Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointers for Australia

Options
  • 01-02-2011 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Hey Ive decided to go to australia with a WHV in october and Im just wondering if anyone can give me a few tips.
    Where is the best place to start I was thinking Perth I want to do some rural work and what would be the best type would like to get a job on a farm just not sure what type to get, which would be the best bank to open an account with, im not a gaa lad so i was wondering is it easy to join a soccer team out there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Loads of Farm work in that part of the country, head up a bit north from Perth and your well in the outback. If anyone gets you herding animals through the bush on motorbikes watch out for big rocks in little bits of bush weed.
    Anywhere up near Coral bay is a beautiful place if you wanted to work in a rural area and have the best of beaches on your door.
    Don't be too upset if you never make it to the east coast it'll only suck up your money, the west is amazing and a lot less crowded.
    Wear sunscreen. Don't swim anywhere unless you know it's safe and free of croc's, try and not drive at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

well the only thing that interested me on the east was the great barrier reef and sydney opera house, so i presumed that i could get over there for a month, i really wanted to save up money since i dnt drink i just want to go somewhere to enjoy real australia more so than city life, so i presume perth would be the best starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've been in Perth four years now and couldn't recommend it enough. Great weather, fantastic beaches and so much to see within a few hours drive. I go somewhere new camping every long weekend and love it. Nightlife isn't too bad really and the outdoors lifestyle is a massive seller.

As for soccer clubs there's literally hundreds in Perth covering all levels up to semi-pro. I'm about to start my fifth session of amateur football and it's a great way to meet like minded folk. I much prefer it to GAA which I played in the States as we have a mix of nationalities at the club rather than just a load of Irish who I could be hanging around with if I was at home.

what sort of wages would i be looking at working on a farm, fruit picking etc around perth in order to get a second year visa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

astonaidan wrote: »
    what sort of wages would i be looking at working on a farm, fruit picking etc around perth in order to get a second year visa
    You know there is a thread on the first page entitled "Fruitpicking - How much can you earn? "

I'll let you find it yourself

• Advertisement

Sorry dude, I had started at the last pages so have been working my way up to the newest pages kinda stupid I know but i had missed it!! Slowly but surely Ive made my way up to 30 out :)

Advertisement