Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What USB HDD for softmod Wii?

• 31-01-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, I have been reading guides about softmodding a wii and seems better to run my games on a Harddrive instead of a disc but the lists that these sites provide for brands that work with the wii are a bit confusing and I was wondering could someone on here recommend me a good 300GB+ usb hdd that I could pick up in Dublin please? Cheap of course:D
    Just seems a lot of HDDs dont work very well and I thought someone on here might know better..

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Western Digital Passport works a treat for me, but to be honest a 60GB laptop drive (WD Scorpio iirc) thrown into a €5 enclosure also worked perfectly (old drive from my PS3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ive never had a problem using different random non brand hdd's, be sure to create a wbfs partition on it, and also, its the bottom usb socket that needs to be used, a common problem to the "this drive wont work with wii", you must use the bottom usb slot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

WBFS partitions are no longer needed. Fat32 and NFTS can be used now. Fat32 is recommended for compatibility issues.

Due to the MOD rules i cant tell you what program allows you to use these partitions. Google is your friend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Noice ! Shows how long since I've done it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 angryman010101

A long list of compatible external USB drives for running yoru legal Wii backups can be found here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cool thanks guys!
    I do have a toshiba 640gb usb hdd that I got last year for my laptop, it is half used up, but is formatted fat32. Could I use that and save myself a few quid? Or do i have to wipe it clean and have it empty to use on the Wii from the getgo?

To angryman010101: Yeah I had a look at that list last night and saw that my toshiba is not listed there, thats why I wanted to ask you guys what one to go for if theres one you could recommend to get in Dublin.

Thanks again everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Cool thanks guys!
    I do have a toshiba 640gb usb hdd that I got last year for my laptop, it is half used up, but is formatted fat32. Could I use that and save myself a few quid? Or do i have to wipe it clean and have it empty to use on the Wii from the getgo?
    :)

You can use that drive. You just need to Create a folder called "WBFS"

Google "CFG wii"

Advertisement