Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to install above the Maximum RAM???

• 01-02-2011 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2430-402 running XP SP3. it is a P4 256ghz and currently has 1 GB of RAM. I have been having probs with my cpu continuesly running at 100% and I was hoping to add an extra 1GB of RAM to see if this would help.

While looking around for a good price I have come across a few sites stating that the maximum RAM for my comp is 1 GB. (2 x 512). I am just wondering if - being that my comp is an older model and 1 GB Ram modules weren't available when I bought it, could this be wrong as I could just pop in 2 x 1GB instead of the 512's.

Would this work and more importantly, What are the risks if any of installing above what is supposedly the maximum ram.

If there is another quick fix to stop my cpu running at 100% most of the time and increasing speed that would also help. I have done all the usuals, Defrag, Clean Up, Clerared cache.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It might not be recognised.

I'm not sure about technical compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 countknickers

Victor wrote: »
    It might not be recognised.

I'm not sure about technical compatibility.

Thanks Victor,

The Ram I use is DDR SODIMM PC 2100. From what i've read it is compatable with a P4. What has made me question it is the fact that the recommended ram for XP is 2 GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Port Royale

..... my cpu continuesly running at 100% and I was hoping to add an extra 1GB of RAM to see if this would help.....

XP runs perfectly fine with 1GB of RAM!

instead you should check what application is causing the high CPU load:

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL and start the Task Manager
    to view cpu usage, click the Processes tab
    you can sort by clicking on the columns' headers

Hi Port,

Ya I have been keeping an eye on that and normally Chrome and Firefox runs it to 100%, Also svchost?? and spybot. I have a constant prob with my flash crashing also.

I recently removed Reg mechanic and it seem to have helped a little but not enough.

There also seems to be a lag at times where my System Idle Processes are running at about 95ish % and I have to wait for about 30 secs or else refresh a web page and wait even longer for some programs to open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

To be honest, my first port of call when the pc/laptop is acting up is to back up any important data and then do a complete format and reinstall of the OS. It's only if that doesn't work that I go onto looking at hardware solutions.

• Advertisement

Improbable wrote: »
    To be honest, my first port of call when the pc/laptop is acting up is to back up any important data and then do a complete format and reinstall of the OS. It's only if that doesn't work that I go onto looking at hardware solutions.

Ideally I was hoping to not have to go to the bother of doing that. (Even though it's looking more likely)

hey countknickers,

system Idle process at 95% is gand. it means the CPU almost doesn't do anything.

svchost could be many things. a lot of system tasks use svchost (e.g. Microsoft update)
    you could try process explorer from Sysinternals (Microsoft)
    go to http://live.sysinternals.com/ and save "procexp.exe" to your desktop.
    it'll give you a tree view of all running tasks. when you hover over them it'll give you further info/clues. it is a way more advanced "task manager"

Chrome and Firefox at 100% could be an issue with a plug-in/add-on.
    disable all of them and see if chrome/firefox still take all of the CPU. if everything looks fine enable half of the plug-ins and so on.

from a certain point on I totally agree with Improbable. before going mad with new hardware do a clean install.

hey countknickers,

system Idle process at 95% is gand. it means the CPU almost doesn't do anything.

svchost could be many things. a lot of system tasks use svchost (e.g. Microsoft update)
    you could try process explorer from Sysinternals (Microsoft)
    go to http://live.sysinternals.com/ and save "procexp.exe" to your desktop.
    it'll give you a tree view of all running tasks. when you hover over them it'll give you further info/clues. it is a way more advanced "task manager"

Chrome and Firefox at 100% could be an issue with a plug-in/add-on.
    disable all of them and see if chrome/firefox still take all of the CPU. if everything looks fine enable half of the plug-ins and so on.

from a certain point on I totally agree with Improbable. before going mad with new hardware do a clean install.

Hi Port,

I used that and a lot of the CPU usage seems to be coming from Interrupts. Getting between 30-50%.

Any Ideas?

Hi Port,

I used that and a lot of the CPU usage seems to be coming from Interrupts. Getting between 30-50%.

Any Ideas?

hi, that could be driver related. can you confirm you have the latest drivers for your laptop and there are no issues or unknown devices in the device manager?
    Drivers:
    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK

device manager:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/devicemgr.mspx

...and in regards to the RAM upgrade, you already have the max (1024):
    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?PRODUCT_ID=65029&DISC_MODEL=1&service=UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how long has the laptop been running without a system reformat? They tend to get bloated, and use more resources (like RAM and CPU) the older the installation becomes, and the more crap and registry errors that are allowed to amass.
    Ideally I was hoping to not have to go to the bother of doing that. (Even though it's looking more likely)
    I used to think so to until I realised the real bother is tolerating the errors for umpteen months while i try to semi-casually track down the cause of the error, which is usually not one thing, but several things. All of which can be knocked out in one afternoon by a reformat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

1GB is plenty for XP, do a fresh install and don't install any crap this time

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    1GB is plenty for XP, do a fresh install and don't install any crap this time

it was a fresh install and I didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Do you have more that one anti-virus installed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

1gb should really be all you need for xp, throwing more ram at it is unlikey to make it faster as there is clearly some other issue thats slowing it down, its not the ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

[QUOTEThere also seems to be a lag at times where my System Idle Processes are running at about 95ish % and I have to wait for about 30 secs or else refresh a web page and wait even longer for some programs to open.][/QUOTE]

download and run "winsockfix"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try this to be on the safe side
    Fysh wrote: »
    The F-Secure Rescue CD is a good one - best way to use it is burn the CD, connect the machine to the network via ethernet, then boot from the CD and follow the on-screen prompts.

also worth running a diagnostic program on the HDD in case it's slowing stuff down (backup your data if you haven't already done so)

Advertisement