Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike to work scheme? Internet sales

• 01-02-2011 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

Bike to work scheme

I was looking into a particular bike , the info pack states that you can purchase the bike anywhere, Do you have any experience with this?

the bike is located in the USA.

thanks

CH

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lazairus wrote: »
    Bike to work scheme

I was looking into a particular bike , the info pack states that you can purchase the bike anywhere, Do you have any experience with this?

thanks

CH

In theory your employer can buy the bike from the USA, but they will have to pay import duty, and then self-assess VAT, so I suspect this significantly impact on any potential savings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

AFAIK Vat will be charged at 21% and customs duty @ 5%. Not sure how accurate this site is but seems to tie in with what I thought - http://www.dutycalculator.com

Also, if you have a read of the revenue guidance document from http://www.bikescheme.ie/get-info-pack . under the FAQ's the bike can be bought (by the employer) anywhere.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Customs duty on complete bikes is 14%, and VAT is added to the duty-inclusive price, making a total "tax" outlay of just under 38% on top of the purchase price and delivery charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Lazairus wrote: »
    Bike to work scheme

thanks

CH
    Buying outside the EU is likely to work out very expensive with duty and transport costs. If buying from inside the EU all you have to do is ask whichever company you'd be buying it from to zero the VAT on the invoice which your employer will have to pay. Once your employer has paid this they then add on the Irish VAT rate at 21% (currently) on to whatever amount they were invoiced for and they then subtract this new total from your gross wage as a lump sum or as agreed installments over a maximum of 12 months.

I bought a bike from a German site using the BTW scheme.

Advertisement