Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting day old papers cheaper in galway

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello Guys,
    I was wondering if anyone knows a place that sells there day old news papers cheaper the next day or do they send them back to manufactures mostly.

Like i do not mind reading the Sunday paper on Monday if it is cheaper. At the moment i am paying €2.70 for the Sunday business post. Seems a bit must for what you get.

Years ago at the end of the night in shops they used to give you the paper for free if they had already cut off the bar code but they do not seem to do that any more.

Anyone know how to get the paper cheaper?
    evoke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think they stopped the cutting thing after it was abused, they'd cut the paper and still sell it for less.
    Now they send everything back.

Try the library unless you want the paper to take home?
    Stick with the free papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

thanks biko.

That exactly what i see them doing now . sending the whole newspaper back. used to be good when they sent just the barcode cutting back.

Kind of wanted to take the news paper home to read. In american and england it is a big thing. you can buy old magazines at the markets.

Free newspaper do not have much business news in them.

It would be better for the environment and my pocket if they sold them cheaper the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I just set up an rss feed on thunderbird and look over them at my leisure, I've the Advertiser, the Irish Times and Independent, the Irish Economy blog, the sections of the BBC I'm interested in, and sundry other sites, blogs and news outlets all ready and waiting in your inbox. You can get the Galway Indo that way too, I'm sure most of the other papers do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 OldAtHeart

You could always go into a coffee shop or bistro that has papers, find whichever one you want, buy a cup of coffee for €1.50 or so and read it that day, I remember the Cellar had a good choice of papers and they did free refills of coffee and tea too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

hahah this reminds me of the recesssion tips thread where people were saying to forrage for food and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I use to work in a Newsagent.Every evening/night the barcode is taken off every newspaper and every paper is sent back for credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Aiel wrote: »
    I use to work in a Newsagent.Every evening/night the barcode is taken off every newspaper and every paper is sent back for credit.

This has changed under new recycling rules. All newspaper/magazine suppliers must now collect full copies of returns of newspapers and magazines. Gone are the days of cutting off barcodes or front covers. Daily newspapers are collected every day when the new ones are being delivered.

This ensures the proper recycling of paper.

Blame the Greens.

PS You can read the Business Post on line for free www.thepost.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

newspapers are a daft idea when ya think of it,

paying good money for day old news ha

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

OldAtHeart wrote: »
    You could always go into a coffee shop or bistro that has papers, find whichever one you want, buy a cup of coffee for €1.50 or so and read it that day, I remember the Cellar had a good choice of papers and they did free refills of coffee and tea too

That is a good idea. But a better idea is to buy the paper or get it free from a pub/coffee/restaurant after they are finished with it. Just need to find a pub with the papers i want.

thanks for the idea.

now that is recession buying.

ErnieBert
    PS You can read the Business Post on line for free www.thepost.ie

the online website does not have all the articles they have in the paper. i hate the old layout they have on it.they should really do it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I like a site www.newsnow.co.uk

It's updated every 5 minutes, with loads of news sources and is broken down into topics.

Everywhere now send the whole magazine and whole newspapers back when doing the returns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement