Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home heating oil

Options
  • 01-02-2011 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    Is there anywhere in Offaly where I can buy small amounts of home heating oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

tamara00 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there anywhere in Offaly where I can buy small amounts of home heating oil?

Mahon Oil on the Clara Rd. I am sure that they will sell you diesel also (MGO/old style heating oil) but they do sell drums of kero / dom / heating oil so just try and make sure that your heating system isn't ancient and then you're guaranteed to be on kero. If you check the Laois and Offaly forums on winter fuel prices, you'll see more about Mahon Oil but suffice to say that their price of 84cpl (cent per litre) is at the same price per litre as many companies for a €200-€300 fill i.e. a bargain.

If you haven't got a drum, they may sell the full drum initially, I'm not sure. Deverells in Portarlington do just that. You can bring back the empties for refills anywhere. But you should be able to pick up proper kerosene drums in a hardware store such as Glanbia up in Spollenstown or maybe Cloonans (not sure).

Mahons are currently 84cent so that works out at €67.20 for 80L. You will probably need around 100L to get your burner pulling / drawing as its gravity-fed and once it gets an air-lock, you (I do anyway) need a little more oil to coax it to life again (even though it practically drank the tank dry before cutting out).

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tamara00

Great, thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

the petrol station in birr thats beside the secondary school think they trade under corrib oil
    had small barrels of it for sale to at christmas i presume they still have them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Update for anyone interested. I needed to keep a 'small' bit of oil in the tank til summer breaks (if !!).

Got a few drums in Mahon Oil again today. Price has moved to 91 cent per litre. But that's still very good considering!! If you look at http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Offaly.aspx, the cheapest comparable fill, say 500L, from Jones or Corrib is about 88 cent a litre. So, not bad :)

€253 for 250L delivery from Emo. That's €1.01 a litre folks.

Keep the eyes peeled !! Cash is King

Advertisement