Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were to get married...

• 01-02-2011 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

...where would it be?
    Local church? Somewhere on a beach? Or where?

Where to get married? 133 votes

Local church
    0% 0 votes
    On a beach
    27% 37 votes
    Somewhere else
    18% 25 votes
    None of the above, I ain't the marrying kind
    53% 71 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

In my nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

neeeeeeevvvaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

neeeeeeevvvaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr!!!

Yer almost the woman of my dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Yer almost the woman of my dreams.

almost? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm never getting married.

Again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Vegas.

Missus might object though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Id get married in a funeral home - itd be great craic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yeah, when my fiance (and partner of 9 years) and I wanted to get married we were going to get married on a beach...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Definately not a church anyway, bar the fact I'm not a believer, a church wedding has to be up there with one of the most boring experiences out there (for me anyway).

I would love a beach on a hot sunny day but that would mean having to go foreign and a lot of friends and family probably wouldn't be able to celebrate it with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Dubrovnik.......been there for a wedding , spectacular!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

almost? :(

It's close. :o

On a beach... Or a mountain or something. Have the reception at home later for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Just for the experience, Vegas drunk as fcuk :D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A country where it's actually legal. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Not too bothered on getting married but if I do I'd like it on a beach or edge of a cliff. I don't get the Vegas thing. It's like the least romantic place to get married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

would like to get married in the same church my grandparents did, but would be hypocritcal of me since i havent been in a church in years. so id probably go for a nice hotel/castle with a registrar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

At a Kiss concert... In a full Gene Simmons outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Id go traditional, big church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

On the Moon.
    First to have a Honeymoon on the Moon...
    Lunatic wedding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Speaking as someone who got married recently, i have some advice for all the men here. Your opinions on weddings are irrelevant, its what the woman wants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Senna wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who got married recently, i have some advice for all the men here. Your opinions on weddings are irrelevant, its what the woman wants.

To be honest...and I mean no offence on your recent marriage, but if thats the attitude of a woman I was planning on marrying....then I'd be marrying the wrong woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

To be honest...and I mean no offence on your recent marriage, but if thats the attitude of a woman I was planning on marrying....then I'd be marrying the wrong woman

Ah... the idealism of youth.

Such a shame it always has to die such a slow & painful death. :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Woulnd't want a church. Outside would be nice but relying on Irish weather is kinda silly, though spose you could get a marquee or something...

Anyway I'm the guy, my opinion would only count if it backed up hers :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Forever alone :C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Seriously, the kind of women who take control like that nauseate me. Some of us dont want to have comlplete control over the men in their lives. And i'm and old wan. I'm also a single wan, and am begining to wonder do ye actually want to marry controlling bitches?

I'd have been saying the exact same thing a few years ago. But it a wedding, all i wanted to do was marry her, we could have done that for a hundred quid in a register office and afterwards it would have been the exact same as after our €25000 tradition church/hotel wedding. She wanted to have her day, i wanted to give it to her (oh err missus).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

The works for me. Big church, choir, fancy suits and crazy expensive dresses for the ladies. Reception in a swanky hotel, with free beer and food for all. An eye-wateringly expensive honeymoon, and then a murder-suicide.

I'd have been saying the exact same thing a few years ago. But it a wedding, all i wanted to do was marry her, we could have done that for a hundred quid in a register office and afterwards it would have been the exact same as after our €25000 tradition church/hotel wedding. She wanted to have her day, i wanted to give it to her (oh err missus).

Thanks is for the double-entendre :D

See thats just it - €25000 for a party.....no...just no. You could buy a car. or deposit on a house. Or emigrate and set yourself up comfortably in a sensible country

Idealism me arse.

Also.....youth me arse...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

If I was to get married one day. It would be a quiet, few friends invited occasion.

Maybe its just me, but i wouldnt trust the majority of my friends to actually show up and theres nothing worse than inviting X amount and only a small percentage was bothered to be there on my big day.

Thanks is for the double-entendre :D

See thats just it - €25000 for a party.....no...just no. You could buy a car. or deposit on a house. Or emigrate and set yourself up comfortably in a sensible country

Its not for everyone, maybe you wont be the person that has a tradition wedding, but most will. As i said above, its the woman who decides the wedding, I (men in general) dont really care, so if thats what the woman you love wants, why would I (we) argue.
    Its not that big a deal, and its not like i had to write a cheque for €25k;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I think a large majority of people think of having a small family wedding, I've seen it several times then the 'bridezilla' emerges and the small ceremony suddenly turns into 200 guests. Of course women are to blame on this one :o
    I have yet to meet a man who really has any input in the planning their only focus is to make sure their future Mrs has her day. I have noticed people still having large weddings cutting costs in a number of ways, getting family members involved, making invitations etc. It is generally very expensive and sometimes wasteful but it's (hopefully) the one and only time it will happen so it's probably worth it once people don't have to go into huge debt to fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Its not for everyone, maybe you wont be the person that has a tradition wedding, but most will. As i said above, its the woman who decides the wedding, I (men in general) dont really care, so if thats what the woman you love wants, why would I (we) argue.

Would you not prefer to put that towards something though, kids education etc..

hmmmm

Perhaps it's time i went high maintainance.

Being laid back, reasonable and having a sense of proportion dont seem to be doing much for my love life.

"Who were you talking to? Yes, I know you've been friends with Mark since school, but your with ME know and I don't think he is the right kind of person we should have in our social circle! You're not wearing that! It's been half an hour and i havent recieved a text form you telling me what you are doing, how dare you treat me like that! What are you thinking? I want , I deserve, I need..."/passive aggressive/tantruming/demanding/princess complex/

Hows that for ye guys? Any takers?

Weddings pay for themselves, most of what we spend was in the year or two running up to it, buying smaller things every so often. After the event i had spent about 3k out of my savings. Which was well worth it.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »

"Who were you talking to? Yes, I know you've been friends with Mark since school, but your with ME know and I don't think he is the right kind of person we should have in our social circle! You're not wearing that! It's been half an hour and i havent recieved a text form you telling me what you are doing, how dare you treat me like that! What are you thinking? I want , I deserve, I need..."/passive aggressive/tantruming/demanding/princess complex/

Is that you [insert my wifes name]?

only joking:D

just encase my wife reads this

Is that you [insert my wifes name]?

only joking:D

just encase my wife reads this

Ya see! Ye fecking love being treated like that!

Tomorow my symphony in me major starts, and i'll be married within the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A country where it's actually legal. :mad:

Come to NZ - they'll welcome you with open arms - no really, you can get a visa to live permanently in NZ if you have lived with your partner for more than a year, and that includes same sex couples. In Ireland even heterosexual couples had to be married until very recently. I was at a gay wedding two weeks ago. It was a great night!

I am getting married soon (well ish, next year) and I always swore I'd never get married in a church all through my teens and early twenties but when it came to it I found I want to, so the church is all booked. My Dad is thrilled and isn't a big part of the day for your family as well? It's not a Catholic church though, I think taking marriage advice from a celibate priest would be just too much. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I went for

None of the above, I ain't the marrying kind

Just cant see the point in getting married. The cons of it out weigh the pros. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Anywhere but a church/place of worship.

Also, I have to wait for some legislation to even start thinking about marriage. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I'm getting married in a few months.
    I am an atheist.
    So I am going abroad to do it abroad, in a catholic church, in Rome!

You might call it hypocrisy, I call it using and abusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Chapel O' Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Getting married in 3 months in the better half's local church, never thought I was the marrying kind. I suppose it takes meeting the right person, wanting a family etc. Anyway countdown is on.............cannot wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

on a mound of my enemies skulls

Registry office/hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭billlumbergh

My husband and i went to Gretna Green, just the two of us, it was perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I've no intention of ever getting married or having brats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I got married in 1996, it was a big wedding (200 guests) but nothing like the weddings of today! Ours set us back about £10000, but at subsequent weddings over the years we were amazed at the gimmicks that added heaps of expense that were not around at the time of ours. There are hired limousines, singers at the church, choice of meals for the guests (not available in 1996, back then nobody would have paid the exhorbitant prices!), balloons, chocolates labelled with bride and groom's name, gifts at the tables for the guests - it's bloody ridiculous and the guests won't remember any of those things, no wonder so many couples get themselves into debt.

If I was to do it again, it would be a Gretna Green job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Kiera wrote: »
    I've no intention of ever getting married or having brats.

you say that now :p

we are getting married in a church....but its ok though, our priest is very funny and can switch from the serious religious bits to jokes very quickly and easily .... my partner is his nephew too, so embarrassing stories are going to be told at the mass :D

also he was my aunt's priest at her wedding back in 2006 and everyone loved that he did the mass itself very quick he didn't draw it out, he's great fun!

our wedding is going to be a small and intimate affair, we are only having 50 close family members at the meal and 150 friends and family at the afters...we chose these options on what suited us and nether one of us wanted the 'big' 200 plus wedding, i am not one of these 'princess' brides, i just want a simple day that everyone including ourselves can enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

you say that now :p

we are getting married in a church....but its ok though, our priest is very funny and can switch from the serious religious bits to jokes very quickly and easily .... my partner is his nephew too, so embarrassing stories are going to be told at the mass :D

also he was my aunt's priest at her wedding back in 2006 and everyone loved that he did the mass itself very quick he didn't draw it out, he's great fun!

I'm 31 there's no changing my mind at this stage :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement