Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fm transmitter - iphone or N8?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi everybody just wondering if an iphone4 has an FM transmitter and if so how does it work. Also i'm look for peoples opinions on both the iphone and nokias n8. I have an n95 and looking for a change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

No FM transmitter! I had a N95 previously to my 3GS and have never regretted moving to the Iphone!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

steloide wrote: »
    Hi everybody just wondering if an iphone4 has an FM transmitter and if so how does it work. Also i'm look for peoples opinions on both the iphone and nokias n8. I have an n95 and looking for a change.
    Hi
    just bought an iphone 4 from vodafone it went back after 3 days was charging it & it just shat itself would not work! Apple tech support could'nt fix it sent it back to Voda and still waiting...............idiot repair company mixed up my phone with someone elses & it took a decent vodafone person on the helpdesk to sort it result is i am still waiting as they keep saying they are holding it for testing.....my lesson is if you get an iphone4 from any of the network providers contact apple direct as the rest are absolutely hopeless. Other than that the i4 is streets ahead of anything else just doesnt seem to be reliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Thanks for bringing this up.........in identical situation.
    Everyone I know who has iPhone is recommending it.......but I'm still reluctant. Main reason for not going that route is that can't visit sites with flash. Thinking of looking at something running on Windows phone 7.
    Then again, would I mess flash that much on a phone??????

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭steloide

My friend has the iphone 4 (jailbroken) and he showed me most of the applactions he got for it. I'v had 90% of them on my (hacked) n95, not as fast and not as advanced but working. I'm wondering if a hacked n8 will be as fast and as advanced as the iphone4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You will need a license from the department of something or other in the government to run an FM transmitter.

Now an FM receiver is something else entirely.

Are you looking to run a pirate radio station, or to listen to the Strawberry Alarm clock on the bus into work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

I hacked N95, no. The power just isn't there, although it was a revolutionary phone at the time, and still holds its own very well.

I agree that the N8(and possibly C7's) hardware trumps the iPhone, Nokia have got too release one hell of an update before they lose all credibility.

My N8 can do pretty much anything you throw at it, and the software is very advanced. It doesn't have the smoothness of iOS, and these days thats a big selling point. Although the App Store has a zillion apps, and many are exclusive to the iPhone(vs Symbian), I think anything actually worth having from the App Store can be got on S^3.

Fairly Sure it falls under SRD, so no, you don't need a licence. http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/exemptions.541.488.html

just looking to play tunes from an iphone4 through my car stereo. there is a phono socket thingy on the car stereo thats all. I thought it might be possible to TRAMSMIT FROM THE IPHONE TO THE FM CAR STEREO (FM TRANSMITER):confused: or how does it work

just looking to play tunes from an iphone4 through my car stereo. there is a phono socket thingy on the car stereo thats all. I thought it might be possible to TRAMSMIT FROM THE IPHONE TO THE FM CAR STEREO (FM TRANSMITER):confused: or how does it work
    you have to spend e10-e15 on an fm transmitter to plug in to the bottom-i have one & it works ok only problem is that if you have it on a certain freq. and it's close to a radio station you keep having to move it. I fitted a parrot car kit to my girlfriends car and i can olny describe it as brilliant as you can plug in the iphone and use the parrot screen to scroll thru music and the sound is fab!

Thank for all that, looks like i'll have to buy an fm transmitter or a nokia n8 which still leaves that question hanging..........

NOKIA N8 or

iPHONE 4 :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

robinph wrote: »
    You will need a license from the department of something or other in the government to run an FM transmitter.

Now an FM receiver is something else entirely.

Are you looking to run a pirate radio station, or to listen to the Strawberry Alarm clock on the bus into work?

Not true, I'm afraid.

They were illegal up to a few years back, but that is no longer the case. A lot of Noka phones have them (my N900 does). Also, there are a lot of FM transmitters for sale in gadget shops (I got one for my iPhone in Liffey Valley in Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thank for all that, looks like i'll have to buy an fm transmitter or a nokia n8 which still leaves that question hanging..........

