Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto paint

Options
  • 01-02-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Anyone know where i can buy good quality car paint in ireland
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

touch up? Aerosol spray can? Or liquid for spraying?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 robie55

luiqid paint to spray with a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

motorfactors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

You will probably get better help in Motors TBH

Thread Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

To do a full car? Best getting it from the UK. I recently priced 5ltrs paint plus 5ltr lacquer and hardner kit came to almost €600. €236 for same thing in UK including shipping!:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    To do a full car? Best getting it from the UK. I recently priced 5ltrs paint plus 5ltr lacquer and hardner kit came to almost €600. €236 for same thing in UK including shipping!:eek::eek::eek:

Was it the same brand ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Was it the same brand ?

To be honest I'm not sure. Gave them the code in both cases and they gave me the price.

When I mixed paint years ago (happy days, oh to be 16 again) we sold Sikkens and Lesonal, Lesonal was half the price of the Sikkens stuff. Sikkens was mixed off a program that autocorrected (if you wanted it to) if you put in too much of any of the ingredients, Lesonal was mixed off microfish recipies. As a paint they were much of a muchness.

So unless the stuff you got was the same brand the price comparison between € here and £Sterling in not overly valid :)

So unless the stuff you got was the same brand the price comparison between € here and £Sterling in not overly valid :)

I'll check with both and report back so. What should I be asking them? Just the brand of paint they use?

Yeah :) It will be branded like filters, pads etc :)
    If it is the same stuff that's a huge difference.

• Advertisement

Right so,

The chap I priced it with here originally gave me a price of €93 / ltr and that is for 'Nexa' paint, which was ICI apparently.

He also stocks 'Maxmair' @ €72.80 / ltr.

The chap in the UK is using 'Debeers' paint @ £26 + VAT / ltr, i.e. €36.80.

Opinions James?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

You can get paint mixed at halfords, supposed to be pretty good stuff aswell if you have the code. Think its about 60-70 a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What colour they'll mix is a different question though.

civichead wrote: »
    You can get paint mixed at halfords, supposed to be pretty good stuff aswell if you have the code. Think its about 60-70 a litre.

I don't know how comfortable I would be with that! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

What colour they'll mix is a different question though.
    I don't know how comfortable I would be with that! :pac::pac::pac:

I heard its generally ok but as with anything it depends who you get to do it.

Opinions James?

Not a clue to be honest, I know very reputable body shops use De Beers though :)

Not a clue to be honest, I know very reputable body shops use De Beers though :)

Looks like I'll be getting it from the UK then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

bebeers is good paint.....

is the paint here locally water based and the UK solvent based??
    can explain some of the cost difference

robtri wrote: »
    bebeers is good paint.....

is the paint here locally water based and the UK solvent based??
    can explain some of the cost difference

I know the price I got for paint here was definitely water based. Don't know about the paint in the UK but I was under the impression that EU Suppliers could no longer supply solvent based?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I know the price I got for paint here was definitely water based. Don't know about the paint in the UK but I was under the impression that EU Suppliers could no longer supply solvent based?

not sure about the EU on it .. i know it is here.. not sure about UK

• Advertisement

Right so,

The chap I priced it with here originally gave me a price of €93 / ltr and that is for 'Nexa' paint, which was ICI apparently.

He also stocks 'Maxmair' @ €72.80 / ltr.

The chap in the UK is using 'Debeers' paint @ £26 + VAT / ltr, i.e. €36.80.

Opinions James?

Do you have a contact for the guy in the uk 36 euro a litre sounds good

robie55 wrote: »
    Do you have a contact for the guy in the uk 36 euro a litre sounds good

It works out at €36 / ltr plus shipping (£18). Plus if you need lacquer / hardner they're cheaper too.

Some of the lads here have already said they are using good paint (De Beer).

http://auto-paint.co.uk/carpaint/

It works out at €36 / ltr plus shipping (£18). Plus if you need lacquer / hardner they're cheaper too.

Some of the lads here have already said they are using good paint (De Beer).

http://auto-paint.co.uk/carpaint/

Thanks, ya just googled debeer there and it sounds like good stuff

How much paint would i need, I need to spray engine bay and bonnet, would 1 litre of paint and lacquer be enough

According to some interpretation of the EU legislation, it's illegal to use anything else than waterbased paint on cars. And supplier should have records with addresses and names of anyone who buys the paint of them, so it could be forwarded to the authorities in case that they want to check upon the punter and how he comply with the environmental laws, handling of the dangerous waste and all that jazz.

What the interpreters of the legislation are not saying is, how come, in the name of jebus, that primers, basecoats, spray fillers and clear coats are still solvent based :D
    Or here, some of the new solvent based paints have less VOC than that waterbased stuff.
    Or here, how come that waterbased is double the price of solvent.

DeBeer is a good paint and 1 litre should do. You add a bit of thinner into the basecoat and hardener and thinner into the clear, so you'd have almost 2 liters of it. Plenty of stuff to do a small car.

Its just another way of getting money out of us, anything that suppose to be enviroment friendly is allways twice the price

And the still expect us to shell out to save the planet, that probally dosen't need saving at all

Thanks man, so you reckon a half litre of each would do

Depends on the paint and on the size of the bonnet, is it both sides? and the bay. To be on the safe side, 1litre of the base and 0.5 lt of clear + thinners and hardener should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jesus FiSe, your website is savage. Next time I'm in Limerick for any reason I must pop in - serious airbrushing going on *drroooool*.

FiSe wrote: »
    Depends on the paint and on the size of the bonnet, is it both sides? and the bay. To be on the safe side, 1litre of the base and 0.5 lt of clear + thinners and hardener should do.

Ya its a new bonnet so will need to do both sides, probaly get a bit extra would be handy to have a bit to spare
    Might take the bonnet to a pro yet, will see how the bay turns out first

• Advertisement

Jesus FiSe, your website is savage. Next time I'm in Limerick for any reason I must pop in - serious airbrushing going on *drroooool*.

No worries, just not as yet... Getting new workshop ready, we wouldn't fit into my current one :D

Advertisement