Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone call from O2 at 7:30pm

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I don't answer withheld numbers. I find it rude that someone would conceal their identity. Why don't home phone users keep their number public and if they receive a call answer it and if it's a business they're not interested in talking to tell them not to call again and hang up.How difficult is that?
    Same thing eh?

As far as the OP is concerned I agree it's laughable what companies do in this country. One day prior to be decision not to answer withheld calls AIB rang me looking to "update my details" and just needed me to confirm who I was with my D.O.B :eek:
    fonejacker.jpg

I've had UPC phoning me quite a bit from a NI number, +44 28 90530025, usually trying to entice me into getting their TV service as I have broadband only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

But back to topic. What is so wrong about your phone provider calling at 7.30 when all you have to do is either hang up or say "no thank you" and then hang up?

What was wrong was, firstly a blocked number, secondly an O2 call after normal office hours and third, a caller asking for private information.

I thought it was a bit fishy. First thing that came to my mind was, a scammer. I was just interested to see if anyone else here had a similar call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I get calls like that from a lot of businesses. if they ask for personal details i refuse. I have NO idea who you are so not going to happen.

One I remember rang and said they wanted to talk about my account - no idea y there was nothing owing or nowt. Right I says. They say we need to confirm security questions first can you give me your name and date of birth. No I say. Why they say. I don't give them out to strangers I say. I am not a stranger she says I am from (whoever it was, think it was the bank). First I say, you are a stranger. I don't know you. I can't even prove that you are who you say you are. Second I am outside in public. What has that got to do with anything she says. If I give you my name and d.o.b. over the phone then all the people around me are going to hear it too. So she says!!! I just told you I don't give my information to strangers. I hung up on her at this point with the most flabberghasted look on my face!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What you can do is turn the questions around. Ask them for their DOB and name and address. Say it is for security reasons. It really puts them on the back foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

O2_Sheena wrote: »
    The reason we call from private numbers is that most people wouldn't answer our call if we rang from 1909 or a number known as O2

Would that be an indication that you are aware that people do not want to hear from you about the 'latest offers' etc?
    If so, why do you continue to ring people even though you are aware that they will not want to speak with you?

(don't mean to sound cheeky by the way - genuine question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

I can understand that, the majority of customers are happy to receive a call from us, especially when it is for a new offer or promotion, which most of our calls are for. Sometimes though we need to call someone regarding an overdue bill, or an issue in their area or on their account, or for feedback, and in those cases we would rather not have our number show up.

Of course, if any customer is to say "I would rather if you don't contact me about offers in the future" they are immediately removed from our promotions list and we won't call again.

The shoe is often on the other foot when we get calls from customers wondering why we didn't tell them about an offer that came out a few months back so we're trying to get the balance right! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I can understand that, the majority of customers are happy to receive a call from us, especially when it is for a new offer or promotion, which most of our calls are for. Sometimes though we need to call someone regarding an overdue bill, or an issue in their area or on their account, or for feedback, and in those cases we would rather not have our number show up.
    Why? Why not show a central 02 number so that people know who is calling them and that if they miss the call they know who it was - they might even remember that they had forgotten to pay their bill and remember to do it when they see the missed call from O2. If they choose not to answer it knowing it is o2 then at least ye can see - "we tried to get you on the phone".

Can you see the issue with someone randomly ringing up from a private number asking personal security information?

Not everyone is smart enough to ask for further proof that the person on the phone is who they say they are so if O2 make a habit of doing this then such people are easily fooled by scammers. I would think they would have a case against O2 since they can argue it is normal for O2 to ring from an unknown number looking for security info thus why would they question the scammer claiming to be O2

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sometimes though we need to call someone regarding an overdue bill, or an issue in their area or on their account, or for feedback, and in those cases we would rather not have our number show up.

You'd hide your number when ringing for feedback ? Strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sheena, you really need to sort that policy out with the powers that be in O2. It makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not with O2 and on reading your excuses, more so than the complaints, I'm glad I'm not with O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Sheena, you really need to sort that policy out with the powers that be in O2. It makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not with O2 and on reading your excuses, more so than the complaints, I'm glad I'm not with O2.

who are you with just curious cos what she says makes sense, i mean how many times have you rang your provider giving out(not you personally in general) i did it all the time then realised the nicer i spoke with them (them being meteor) the better i was treated. plus on the whole private number thing when i owed monies to o2 and they called me from a number i regonised i know i didnt answer it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

caspa307 wrote: »
    who are you with just curious cos what she says makes sense, i mean how many times have you rang your provider giving out(not you personally in general) i did it all the time then realised the nicer i spoke with them (them being meteor) the better i was treated. plus on the whole private number thing when i owed monies to o2 and they called me from a number i regonised i know i didnt answer it ;)

I can't quite catch what you are saying here. :confused:

I'm with Vodafone and never get calls from them.

As for not answering when they called about owed money; then you are clearly part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What you can do is turn the questions around

Or tell them like it is..

NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

I can't quite catch what you are saying here. :confused:

I'm with Vodafone and never get calls from them.

As for not answering when they called about owed money; then you are clearly part of the problem.

read it again you should understand

also i belive the problem is o2? i dont work for o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

axer wrote: »
    Can you see the issue with someone randomly ringing up from a private number asking personal security information?

Exactly what i was thinking. A stranger calling, withheld number, asking for private details. How can we possibly believe what the caller is telling us. Could be a pack of lies.

Sheena, your excuse for a blocked number, is about chasing people for money owed. But that was not the reason for my phone call.

How hard can it be for the phone company to have a universal number like a logo?? Just a simple 'O2' on our lcd screen to show who you are.

Advertisement