NOKIA N8 or

iPHONE 4 :confused::confused:

Have a read of the sticky "how to ask for recommendations". It all depends on what you want to do with the phone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Not true, I'm afraid.

They were illegal up to a few years back, but that is no longer the case. A lot of Noka phones have them (my N900 does). Also, there are a lot of FM transmitters for sale in gadget shops (I got one for my iPhone in Liffey Valley in Dublin).

Knew those mini ones were before, until they finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle of actually banning them any more. I just read "FM Transmitter" as being more along the lines of this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I had a cheapo transmitter which I got in a toy shop in Limerick a few years ago for about a tenner. It worked well with my N95 but was a pain having it hang off the phone in the car. Those ones you see for 50-70 euros are a crazy price.

I then got an N97 with a built in transmitter and I have to say I couldn't have a phone without one now, it's one of those things which you can't do without once you get used to it. They're legal now too, the range is only a few feet so they're not gonna interfere with anything important.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Have a read of the sticky "how to ask for recommendations". It all depends on what you want to do with the phone.
    Not so much a recommendation....... I'm sure one is better than the other. I supose i was hoping for a number of replys "FOR" and "AGAINST" then i could count them up and decide for myself??

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I have a Nokia C7 which has a FM transmitter. Its easy to set up and use and it works perfectly in the car. The quality of the signal from it is as good as an excellent radio station signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Nokia N900 also has a FM transmitter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

nokia n86 has it also

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I used this a couple of times, just to see what it's like.

First off, the N8's transmitter is very low power. This is fine for use in a car, but it's not going to work on other radios in the house if you put the phone in another room. Knowing Nokia, this power setting may vary with region, depending on local laws, but in Ireland, it's good enough for in-car use, or with the phone within 3~4 m of the receiver.

To use, it's fine. You can either turn it on from its own application, or from the Music Player's options menu. You choose a frequency (it would have been nice for it to scan for a dead patch on the spectrum, but it's not a major hardship), and then tune your car radio to that. If you've got RDS on your receiver, the station ID appears as "Nokia".

After about 5 minutes of no audio application running, the transmitter turns off.

Sound quality is actaully pretty good, but the lack of dynamic compression ("Optimod") means it might sound very thin and flat if all you normally listen to is pop/dance stations, but the actual sound quality is better because of this: more hi-fi than boom box. Just turn up the radio. :)

Personally, I'd take the N8 over the iPhone any day, but my needs aren't your needs, and even if it could do what I wanted, I do not rate the iPhone 4's design - awkward to hold, and ergonomically, it's a major step back from the 3GS.

Thanks krisW that is exactly what i was looking for thanks and i think i would prefer the n8 as well!!

• Advertisement

seaniefr wrote: »
    Hi
    just bought an iphone 4 from vodafone it went back after 3 days was charging it & it just shat itself would not work! Apple tech support could'nt fix it sent it back to Voda and still waiting...............idiot repair company mixed up my phone with someone elses & it took a decent vodafone person on the helpdesk to sort it result is i am still waiting as they keep saying they are holding it for testing.....my lesson is if you get an iphone4 from any of the network providers contact apple direct as the rest are absolutely hopeless. Other than that the i4 is streets ahead of anything else just doesnt seem to be reliable!
    Got my lovely iphone 4 back and couldn't be happier best phone i have ever had go for Apple! the lack of a transmitter is a very small setback...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fatherland

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could help... Looking to buy a fm transmitter for my iphone4s, to play my music through the car radio! Anyone know where to get a good one or have one to recommend to me.....Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

fatherland wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone could help... Looking to buy a fm transmitter for my iphone4s, to play my music through the car radio! Anyone know where to get a good one or have one to recommend to me.....Cheers!

Griffin do an iTrip. There are a few variants of the app, some use the headphone jack, some the 30 pin dock. The version I have used is the 30 pin dock and the sound quality was really quite good. Have a look on eBay or Amazon, there should be loads, at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fatherland

cheers for that

Advertisement