Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axa Fuel Card

Options
  • 01-02-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

Mod feel free to move if in the wrong section, but I think this is relevant to motoring and would get a better audience.

Seeing a reply to a very old AXA free puncture repair thread from Bargain Alert section, I got to look around the AXA website.

There is a fuel card offer in conjunction with Topaz and the petrol is 138.72 compared to my local station which is 142.9/143.9.

There seems to be significant saving there (relatively speaking). I'm assuming this only applies to AXA customer (Which I'm). I'm definitely thinking of signing up (Will read the term and condition later tonight when I do)

Does anyone on boards already use it?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Its a rebranding of this afaik:
    http://www.motorcard.ie/prices_this_week.php

Works in Topaz and anywhere taking DCI fuel cards which is actually a lot of places. The proper Benchmark version is open to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Might save a bit if you're running something that's heavy on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

I have that fuel card. This week's price for unleaded is 139.02 Not gonna change your life but on a full tank in my car it saves bout €6. You'll usually find one or two stations that charge less on their forecourt price but the big advantage is that you can get that price at any Topaz station which means you don't have to be constantly budgeting your fuel to make sure you pass a cheap station to fill up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

how does this work? do they take money out of your bank account

Yeah once a month it's direct debited from your credit card account. Just looking at it now, my prices are very slightly higher than what appears on the link above. It's the Topaz card I have but I got it through benchmark. Don't know why theres a difference....

• Advertisement

Just rang them there. The card I have I got through a groupscheme at work. Seems it's slightly cheaper if you go direct....

Nice one....I'm now signed up!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

so just to confirm, there is no charge if you don't use this card?

Handy to have alright and always good to save a few quid a year but I don't do as many long jouneys as I used to.. so I wouldn't bother getting this if its going to cost me more than I save.. :)

No charge at all. Just be sure you sign up for the motorcheck card and not the motorcard. Same supplier - Benchmark but with the motorcheck card you get the free text messages with the weekly prices whereas on the motorcard you have to check the price yourself online....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I got the card through Axa. The billing and payment schedule isn't publicised very well so I phoned their office in Galway, this is how it works....

The do the billing run on the last Monday of the month, then they direct debit your current a/c (no credit cards) two weeks later. This means that I'll be filling up today at 138.72 (yesterday was billing day) and I won't have to pay until March 14th. According to pumps.ie the cheapest price in my area today is 145.9 .

When you purchase fuel, the station will give you a receipt with just litres, they don't quote the price so it's up to you to keep track of your balance, you can do this on the web by registering for online access.

One more thing, the card comes with a PIN but not all stations ask for this so make sure that you make a note of the phone number and get it cancelled ASAP if it goes missing, otherwise someone will be filling up at your expense.

Note that not all Topaz filling stations accept the card.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the groupscheme Topaz card seems to come out of your credit card account but the Motorcard/Motorcheck/Axa card is direct debited from your current account.

The Topaz card is accepted by all Topaz stations so I'm covered even if they don't take the motorcheck card

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Its a rebranding of this afaik:
    http://www.motorcard.ie/prices_this_week.php

Works in Topaz and anywhere taking DCI fuel cards which is actually a lot of places. The proper Benchmark version is open to everyone.

Is there a difference in fuel prices between the one from Motorcard and the one from Topaz. I have searched the Topaz site http://www.topazcard.ie/
    to try to find the prices but they are not listed whereas Motorcard do list them. http://www.motorcard.ie/prices_this_week.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

check www.fuelcard.ie

it gives the topaz prices for the card. they are updated weekly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A bit O/T, but I got rid of my DCI card today. Started off a few months ago 5/6 cents below the normal price. now its more expensive than a lot of places.
    I was in New Ross when the DCI price was 1.34/l for diesel, yet a garage was selling for €1.29. Even though they accepted DCI, I was going to pay 5c/l more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The benchmark card always charges the lower of the 2 rates and having it is effectively "free", so you would do well to simply sign up and get it to hold onto. Working well right now and on those 48hr price hikes as the card price is valid for a full week.

And just to reconfirm, the Benchmark card appears to be DCI compatible too, Ive used it in loads of places, not just Topaz.

Advertisement