experiences were

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think spacing is 2m x 2m
    simplest way to plant them is with a spade, take the scraw off first, dig a hole about 30 cm deep put the scraw in, grass side down in the bottom of the hole. Plant the tree so that the roots are at the same depth as they were in the nursery, spread them out a bit and refill the hole. If you are doing it this way only order 100 at a time from the nursery so that the roots don't dry out.

If you're a lazy bastard:o just cut an L-shape slot with the spade, push the sod over with the spade, when you do this just drop the tree down, remove the spade and stamp it in with your heel.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

would i have to plough the field or just the holes where i want to plant them or any other pre planting work ?

what kind of land do these trees do best on?

what kinda maintenance would i have to do from year to year?

is there any grants available?

as i said im a complete novice at this so all help is much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement