Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography portfolio query.

• 31-01-2011 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Ok im probably gona get alot of hate for this question. And im sorry but here it goes *Ahem:

Ok so for christmas I got an iPhone 4. And I started playing around with the photography apps. I started to take photos as a bit of a hobby and a friend suggested I put down a photography course on my CAO. The photos are REALLY good quality. I was wondering would I be allowed to do a portfolio with photos taking by an iPhone 4?
    I already have about 20 really good photos.
    Somebody please answer my question (For once! >:()

Really need help here!
    Potential college decision here people! :L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

If the photos are good then who cares what type of camera they are taken with. The photography portfolio should show you have an eye for photography. They dont need to be absolutely perfect because if they were you wouldnt need the course. If it's pointed out that they are taken with a camera phone you could always point out the fact that if that's what you can do with a camera phone, imagine what you could do with a dSLR.

Why not post the pictures up for C&C on the photography forum here and get great advice. Tell the folks there what you're doing and what you plan to use the images for and see if they can give you any pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 plosh

Thank you for the quick reply and the good advice. Ill do that thanks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Using a phone camera will never give you the same experience as a real camera. You could get away with it (I doubt it however) but if you're using those photo apps on your phone the graders of the portfolio will be able to tell a mile off they've been shopped by programs. Some photoshop in a few might be ok but you're letting a program do the work so how much of it is your creativity?

If you're serious about this and its not just a passing fancy, by all means apply but just warning you, you should play with real cameras and beyond auto settings before committing yourself to a course. That doesn't mean you have to spend loads of money, plenty of decent second hand dslrs and slrs on adverts.ie. A portfolio isn't just images, its ideas books, research books, even sketchbooks.

I agree with the last poster, stick them up in the photography forum, they won't mess you around and there's plenty or girls/guys that are in photography courses and can tell you what they know about applying.

Plenty of cheap DIY photography things you can do like pinhole cameras and camera obscures, it won't hurt to include some in your portfolio.

Ye thank you, you have a point. :D And I think im gona look into getting a decent camera instead. I was looking at some of my iPhone photos on my computer and there just not the same as the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

On one hand you could say in your portfolio interview that you represent the photographer of the new age but on the other hand the interview will turn their nose up at the iPhone photos.

Either way unless you're going for photography in IADT, most PLCs are just looking for an artistic flair and that you own an SLR. Throw in something like you prefer analogue photography they lap it up.

• Advertisement

Ye ill have a look into it then :D
    Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

maybe you should read some of the threads on portfolio's in the photography sections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

plosh wrote: »
    I was looking at some of my iPhone photos on my computer and there just not the same as the real thing.
    I wouldn't claim any photog. expertise at all, but that is what I would have expected tbh.

iPhones are absolutely grand for that quick snap-as-you-go, and certainly the quality of phone cameras in general is constantly improving, but you'll never get anywhere near the quality of a DSLR.

Advertisement