Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled to a copy of medical records?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently been to a few different doctors (and consultants) for various medical tests.

Upon asking for a copy of the test results, I was told by the various doctors that they would send a copy to my GP and i could diiscuss them with him.

All i can get out of him is "you're doing okay for your age". :rolleyes::mad:

Does anyone know whether i am entitled to receive (pay for if necessary) a copy of these results for myself in case i wish to pursue them with another GP?
    (Does the data protection act have any relevence here?).

Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

freedom of information act. theoretically you can access any information held on you by a company or such. in practice i dont know if that happens. in my experience i cant make heads nor tails of the results as they arent written in a way you can easily understand - unless its a report based on the results...
    if you changed GP's your gp has to forward your files. you could tell him you want a 2nd opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Yes you are entitled to a copy of them, but they will be written in medical jargon you'd need a doctor or nurse to translate them for you.

However, there is another bigger issue here. The fact that you're being blown off with an answer that does not give you what you need to know about YOUR OWN HEALTH.

You have to be more assertive with your own doctor. You had tests, and an answer of "you're doing ok for your age" in unacceptable. Tell him (without offending him) that you want to know the results and you want him to explain it all to you in a way and in a language you can understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

You should be entitled to them. I got records from Vincents Hospital just had to write a letter to the hospital records department requesting them under the FOI Act - they didn't charge but I think their entitled to if they like just depends on the company policy. Try writing to the Doc directly or the practice manager and see if they get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As far as I know expect in very limited situation if you request the under the FOI act you are entitled to them. It comes up at our meeting meeting every so often and the answer is always yes. You have to state on the letter the you are requestioning them under the FOI act in the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

thanks folks.
    I'm going to follow up with my doctor one more time and move if I can't get satisfaction from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

I think there may be a difference between public and private. Heard sth. about it not being so easy to get records if you went privately anywhere e.g. FOIA may not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

thanks folks.
    I'm going to follow up with my doctor one more time and move if I can't get satisfaction from him.

Good for you! You're entitled to know what is going on with your own health, and what recommendations are made and the pros and cons.

Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

As per the Data Protection Commissioner's website, you can obtain these records from your GP under the Data Protection Acts:
    3.11 Can I access my medical records under the Data Protection Acts?
    ]The right to access your personal data is a basic right and applies by law regardless of the type of body or entity which is holding your personal data. Accordingly you have a basic right to access your personal data held by a doctor, hospital, consultant treating you in a private capacity etc. In response to such a request you should receive anything held on file or computer by the health professional or facility that relates to you or from which you can be identified. This would include any manuscript notes kept that relate to you.

The only variation on this requirement is where in the opinion of the health professional or facility the release to you of the information could potentially be damaging to your physical or mental health it should then be made available to your GP who will then talk you through it. This is a variation in the right of access that should only be applied in the rare circumstances envisaged.

Hopefully your GP will give you more information this time around though.

Advertisement