Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone call from O2 at 7:30pm

Options
  • 01-02-2011 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I received a call from someone claiming to be from O2 today. The call came at around 19:30. Their number was blocked on my phone screen which i thought was a bit strange. A guy with Northern Ireland accent was asking me if i was aware of O2 treats etc. Then asked me for an email address to enter some ticket competition. I gave him an old email address that i don't really use much anymore. He seemed to know the O2 details like O2 priority tickets etc. He also said that O2 would call for this, once a year. Strange time to call and strange that his number was withheld on my screen.

Did anyone else get these calls from O2 recently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Often had calls from 02 and Three at odd hours and weekends. If im not in the mood for listening to a dragged out conversation on their latest promotion I just tell them that and simply hang up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They can call up until 9pm 6 days a week (not Sundays) afaik, I just demand that they add me to the do not call list wait for them to say yes and then end the call. If they refuse they can expect alot of abuse and a complaint to comreg :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

O2 , vodafone and meteor all seem to be using third party companies to do thier marketing for them , I got a call last week from a cork 021 number with a lady telling me she was from Vodafone , i knew for a fact that vodafone do not have a call centre and asked the girl politely several times where she was calling from , eventually supervisor came on and admitted it was a company called Intercall management , turns out I got an upgrade in a shop some years ago and these crowd had my details and were canvassing for business for another third party , spoke to vodafone and they dont give a s**t,
    Serious breach of data protection in my opinion plus misrepresentation of the company that I do have an agreement with .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What drives me cracked is this blocked number malarky. How hard is it for o2 to have their calls come from 1909, or vodafone to do the same? I asked the question of the head of customer care on their forum, and she said that from independent research, more people are likely to answer a blocked number. My arse they are. The only people who ever ring from a blocked number are either a) Rude b) The bank or c) The phone company.

Anytime o2 ring me from a blocked number, I generallly give a load of non-shouty abuse over it down the phone over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You think thats bad. I got calls from the bank of Ireland (a call centre) regarding over due credit card payments. This has happened twice.

They ring up with the number not showing to ask me some security questions first before they can talk about the bank account.

The first thing I said to them was - how do I know you are who you say you are? I think both operators were a little stunned that I refused to give my details to some random person from an unknown number.

I think they were genuine as it is fairly easy to tell but at the same time this is not enough for me to know they are genuine when it comes to my financial accounts.

There are people out there with serious common sense issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Ridiculous. How could anyone trust a call from a blocked number? Asking private details etc. And at an evening time of 7:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi, we do have a call centre in Northern Ireland that call our customers in relation to offers available but if you're ever unsure you can ask them to send you a text from our servers to prove that it is O2. The reason we call from private numbers is that most people wouldn't answer our call if we rang from 1909 or a number known as O2 but I can understand how it can be frustrating.

If you would prefer to not receive calls from us regarding promotions you can let the O2 staff member know and they will immediately remove you from our lists, or you can send me a PM with your mobile number and I'll do this for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I guess, the best thing is, whenever you sign up for a contract, checking that the box 'I wish to be informed about promotions' is unticked...but that does not affect O2 only ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

O2_Sheena wrote: »
    The reason we call from private numbers is that most people wouldn't answer our call if we rang from 1909 or a number known as O2

Sheena, seriously, does that not tell you something? Why do you push out your calls when you know people don't want to talk to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I received a call from someone claiming to be from O2 today. The call came at around 19:30.

He called me as well.

I get calls from an 028 number every single day too, it's annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

The reason we call from private numbers is that most people wouldn't answer our call if we rang from ----

I would ever answer calls that come in on a blocked number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sheena, I have had calls from a withheld number, which turned out to be O2 (Limerick) where the operator asked for my name and details immediately on me answering.

Now you tell me that the reason why O2 does this is because people would not answer a call from O2?

Ringing people up from a blocked number and then asking for personal details is a really thoughtless business practice. Do you think about the security implications of these things at all?

This never happened with Danuta as boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yup, it was definitely a better company with Ms Gray at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I usually know when they call. When I answer and say hello and I get a pause of about 1 - 2 seconds I know its a call center of some kind and just hang up.

Or when they start saying im so and so from what ever comapny i just hang up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

vodafone are hassling customers from their NI call centre a lot right now.

+442890931070

The reason we call from private numbers is that most people wouldn't answer our call if we rang from 1909 or a number known as O2.

People are more likely not to answer to a number that is with held or blocked. People will NOT give private info to a voice on their phone that has their number blocked. WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

People are more likely not to answer to a number that is with held or blocked. People will NOT give private info to a voice on their phone that has their number blocked. WTF?

I can't agree that most people would not answer a blocked number. Most of my family and friends have their home phones and mobiles blocked these days. My own phones are blocked and people almost always answer my calls.
    However, I agree that O2 should have the balls to display the incoming number if they consider the calls legitimate
    As for the calls themselves. Just tell them not to call again. They are obliged to honour your instructions. As for private information - don't give them any. No harm in them calling really is there?.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal to get a call at 7.30 and simply say I'm not interestwed and please do not call this number again. Where's the hassle in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

As for the calls themselves. Just tell them not to call again. They are obliged to honour your instructions. As for private information - don't give them any. No harm in them calling really is there?.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal to get a call at 7.30 and simply say I'm not interestwed and please do not call this number again. Where's the hassle in that?
    From my point of view I think it is a disgrace that company's have no common sense in this regard. Why are they suggesting it is ok for people to give out sensitve account information (or even security for accounts) to unknown people calling on unknown numbers. It leaves it open for people to start phishing attacks and identity thefts.

For example, if I want to get information from people for identity theft. First I find an O2 bill with a name which I can put a number to (not sure if the number is on the bill). Then I ring that number from an unknown number, I can say I am from O2 (the person on the other end may not be suspicious as this is what O2 do anyway) and ask for account security information to confirm that the person on the other end is the customer but really be using it as an excuse to gather the sesitive account information. I can then use that information to contact O2 themselves and confirm that I am the actual customer (even though I am not). Then I may be able to make purchases etc using that account i.e. O2 will give me the power as if I was the customer.

This is a massive security risk that is encouraged by O2.

Axer, I am not disagreeing with you in the slightest. I said tell them nothing and tell them not to call again. I also said O2 should display their number.

Least, you think I said anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I can't agree that most people would not answer a blocked number. Most of my family and friends have their home phones and mobiles blocked these days. My own phones are blocked and people almost always answer my calls.
    However, I agree that O2 should have the balls to display the incoming number if they consider the calls legitimate

I keep my phone number blocked all the time but I put 142 in front of any number when I want it showing to the recipient, e.g friends.

e.g 142-01-123456789 displays your caller id to that phone number.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I keep my phone number blocked all the time but I put 142 in front of any number when I want it showing to the recipient, e.g friends.

e.g 142-01-123456789 displays your caller id to that phone number.

Why would you block your number? As a call comes in, i would find it strange that somebody would with hold their number. I understand that some people are X directory, but i was even thinking of blocking calls from with held numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Why would you block your number? As a call comes in, i would find it strange that somebody would with hold their number. I understand that some people are X directory, but i was even thinking of blocking calls from with held numbers.

Boy you'd miss some amount of calls. It's estimated that in the region of 40% of domestic landlines now have withheld numbers. It's a privacy factor and prevents businesses, in particular, getting your number. Blocking withheld numbers seems a childish. Answer the blasted call and if you don't want to talk to whoever it is just end the call or tell them not to call again. How difficult is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Boy you'd miss some amount of calls. It's estimated that in the region of 40% of domestic landlines now have withheld numbers. It's a privacy factor and prevents businesses, in particular, getting your number. Blocking withheld numbers seems a childish. Answer the blasted call and if you don't want to talk to whoever it is just end the call or tell them not to call again. How difficult is that?

I don't answer withheld numbers. I find it rude that someone would conceal their identity. Why don't home phone users keep their number public and if they receive a call answer it and if it's a business they're not interested in talking to tell them not to call again and hang up.How difficult is that?
    Same thing eh?

As far as the OP is concerned I agree it's laughable what companies do in this country. One day prior to be decision not to answer withheld calls AIB rang me looking to "update my details" and just needed me to confirm who I was with my D.O.B :eek:

Blocking withheld numbers seems a childish.
    Blocking your number seems childish. There is no positive reason that a caller would block their number for the recipiant. I can only think of negative reasons why people with hold their number.

If people don't want to show themselves, why would i want to talk to them?

Blocking your number seems childish. There is no positive reason that a caller would block their number for the recipiant. I can only think of negative reasons why people with hold their number.

Ever wonder why so many are ex-directory? You or members of your family have obviously never been prey to obscene or harassing calls. I have, and I'll not go into any details here, but there are many good reasons to prevent malicious calls by not making your phone number public. Certainly better reasons then to block all incoming withheld numbers. Also, you don't seem to be taking any cognisance of the fact that not everybody has caller display.

Anyway, irrespective of all that, back to Topic; I think getting niffed at a call from any company at 7.30 is a bit rich when there are so many real problems to be dealt with out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

axer wrote: »
    From my point of view I think it is a disgrace that company's have no common sense in this regard. Why are they suggesting it is ok for people to give out sensitve account information (or even security for accounts) to unknown people calling on unknown numbers. It leaves it open for people to start phishing attacks and identity thefts.
    I invariably end up in a Mexican standoff. Companies ring up and immediately ask me to confirm private details. I ask why. They say it's company policy. I tell them it's my policy not to give out my details to strangers who ring me out of the blue, and would they mind answering some security questions. Then I ask them to confirm my name and address, the balance on my account and my usual payment method.

We all managed for years to answer the phone before everything had caller ID. One of the many advantages was that you could call a company without them immediately saving your number and calling you back at inconvenient times. People only got your number if you deliberately gave it to them, instead of them saving it the second you call.

Thoie wrote: »
    I invariably end up in a Mexican standoff. Companies ring up and immediately ask me to confirm private details. I ask why. They say it's company policy. I tell them it's my policy not to give out my details to strangers who ring me out of the blue, and would they mind answering some security questions. Then I ask them to confirm my name and address, the balance on my account and my usual payment method.

Good point, the caller with blocked number should be firstly answering our secuirity questions, before we answer secuirity questions.:)

Thoie wrote: »
    We all managed for years to answer the phone before everything had caller ID. One of the many advantages was that you could call a company without them immediately saving your number and calling you back at inconvenient times. People only got your number if you deliberately gave it to them, instead of them saving it the second you call.

Well said. That's the whole point in a nutshell. What is the paranoia about receiving a call and not knowing the number it originates from? There's something almost childish about it. Plus, many phones still don't have caller display.

But back to topic. What is so wrong about your phone provider calling at 7.30 when all you have to do is either hang up or say "no thank you" and then hang up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Getting 3 calls a day from So called O2 staff. reported the matter th=o comreg. so when i do get calls from O2 I just play load music in2 the phone but the phone down for 5 minutes or so. Not even a customer of theirs, They been told to remove me from any and all lists. This is harrasment.

<SNIP> Not suitable </MODEDIT>

Advertisement